Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• We've bought ourselves another week to hopefully get Gape back in there.

But we have a freebie on Tuesday then a promising run of games again.

Though I'd overlooked the Cambridge home game had been squeezed in between MK and Morecambe, but that's still 3 teams in the bottom 7 coming up.

• What an enjoyable afternoon!

Plenty more of those to come with the squad we've got and if we're still within touching distance when (if?) we get all our players back then this could be a very special season indeed.

A little word about Sam Vokes this afternoon. That was an elite level performance from a superstar at this level. To think we have him up front and Mawson at centre half ......you just have to pinch yourself at times.

• His handling was brilliant today, held on to shots that others would have parried. His kicking and spotting a quick pass to set off counter attacks need working on, we might have been spoiled by Stocko but it gives something for new recruits to aspire to.

• Totally agree. I loved Stocko but Max could be an absolute legend on the scale of the great Martin Taylor.

He is a great find and although the whole episode with the Man U keeper damaged our early season performances, I believe Max may make it all worth while in the end.

The Polish king has landed!!! Maxwell’s silver hammer.

• Other than our much less impressive ability to win second balls (because of so many injuries in midfield), that was the best we’ve looked all season. If we can play that well most weeks we’ll be in the playoffs.

• The third goal was just surreal. At 2-1 in the 94th minute our central defender is on the left wing. He isn't heading for the corner flag and he is ignoring just about 100% of our support's plea to shoot. Instead he plays a sublime pass and the outcome is it's 3-1, cue mass exodus of Posh fans towards the exit. My favourite moment of the season so far.

• The 3 and half hour drive home was a lot better after the win . A good atmosphere in the terrace today. Great team spirit , I think last week's win has brought the team a new found confidence

• If Stryek's biggest flaw is his inability to kick like Jordan Pickford then I'll take that. He is the first name on the team sheet!

• the home crowd was small and passive, probably because their team hadn’t scored more than one goal in a game since August 20, which in turn was most likely because their primitive, limited tactics offer few surprises these days.

• I suspect the low crowd is because of the mini budget and the absolute chaos and fear that has generated. People know they are going to be skint and are saving money up front.

I thought we were excellent. Freeman was my man of the match, mainly because he’s been asked to become a midfield battler, box to box etc and he’s doing an unbelievable job. Add to that his touch, turn and cross for Vokes, we would not have won that game.

overall we were excellent all across the park.

I thought Peterborough were poor and have become very negative and cynical under McCann. They were like us 3 years ago!

I think we’ve had to evolve slightly and sometimes GA gets the best out of the team when he’s boxed into a corner and forced to try something new. This is what’s happened with 4 midfielders out. 3-4-1-2 for large parts yesterday and it really worked. We worked so hard, I thought Wing had one of his best games for us.

We’ve lost to 6 of the top 10. 4 away and 2 at home. Given our injuries, that is not the end of the world.

Hopefully the run of games coming up will give us more opportunities to win games and by Xmas I suspect we will be hovering around the play offs.

• Freeman's done ok in a b2b capacity, but you wouldn't want him there any longer than necessary

• A bit late to the party but....ALAN 1-0 ALAN

• edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A signing that was greeted with a little disappointment after the Bishop hype. Who pulled this one out the bag deserves a big pat on the back. Lee Harrison ?

He also strikes me as a bit mad and angry - which I love in ‘keeper.

• So much other good stuff going on, no-one has mentioned G-Mac’s lobbing of the keeper which came back off the post, late on. Utterly ridiculous piece of skill for this level.

• I think if that was the case he would have been substituted at half time. Odd comment.

• Mawson scoring from halfway would have been amazing, but I think the way we played it was far more satisfying - toyed with them and made them think they had a sliver of a chance of getting back and stopping us 👌

• Agree with @glasshalffull Max kept us in the game with some assured shot stopping at vital moments. He makes tricky saves look relatively easy at times.

• The point about Vokes is important. At this level he's a superb target man, with brilliant touches, and can poach fantastically. We haven't got the ball to him in dangerous spaces enough during his time here.

• @ReturnToSenda I beg to differ - GMac went for goal.

• Not sure if its been mentioned, that away following was pathetic for a club near the top and fairly close by.

• I can think of three surprises Alan.

And the few (very few) posh fans I saw exiting the stadium after the final whistle looked like they had been hit in the face with a wet fish.

• GMac didn't look overly happy when he scored....

• That's because of the abuse he had been getting from the Posh fans all half . . . . . "you're just a s@!t Ivan Toney". Think that maybe have been why , (Mat Cecil?) announced the goalscorer as "The Not So Good Ivan Toney"?

My guess is it was taking all his mental strength to not stick 2 fingers up at them in retaliation as he has recently come back from a 3 match ban?

• Seriously? I was pretty much right behind the flight of the ball and that was 100% a shot (in my view)

• I just don't understand where Alfie comes from for our third. To have the physical ability, never mind the anticipation, to the win the initial header, see Anis stop the second ball, and then manage to be an outlet for a pass that late in the game is amazing. I can't believe he plays for us.