Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• edited November 2022

Not sure why you are challenging it. It happened. Why? I don't know. Besides the point - note, telecom, text message, homing pigeon - it happens in football when players are asked to get bookings by their manager.

• Perhaps with the lip readers lurking in the trees he couldn't take the chance?

• edited November 2022

I speculated in the summer that losing Stockdale and going for a loaner rather than Blackman could well be a sign that budgets were being tightened. Signing Stryjek would certainly have saved some money, though since then we've also signed Alfie which I can't imagine will have come cheap, so maybe budgets were being squeezed with that in mind.

Since then we've lost two coaches without replacement and this week I see a physio left without anyone replacing her so far.

I suspect it's too early to speculate on next year's budget, we may yet have an FA Cup run, I guess it's feasible we might reach the play offs, there will certainly be player sales to tide us over. But I also don't see the Couhigs' business model generating much revenue. Food is too expensive and poor quality. The 'worldwide wanderers phenomenon' means £170 online season tickets and I'm not certain they were sold in their thousands. Merchandise is of variable quality. At the moment - and let's hope I'm wrong - none of the development squad look likely to generate big sell on fees, though a couple look like they have potential with the right nurturing. I'm not seeing many big name advertisers on the electronic hoardings (which are already broken in large segments).

We've not heard much about the new stand or access roads for a while...

• We must have a new GK coach. There's no staff profile on the site, but then Dobbo doesn't have one either...

• I think the reason we didn’t go for Blackman is because we didn’t want him. Occam’s razor and all that.

• We were bidding £250k for players only three months ago and GA was stating that he had money to spend..

• Plus, if we don't go up it is likely that Mehmeti and Forino would be sold, perhaps bringing in north of £2m.

• Surely Mehmeti and Forino alone make the development squad concept a roaring success??

We don't know whether or not we offered Blackman a contract. He appears to be doing OK at Exeter - no more. Perhaps GA considered first Bishop and then Max a better option.

Couhig was always very clear that he did not intend to put money into the club on an ongoing basis. He was attempting to invest to build revenues. In truth, (I suspect not to the surprise of many), the initiatives to build attendances do not appear to have been successful . Our average attendance would put us upper mid table in Lg2. We continue to battle to outperform that reality against the long term trend of all things to revert towards their mean. This remain heady days for the club but perhaps will not prove sustainable in the medium term. Perhaps we would all be well advised to enjoy them while they are here.

• Very few people know the true financial status of the club but our current wage bill hardly suggests we’re cutting much cloth.

• I think that might be a problem, @floyd. Vokes, Mawson, Tafazolli, Scowen, Horgan, Kaikai, Obita, Hanlan are probably all on large salaries, maybe others. I think most of them have contracts that run out in the summer. If we don't get promoted I can't see Gareth being given the budget to offer many of them new deals unless they're willing to take pay cuts.

• Off the top of my head, I think they're all OOC in the summer apart from Hanlan

• edited November 2022

It's been a while since Rob talked about Wycombe as an established Championship club, has it? Does he still believe that? I'd be interested to know if he's recalibrated his outlook.

• I love the sense of gloom that kicks in when we don't win a game or 2.

And the classic "rumours" about money being tight surfacing.

Probably from the same source that brought the Revs stuff out.

• I don't know if you remember but a few people got bent out of shape when he talked about going for automatic promotion this season.

• Of course, but he's been very quiet this season (apart from when he said on Wycombe Sound before the Charlton game that he was even more confident about promotion chances than before the season started 🤔).

• Horror vacui.

• Come on. You can’t have your owner giving a running commentary on how the season is going. It’s too intrusive. He’s set the expectations for the season. We’re only 1/3 of the way through. Let’s see how it pans out.

For the life of me, I can’t understand all these people suggesting they feel disconnected with the club.

We’ve got more content and interaction than I can remember in my lifetime. We’ve got 30+ minute pre-match drill interviews. Gaz gives 2-3 interviews a week. Players give 1-2 interviews a week. Chairman sends out emails approx bi-monthly. What on earth do people expect?

• This isn’t a @micra correctness thing, but I really don’t like bi-monthly (or bi-weekly, etc) because it’s not immediately clear whether the thing in question happens twice a month or every two months.

• edited November 2022

I wasn't even complaining, just remarking that he's been surprisingly quiet in general - certainly relative to the previous three seasons.

• Well said, but if you think there are some gloomy posts on here I beseech you not to venture onto the Facebook pages!

• edited November 2022

I think it's very easy to understand why people feel disconnected, though: extortionate prices, Americanisation of the club (fireworks etc), an underwhelming summer transfer window after so much talk of pushing for automatic promotion, and poor on-field performance draining the atmosphere.

• Oh, and how could I forget: that bizarre episode with the Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana.

• edited November 2022

There's a professional wind up merchant on there called Tilley who the admin refuse to ban.

Even though after every single game he'll post a Trevor on full gloom mode type post like

"Even though we won today, that was a poor performance and we need a change in manager"

• edited November 2022

• Where are the large broken sections of the advertising boards? I looked out for problems on them last night and didn't see any.

• Yes I forgot to say, I was impressed they were fixed so quickly. At the weekend almost the entire section in front of the terrace was out and there were two smaller blocks along the main stand both out. All fixed for last night, so credit where it's due there.

• Yes, I could see next season being very transitional indeed, and it is possible our best chance at getting back to the second tier has gone. However, if we could keep Forino (I expect Mehmeti will definitely be gone but am clinging to hope with Chris) I would be happy with a tenacious, small squad with a starting XI something like:

Stryjek

McCarthy

Forino

New CB

New LB

Gape

Thompson

Freeman

Wheeler

Hanlan

New Forward

A major part of the disappointment of this season for me is the nagging sense that we had a two season window to get back up, one of which went out the window at Wembley, and the other of which is currently snakebitten from every angle. I would not even be so bothered if the only Champo season had not been played behind closed doors, or if we had managed a second and/or third season up there.

If reality bites and we have to cut our cloth, I actually think it would be easier to deal with the slings and arrows if we are once again a plucky upstart rather than a squad loaded with ridiculous individual talent.

• I have a feeling big Chris could be on his way sooner than Anis.

Chris appears to have masses of untapped potential which teams in the top 2 tiers love. Anis strikes me as being nearer the finished player.

Love to keep both for another year mind!!

• Perhaps we should scout more Albanian players if Anis cannot even get near their squad!