Skip to content

Alan Parry’s BFP article

Totally predictable article from @glasshalffull in this week’s Bucks Free Press. He does take his role as defender of all things Wycombe Wanderers , very seriously. Most sensible fans absolutely support Ainsworth and are not calling for his head because of what he has achieved for our club. However they are allowed to have an opinion ( because they invest in the club, ie season tickets, merchandising etc etc) without being ‘ called out or even mocked’ by the article. Clearly supporters have strong views on our indifferent transfer business, lack of loan signings , the ability of development players etc and have every right to voice it.

Comments

• Yep, came across as condescending in the extreme.

• You are perfectly entitled to hold and express whatever views you wish @davecz

Alan Parry is perfectly entitled to express his view that you are mistaken

• And presumably people are allowed to say that that expression is predictable and patronising, and so on forever.

• edited October 2022

Fickle fans go over the top with the woe is us routine. Club positivity officer points out the positives.

It's pretty much the day in day out battle we see on this forum.

• edited October 2022

If that's what it was, it would be fine, but it read as a snide little dig at supporters - some of whom are frustrated but mostly aren't wetting the bed. No need for it, certainly not in a 'newspaper' column.

• I think AP should save himself the words and sentiments and just paste GFGG (goon fans gonna goon).

Would be a lot quicker for everyone involved.

• You also never know with the BFP if they've just introduced random stuff of their own into the article like with James R's post including twitter rantings in the body of his piece.

• As someone that has no experience in writing articles or in the media in general, I feel am not allow to comment.

• No parry no party

• Have no idea how many Gasroomers share the enjoyment I get from watching the Lionesses. They really do play the beautiful game. They know their positions and roles inside out. The games flow smoothly with the majority of passes both accurate and precisely weighted. Mostly on the deck too.

The wide attackers mostly hug the touchline and frequently display the kind of skill and trickery when tightly marked that we only see from the likes of Mehmeti at our level.

To compare the levels of skill and organisation with the football we’re used to watching is probably a little unfair but it is remarkable that women’s football has evolved as quickly as it has. It’s wonderful.

• edited October 2022

Wrong thread? Or something most of us missed in AP's article?

• Just read the article once I got past about 100 pop up adverts on that shambolic website.

It’s utter patronising garbage. I haven’t seen loads of people wanting GA sacked and we’ve been having a moan about his tactics and subs since day one. That’s just football supporters and most of us are as entitled as AP to have a view. Surprised he didn’t mention his usual story about having a piss next to MON.

• Haven’t read the article but, against the suggestion (if implied) that all is well currently with the Wanderers and the style of football we’ve been watching lately, I just wanted to draw attention to the contrast between the beautiful game, as played by the Lionesses, and the scrappy, disjointed stuff we have been watching.

I’ve had a frustrating day. I originally intended to open a Lionesses thread but doubted, sadly, whether there would have been sufficient interest. I saw this thread and thought (without the benefit of having read @glasshalffull‘s article) that my thoughts might fit the context.

• Why compare us to the Lionesses though, and not say Man City, who probably play the best football in the country?

This game certainly has the potential for being one of the worst watches of the season so far.

The emergency we can do nothing about of course, and then 2 injury breaks.

We've had 30mins of actual play and literally zero of anything even remotely attacking intent so far.

• I compare the two because they are the only complete matches (including the Euros of course) which I watch. I’m not interested in Manchester City’s millionaires.

I really enjoyed the Lionesses style (as you might have guessed) in a way which, with great sadness, I’ve not experienced so far this season watching my beloved Wanderers.

That’s all.

• edited October 2022

Magical moment at the Kassam. Mawson to Forino.

• The @glasshalffull column is certainly in contrast to the Plymouth match report which is also printed on page 71 of this week's edition of the BFP. Our local reporter states, "We are going down. Something isn't right. Something needs to change." I know who's musings are perhaps more considered.

• Do keep up.

That quote was from some twitter rant merchant, terribly edited by the BFP to look like they were the journo's words.

• The squad is far too good to be relegated. Ridiculous comment by whoever wrote that.

• Wow, that's seriously sloppy. I can understand making a hash of a tweet embed in an online article, but for the error to remain into print...

• Ha ha...just read it.

It's about the most Alan Parry article one could imagine

Could have been written at any point over the last 35 odd years. The record hasn't changed

• edited October 2022

Agreed, but I think it is the condescending manner of expressing those opinions that riles some of us lesser mortals!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2022

In my opinion there are two extremes of thought in the relationship between fans and professional players/staff. One extreme is the disrespectful "We pay your wages" attitude, used to justify abuse and ill mannered behaviour from the fans.

The other extreme is "fans are clueless, having never worked a day in football" which is just as disrespectful in the other direction. Supporters give their time, money, energy and attention to their club, and should be allowed to vent through the disappointing lows just like the exhilarating highs. Also, fans all spend countless hours closely analyzing our team. No, it does not mean we are qualified to manage the club. However, it does not mean we are always wrong either.

Case in point - in the 3-0 defeat to Bolton, supporters were almost unanimous in decrying the fullbacks pushing up and leaving the centre backs massively exposed. Having not worked a day in the game, were we all just failing to realize that it would have been 6-0 if the fullbacks had been more cautious? Just one example, but it is perilous to ignore concerns of thousands of generally intelligent people just because they don't work in that field.

Fans can veer into unsavoury behaviour, but most are decent, normal folks, and are the lifeblood of the game. How quickly we forget the empty stadiums, soulless games and lost monies of the Covid matches! Without supporters and our passion, emotions and opinions, it really is just a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around in a park.

• edited October 2022

The latter extreme is worse imo; it's like saying if someone hasn't been an MP, they can't criticise the government.

• Bless James R. Apparently Forino ‘smashed’ in a header today. Personally I’d be describing it more like ‘guided’ or something.

It’s also taken over the Facebook pages the non stop links to the shi77y BFP website. And don’t even get me started on the typo’s in the reports.

Why not just set up their own BFP Sport Facebook page? Could even have someone sponsor it and earn a few quid.

• There clearly were not any of those fickle fans at the Kassam stadium then. Despite what was a pretty poor game and very much backs to the wall defending till the end of the brilliant/fortuitous goal - depending on your view of Mawson's cross/shot - all the nearly 1400 fans were right behind the team.

I'm convinced that had it not been for their encouragement and vocal support we may well have buckled and conceed in those final 7 or 8 minutes.

I even felt slightly disappointed when the ref blew for time about a minute early, by my reckoning, as I was hyping myself up for one last gallant piece of defending.