Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• 3-0 Stevenage. Tales will be told. Songs will be sung. Just not about this game.

• His confidence might be a little off by now. Conceding 3 a game regularly must hit you somewhat.

• Freekick outside the area - the crowd awaits with bated breath. And I literally mean "breath" singular, as there is only one fan present.

• Just another brick into the wall, unfortunately.

• It will be exciting to see which is higher after this, our xG or xY (Expected Yawns).

• Another free kick. Watching through my fingers because the suspense is so palpable.

• What do we gain/learn from bringing Obita on at 2-0 down?

JJ was playing to gain minutes. Why risk an injury? Bring a young player on.

• Woke up half way through the game to see us 2 down. Glad i hadn't banged a tenner on this.

• Jasper on of the few bright spots, The centre backing pairing of Forino and Wakeley is far from convincing. Leathers has some nice touches. Horgan yet again contributed next to nothing. Dickinsons distribution and general kicking was very poor.

• I stopped listening at half time. The constant banging was rather annoying.

• Thoroughly depressing.

• Al Hamadi has looked decent since coming on. We really do seem to have brought Horgan to rock bottom with this competition his only meaningful minutes at the moment. Not convinced at all by Wakely or Parsons, I’d be surprised if they made it. Leathers has potential. Really not seen anything of Young that has impressed me much past being neat and tidy.

Dickinson made a couple of decent saves at the end but certainly not good enough to be a number 2 yet - he needs a Liam to have a season of first choice. Hope Stryjek doesn’t get injured as that could be a major issue. Pattendon has a huge amount of potential, but not as right back. I’d like to see him given a chance in his natural position, attacking midfield.

• The most disappointing thing to draw from this evening is that there really isn't anybody knocking on the door of the first team at the moment

• Disappointing fare all round.

Pattenden probably our best player, followed by Leathers. A few nice runs from AAH too, but he still looks very much a work in progress to me.

I was disappointed with Young, previous games I've seen him he's looked like a future Scowen in the making but he needed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck tonight and he didn't do that.

Danny Rose has seemingly not been prolific anywhere else he's played, but we made him look like a world beater tonight.

• edited September 2022

Al Hamadi tends to get himself in good positions, but up to now (besides the headed goal in the League Cup) seems to scuff or snatch at the final shot when shooting with feet. I have a theory that once he bangs one in he will loosen up and really start to take off - I think he just needs that confidence builder of seeing a shot go in.

• Disappointing performance, although it’s fair to point out that it looked like a strong (ish) Stevenage side - based on the slightly unscientific measure of nearly all their squad numbers being under 20.

Not sure anyone made a pressing case for first team inclusion including the likes of JJ, Horgan, KaiKai and Forino. Not much from Sam Vokes either.

Pattenden and Leathers probably best of the youngsters. AAH put himself about a bit when he came on.

Not a night to remember. Need to beat Posh to qualify. Bring it on!

• More then that, it’s very worrying that a team including Vokes, Horgan, JJ, Forino and Kaikai can be rolled over by a (presumably) not quite full strength Stevenage.

• Hasn’t Tyla only played four league games? Fairly sure that would mean we could sign an emergency loan if Max picked up an injury (unless Tyla coming on as a sub mid-match?)

I was surprised to see Max on the bench tonight. I suspect they have a loan deal lined up for Josh?

• Poor result. Development guys a long way short of first team standard. We needed to sign more first team players in the window.

• edited September 2022

I do think there is probably a significant element of struggling to raise the intensity for a Papa Johns game, similar to pre-season. I know in theory we should be able to approach every match the same, but I can imagine the blood and thunder of a league game would still focus the mind more, even if a player is not necessarily putting in more raw effort.

• Stevenage rotated a fair bit. The players I've crossed out started the last league game but didn't start tonight.

• Ashby-Hammond
    • Sweeney
    • Vancooten
    • Piergianni
    • Wildin
    • Gilbey
    • Reeves
    • Earley
    • Roberts
    • Norris
    • Reid

• Maybe they rested players for the last league game, expecting a titanic struggle tonight!

• The biggest problem that match brought home for me is that we have two keepers who both have the same biggest weakness: distribution. Given so much of our play relies on accurate long balls to the striker it really does not bode well, especially when we're down to bare-bones amongst our midfield scrappers who can win the ball back when we lose possession.

The youngster who most impressed me was actually Arnold Matshazi. Despite only being 18 he has a remarkable musculature and a low centre of gravity. Legs like Uche, upper body on its way to being like Bayo. Basically a more muscular JP Pittman. I hope he develops well - though I suspect we'll only have one more Papa John's Thingie match to see him in before we're eliminated.

• That's true, but the problem for the devs is these are the games they get to prove themselves in. If you can't do it on a Tuesday night in an empty stadium etc

• Was quite optimistic when I saw the starting line-up and paid my tenner to watch but it's an evening I'll never get back. A woeful spectacle and as others have said, we looked like an old-fashioned bunch of cloggers. I've watched better in the Southern league recently.

• edited September 2022

Does anyone have the attendance figure for tonight?

• As Floyd already said, you'd hope that the fringe players absolutely do not see it that way, and understand that it's their chance to show what they can do. It's the difference between knocking on the door of the first team with us, or being shunted out on loan.

I don't think anyone didn't put a shift tonight, but the defence looked very ropey. I guess it's hard when you put out a relatively inexperienced team, and who have perhaps little experience of playing with one another and anticipating others' game, especially in a competitive environment.