Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Ridiculously? Didn't he shove the guy off the ball a few metres from the goal?

• A stream of about 10 or so left on the 2-1 goal!

20mins to go. Absolute madness.

Can understand leaving when you've gone 3-1 down on 93:50 or so with 4mins extra time! But 75mins with one goal in it?!

• I remember it as a friendly pat on the back that had the unexpected effect of a close range shotgun, but it may be perspective.

• He's just so good for this division it's almost cheating.

I swear when he fouls people he just does a "I'm Alfie Mawson" look to the ref and gets away without a booking at times because of it.

• On another note, how many players did they have go down with "injuries" today only to leap back up.

I don't know if you clocked it on a stream, but the stocky defender was getting almost pantomine jeers after he got back up, putting on the fakest of limps to try and disperse the abuse, and failing!

• edited October 2022

To be fair, it's all he did the whole game

• edited October 2022

To be fair to there number 12, I felt a little sorry for him with the pantomime jeers. from where I was sat, it was quite a height he fell and he looked properly hurt for most of the game after.

Lucky to have landed arse and head first rather than just head, as that could have been a properly nasty landing. Whilst I don’t think anis fouled him, it did look like a bit of contact mid air that unbalanced him.

• Yeah, I didn’t think he was faking either - as you say he looked pretty crocked some time after the incident happened - I know some get into the method acting thing, but feigning injury even several minutes after you’ve earned the team a break in play/a round of Lucozades from the bench or whatever, is an above-and-beyond dedication to the footballing thespian’s art.

• I don't see where you'd regularly fit Freeman in when you play today's lineup.

But in a 4-3-3 the furthest forward of the mids is up for grabs.

• There was one guy who wasn’t having it he wasn’t moving from behind the net for a good five minutes after the rest had gone.

• Probably fair.

And I think he was the guy Mawson roasted past late on, so maybe he was still feeling it.

The player of theirs who took an unarguable knock was the left winger who absolutely soared past Forino, giving him yards head start too. Haven't seen such effortless pace like that for a fair while.

• edited October 2022

In fairness, I've sat there to the bitter end before, even when watching us annihilated 6-0 at home to Huddesfield.

So probably of that mindset!

Did wonder what the point of bringing Mellor on was.

About 10seconds of action, nowhere near the ball, and an appearance and presumably win fee!

• Once we get Scowen back to add that midfield backbone, I think the 4-3-3 is the answer.

However, what a game and I just want to bask in the glory of our win. Well done lads!!!!

• It's all looking really rosy again.

4 points off 6th, 2 bottom 3 teams coming up, FA Cup draw on Monday.

Even Tuesday's cup game looks a good opportunity to get Hanlan and Mellor properly back involved.

• edited October 2022

How good was Mawson for that 3rd goal ?? Calmness personified, class !

As I've said before, we are so lucky to have him.

Great 2nd half today and we deserved the win, but the sooner Scowen is back the better, there was times today when we literally had no one in a midfield position.

• Hugely enjoyable match! We struggled 1st half, but that goal on half time completely changed the momentum. A brilliant 2nd half, where we really seemed to regain our swagger. Loved how we played after going 2-1 up. Yes we defended deep, as you'd expect, but we were calm in possession, counter attacked superbly well at times and could easily have put the game to bed before we did.

Some really big performances, but a special mention to Stryjek who made some excellent saves today. His handling is superb. There were a few shots he held, that he could easily have parried out. I'd actually say his handling is superior to Stockdale's. His distribution can be erratic, but it improved as the match wore on today.

• Lovely stuff from the man Swann.

His match report is littered with spelling mistakes but I enjoyed this one most:

’Posh did rally after Sam Vokes had fired Wycombe in front with Burrows twice testing Max Stryjek, who was the buisier goalkeeper throughout, but there was really any constant pressure.’

• A week is a long time in football. Recently, we were a Kwasi league one outfit but now resemble a team in the Hunt for promotion. In Gareth, we Truss.

• We have the best goalie in L1 for the second season in a row, despite it being two different players.

• I guess, though might be wrong, bringing Mellor on means he qualifies as a first teamer for Tuesday? The fewer first teamers we have to risk the better.

• A fantastic bit of skill, but not strong enough to be a centre mid. Largely anonymous in the first half, and sadly there are 3 better attacking mids than him to start

• Excellent result. Second half was a much improved performance on the first. The goal just before half time was key. Getting injured players back is clearly important. Next 6 league fixtures are against teams below us, so a real opportunity to get hopefully a lot of points and push towards the play off spots.

• Per Twitter, Bayo rocked up at 0-1, with GMac and Anis having both promised to score if he showed up. Love it!

One more thought about Mawson (sorry if anyone has already mentioned this). Not only did it end up resulting in a goal, but his decision to dribble forward also milked a clock that was close to expiring. If he had wildly ballooned a shot wide (note: he is so accurate that it is more likely he would have scored) Posh may have JUST had time to sail a goal kick down to our end again. As it was, his coolness meant the 2-1 was guaranteed, and also happily ended in a sealing goal anyway.

• Was anybody not shouting "SHOOT" once he'd put the defender on his arse just inside their half?

• If it does, then that's clever.

Though i'd have thought being involved in the squad would have qualified him?

• It was utter genius on all levels. From the sprint, to the strength, to the composure, to the simple yet perfect pass.

Lovely.

Having seen him looking less than best pleased at our defence after the first goal, I'm glad we start looking more competitive so he doesn't have even the slightest regret at coming here. Though all signs suggest the opposite.

• A fantastic 2nd half display against a team that on paper should have dispatched us with ease. After a bright start we struggled to get our game together while Peterborough played with impressive fluency and looked like they would run away with it.

Our well-worked goal before half time might have been against the run of play, though it was a sign of what was to come. As much as Freeman's outrageous turn to set up the ball 2nd and Mawson's tour de force to create the 3rd was live long in the memory, the most pleasing thing for me was our never-say-die spirit of old. Our success in recent times has been in no small measure due to turning around deficits through sheer determination, though there was also a calm measuredness about our play that bodes well for the future.

• Big improvement in the last 20 mins and a great way to win. Looked better for having McCarthy pressing forward high onto the full back and making them hurry that first pass.

I thought Vokes looked sharper too. His goal was excellent, although it was the chance he nodded down for Mehmeti (which he then hit over) that shows how crucial it is that we hit him with the long balls. Stryjek’s kicking is still far too hit and miss for me and needs a lot of work.

To be honest I still don’t think we played anywhere near our best and the current midfield is almost incapable of winning a tackle. Although I suppose you could argue that makes the win even more impressive.

• Brilliant touch and turn from Freeman for the second goal as well. That was probably the highest quality bit of play in the 90 minutes and it was certainly the crucial moment.

• Think how good we're going to be with everyone fit again?