Skip to content

Alan Parry’s BFP article

Comments

• You have obviously clarified the content of your article and agreed that you should have elaborated slightly, so maybe time to move on.

• Isn't that a somewhat hypocritical response. I believe I am not alone in considering your opinion in the BFP article to be rather condescending!

• I really must read that article but I promise not to comment on it, even though that would be my first comment directly relevant to this thread.

• I have stated my case and acknowledged that I could have been more specific. I expressed an opinion, others have disagreed with that opinion and that is their prerogative.

• I dare say some of the fb wind up merchant lot would be in awe at the amount of bites that article got.

Top class.

• edited October 2022

Ok then, can you name them all please. You have obviously done the research to be able to back your article up. Can you reference there anonymous Twitter name with there Facebook names so you don’t have any duplicates and if there are more than 50 (about 1% of the 5000 that came to the last home game) I’ll be shocked. If you can name 250 - the 5% mark - I will be utterly amazed.

your article was nothing more than the printable version of the “get fucked” tweet some fan put out towards fans that didn’t agree with there point of view, but at least they had the decency to apologise for it.

• If you want to attack my post it would help if you got your facts right. I was referring to a percentage of those who post on Facebook and Twitter, not a percentage of Wycombe’s average home crowds, who obviously support the manager. There are posters on those platforms who have maintained a long running tirade against GA, often using personal insults, but only appear when we lose, rarely when we win. I am allowed to disagree with them which is what I did in the article, and I have already said that I should have made it clear I was talking about a minority.

• There are 6,700 members in the facebook group aren't there? Want to answer @TheDancingYak 's question?

If it's acknowledged as such a small minority why does it justify an article in the local press?

• Re, your point in you're first post Alan. As someone who works in the building industry.... you'd be amazed at how many people stand over the professionals and try and tell them how to do their job ! Usually doesn't end too well when they are told "well perhaps you'd better do it yourself then".

I blame the Internet and Google, everyone thinks they are experts these days at everything

• Partly because the near constant criticism of GA on the Facebook group is absurd and deserves to be called out. Although AP could have been more careful in making that distinction, i don't understand why anyone is surprised by anything in the article.

• I recall a very similar article was published in the matchday programme in the Autumn of 1995 about then manager of Wycombe Wanderers Football Club.

I suspect it’s been rehashed for almost every single manager we’ve had since.

To be fair, I seem to recall an article published in the Spring of 1996 had a very different tone to the one that preceded it.

• edited October 2022

I wasn’t attacking your post, I was attacking your condescending article.

but ok, fine. Let’s say you were referring to only those on Twitter and not the fans in general. Are there more or less people that use those platforms than home fans (5k ish) at the last home game do you think?

Because the funny thing is the maths isn’t on your side either way in this.

if it’s greater than 5k, then I still want to see your research and the number of unique people you think you were talking to that have been having a go at GA or calling for is job. I still think it’s a lot less than 50 but happy to be proven wrong.

if it’s less than the 5k figure I mentioned - are you some kind of bully that uses he’s position and privileged to write an article in the local paper when you might be having ago at as little as maybe 10 or 20 of our fans? Don’t you think that’s alittle bit of an over reaction?

Or, and I might be going out on a limb here, do you think you might, just might, be doing exactly what those that HAVE called for GA head have done, and completely talked out your arse?

let’s simplify it though with one question:

When you sat down and wrote it, how many people did you actually think you were referring to/pointing it at?

• The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

• edited October 2022

Assume your talking about me? Where am I protesting?

I’m holding a journalist to account for his awful article attacking a such a small number fans that it’s really not worth this level of discussion let alone a local paper.

The article was a cheap shot at people just for having a different opinion.

but yeah, I’ll “protest” and call out someone that tries to bully others. Especially when I am sure at least a couple of people he’s referring to have obvious learning difficulties and use both platforms as some kind of inner monologue. Sue me.

• For the first time in decades I miss not buying the BFP to what this storm in a teacup is all about.

• There are a huge amount of posters, but the massive majority will never make any posts.

• But the drone army still account for a tiny proportion of the fan base overall

• To be fair to @glasshalffull he raises some interesting points about the behaviour of some sections of our fanbase (any clubs fanbase) and it is a reflection on the wider society as a whole. I do think he could have worded things a lot better but this negative, often personal and unkind criticism of players, managers and particularly referees really needs to be called out as unacceptable.

The media could do with reigning it in, particularly the TV companies covering the games.

Obviously I disagree that you have to have worked in football to have a view.

Let's hope we smash Posh on Saturday (1-0) and life is looking rosy again!

• If that Facebook group is as bad as everyone says it is I do wonder why people bother looking at it.

At least on here you get an interesting cross-section of views, even if you don't always agree with them. Plus you get the odd hilarious post, and regular thread de-railing going off on huge tangents which I'm all in favour of.

But it's always worth remembering that this is a tiny little group of Wycombe fans who are mostly a bit bored at work or in retirement. You can come on here after a defeat and think "blimey, Wycombe fans have turned against Ainsworth a bit", but it's about 20 people having a rant. There are many thousands of Wycombe fans all over the globe and we all know that the vast majority love the manager and would be gutted if he left.

• Definitely. The loud minority always make their voices heard though.

• You make a very good point about TV companies covering games. Some of the Sky pundits have hammered players, managers and referees on a regular basis but that seems to deemed acceptable by Sky employees, whereas a number of paid up supporters moaning about performances of their team and sub standard referee performances get lambasted.

• With social media so readily available, it's inevitable the night after a defeat for any team will have some rash comments made.

In days gone by you might just make the comment to a pal, but now it's written for all to see.

• However, the usual moan about refs should NEVER cross the line to violence, that is disgusting!

• If what I'm reading here is the full article from the BFP then I'm staggered by the responses I'm reading.

Thicker skins required all round I'd say.

If you're going to make those kind of comments about your football manager - and I'm sure they will have been made on social media - which is all AP says. Then expect to get called to book and reminded of the reality of life. That's not bullying as has-been suggested

Similarly if, as a journalist, you criticise a vocal minority expect someone to take a pop back at you. No journalist opinion was ever agreed with by all. You should continue to speak your truth - that's your job - and be proud to do so. It's up to the individuals reading it to amass enough differing view points to determine the actual truth.

• I wonder if there’s a refs’ forum where they share their amusing tales about the crowd shouting “you don’t know what you’re doing” even though they are spot on, and stuff like that?

• I never gave refs much jip when I was playing, maybe 2 outbursts in 100s of games.

One of which was telling the ref what a bottler he was for not dealing with some aggro guy who punched one of our players.

A couple of weeks later I entered my other team's changing room to see him there...the dad one of my teammates! Small world.

• edited October 2022

So what are we saying? The number of people that posted anti GA things is actually a tiny number that didn’t require any comment because they’ll always be the odd person that shout at trees for growing up?

I don’t get why were giving any of those comments any oxygen. Like a fire, let them burn out.

and that’s before we even mention the obvious WUM that troll people to annoy - and we know from this forum there’s always at least one. Well, well done for them to catching the big fish that is the “legendary Broadcaster” Alan parry and goaded him into an Allan Swann-esque rant in the local rag.