Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Matt Crossley for me. Best defensive player I've seen and and seemed to always be in a defence with everyone in the right position.

• edited September 2022

You'd put Crossley ahead of Mawson?

I loved some of the non league boys who came into the league, but you have to remember the levels being played at for these comparisons.

I see some rate Hyde above Taylor for instance too, which again feels crazy.

• Matt Crossley was a real 'Steady Eddie' superb man marker, never caught out of position, as he never had any ambition to go forward. His distribution was a chip forward to Guppy or a huge punt to Scotty. But for all his reliability, I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Mawson,McCarthy,Bates,Al Abd or Doherty for marshaling a back four.

• Mawson was and probably is still a much better footballer but that wasn't the exam question. I'm also not saying the players @ChasHarps weren't great too. I just liked the quiet non chest thumping calm of Crossley above everything.

All those mentioned are great but if we are going back to challenging opinions I'm not biting.

• For me, the development squad is already a massive success but we have to find a way of getting them many more competitive games throughout the season. If playing more competitive games means joining a league of some sort, then maybe that is the answer. I appreciate we cannot join a league this season but maybe some thought in that direction for next season.

I think it is unfair to the young lads to be patched together for the odd competitive game here and there. There needs to be a chance for them to play together as a team and to gel into a system akin to that used in the first team.

• edited September 2022

Fair play on the slightly different element I'd probably missed.

But don't get mixed up between debating opinions and putting someone down for theirs.

• That'd be an Ajax style utopia.

It's a difficult conundrum really. No-one has the appetite for the old reserve league type set ups, so how do you develop your players quicker?

Does playing 2 or 3 games in some bitty cup do that? The english leagues seemed to think so, hence the idea of the U21 teams playing in this cup.

But does it actually develop them? Jury is probably out.

Probably better for some of them to go out on loan and play regularly.

• Yes the jury is out but although sending them out on loan gets them competitive game time, it does nothing to help them as a team. This is a difficult one indeed.

Maybe @ReturnToSenda could advise on options?

• With our squad size, such games give fringe players competitive games and a chance to shine. Just a shame they were so poor.

Think Ainsworth learnt from that performance that our development squad doesn't seem to have any obvious unpolished gems (hopefully a massive overreaction from one game).

On the basis of the talk about the quality of the development squad I stupidly put a bet on Wycombe to win (a free one).

• They're not really a team though are they, we don't have the numbers?

Or maybe we can just about squeeze an 11 out?

Someone earlier was saying he hopes we'll be "ruthless" with them.

I thought we've been pretty quick to know when to call it a day with players so far to be honest.

• edited September 2022

It's worth bearing in mind that the development squad will be a roaring success if we unearth one gem a year. Mehmeti was the inaugural breakthrough two seasons ago, and though Forino is a work in progress, he has still played often enough and well enough to be last season's gem. I don't see anyone obvious for this season, but the likes of Pattenden and AAH (if he is considered development) have gained first team minutes, and some others (Leathers) have shown something.

We don't need them all to be amazing, just one solid discovery per year.

• Your last paragraph is one other chippy ‘contributor’ would do well to recognise.

• I dare say we all at times thunder a post out a bit too quickly without realising it reads a little harsh :)

• @Malone think I was the one who raised the ‘ruthless’ agenda, think I said I was pleased (rather than hoped) we appear to be quite so (cf Pendlebury).

• Yep, took your meaning for sure.

Pendlebury surprised a few of us, but probably mostly due to that 2 goal salvo and a few appearances here and there.

But the level needed to take a proper step up is huge really, and we've done amazingly to have 2 make that step so far.

• I was at Cheltenham, despite the excellent goals the game was passing him by in midfield, he was in the team due to injuries, never good enough in the broader mid role. Good luck to the lad.

• Maybe we ought to have a few more home midweek afternoon friendlies against National League full-time sides to keep the fringe players up to speed? Charge £4/£2 to get in with that money going to a nominated charity. Something for the retired people to come & watch & it may help up the game of a few youngsters.

• GA usually seems very upbeat even after a defeat, but in his Wanderers TV interview post game he sounded very disappointed, comments like, “we didn’t even do the basics”, in terms of competing, winning headers, and standing up to a physical Stevenage side.

Which is fair, obviously. I also watched the pizza cup game v Spurs kids, and our dev squad looked a lot better in that, presumably because they were up against young academy players rather than experienced pros.

But I guess if the lesson learned for some of the dev squad is that they’d be better off being loaned out to toughen them up and give them the true idea of senior football then so be it (not that GA said that, that’s just my speculation).

Anyway, as others have said, if we even get one or two players out of the current crop (beyond Mehmeti and Forino) it’ll be a good return.

• Is your definition of a ‘chippy’ contributor someone who politely disagrees with you?

• edited September 2022

🎣

……guess that depends on one’s definition of politeness

• What a good idea. Not sure Shaun the groundsman would be too chuffed but we could play them up at Marlow Rd.

• Would also enable us to take a good look at the up and coming National League players @A_Worboys

• Why would National League clubs wish to play midday midweek friendlies??

• And how many people would realistically go and watch?

I'm not sure you'd get more than about 20 people, and it'd just be a big loss leader opening the ground up surely. There wouldn't be any money for charity?!

• Used to get a few dozen at reserve team games. Is there even a version of the Capital League anymore or has premier league U23 stockpiling killed that?

• So why wouldn’t they? Some are full time and would love the chance for a game mid-week. Using AP may not be the way forward and that is why I suggested Marlow Rd. If possible it would give our development squad more games.

• Used to love nodding off at reserve team games

• I used to like the Capital League mid afternoon games at Adams Park. Free to Season Ticket Holders, Main Stand open and I seem to remember being able to get a hot drink. Usually around 100 people there I think.

Excellent way to spend an afternoon at work…

I remember seeing Andy Baird in his early days and confidently predicting he’d be our first £million pound player.

• Andy Baird would have been if it wasn’t for those big bad bruiser defenders who kept kicking him. Wonder what his career path would now when the same defenders would rolling around on the floor.

I don’t see a path from development to first team that gives those a players the toughness needed. A league doesn’t work as u23 squads already done this and the quality of player seems to still lack this ingredient. The club doesn’t need a high performing development team. Just a place for players to finish their progression.

Maybe the loan market is the only option

• I don't think that is a realistic idea because most National League club prob have squads of a very similar size to ours. Also, the fixture lists (in the early part) are much more congested as they will have FA Vase, early FA Cup rounds as well as league games to play.

I go back to my suggestion earlier in the year of having a team registered in an U-23 league. Then there is consistent games against different quality opposition and can be free scouting as we can see who's going to be released and snap them up or loan them if they could play in the 1st team