Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Players can be over 21, on the bench now but not be included in the squad once it is finalised after transfer window closes and then simply continue as development squad players

• With limits on squad size, we will need to be ruthless if we are to challenge at the top end. Surely if Ainsworth had confidence in them, players such as Wakely, De Barr, Parsons and AHA would have had game time .

• And this is the problem with the development squad. They get very little meaningful game time so breaking through is hard. All those named would benefit from game time elsewhere but when they did to our they struggled for one reason or another to get games.

I’m guessing we wouldn’t be eligible for an u23 league and I’m guessing there is no reserve league set up anymore.

• This is true, but I'm not sure what good that would be for their careers

• edited August 2022

Crikey, @thecatwwfc, where do I start ?!

No, I’m joking and trying to come across as slightly more jocular and less pedantic than you seem to perceive me.

I certainly haven’t generalised professional footballers. My comment was one of a whole series of comments, some semi-serious and some tongue in cheek, made during the course of a match which was frustrating to watch. Maybe you didn’t watch it but, if you did, I’m not sure how you missed the numerous skied shots by both teams. Bolton certainly did struggle to keep the ball down.

If you only watched the highlights, you will only have seen situations in which they had been given the freedom of the park as a result of Wycombe players having sloppily given the ball away in the final third. If they’d skied the ball in those circumstances, Ian Evatt would have had some pretty stern words to say. And Wycombe fans would have had a bit of a chuckle.

The 38 shots at goal (21 for them and 17 for us) gave plenty of scope for high, wide and ‘handsome’ skyers!

• Surely no-one could accuse the gasroom's oldest son of being pedantic.

Goes on to correct someone's spelling 🤣

• "Crikey, @thecatwwfc, where do I start!"

Should have a "?" Surely?

• I'm not surprised to be thumbs downed for my post but as @ReturntoSenda has pointed out if they are to be included in the league squad - and so far as I know they have been - then don't they need to contribute more than just filling the squad.

I want them to be the next Mehmeti or Forino, but so far haven't seen anything to suggest they are. Given that they are likely to only get 2 yrs in the development squad then this is the year that DeBarr, Al-Hamadi, Leathers, Wakely need to be forcing their way into the team.

I'd wager none of those players mentioned will be with WWFC next year, which will be a shame for them and us.

Some will argue that I can't make that judgement because I haven't seen them play but I'd argue the reason I haven't seen them play is because GA doesn't think they are league 1 standard.

• No, ‘twas a rhetorical quip. Not a question requiring an answer. But you could be right and, for that reason, I’ve gone back and added the question mark.

• I am a little puzzled at the lack of selection of AAH. He apparently came with a good pedigree, was wanted by Swansea to re-sign, (from memory), he is a big strapping lad like Vokes, as such I don't see what the problem is in at least making the bench?

I have seen next to nothing of Mellor, but what I have seen, I haven't been left thinking, "there's one for the future".

Parsons, (is he really with WWFC), again not seen much apart from a good team goal v Aston Villa U21s.

Wakely, is well, a ghost I think. TJay Debarr is an injury crisis, so keeps the physio team busy, as does Hanlan who is brilliant when he does play.

• The development squad are aptly named. They are a group of tough diamonds who the management believe may be polishable into first team players and ideally saleable assets. Everyone knows that not all indeed most will not make it but the odd one will.

None have taken up squad places as as of now there is no squad. I imagine though it is unlikely we will make up a full squad without including some of the development players. Others may well go on loan to the conference.

• Ben Strevans was the ghost !!

Wakely sent on loan to Maidenhead Utd last season, where he spent most of it on the bench. To have only Tafazoli (who has a suspect injury record) and Forino with limited league experience and currently injured on the books, is simply something that I and every other WWFC, I have spoken to, can't get there head around.

• Tafa played 39 games last season, so he's not that much of an injury risk.

But expecting Forino to be able to match Stewart's appearance record, let alone quality was pretty bizarre.

As was not immediately sacking off the Bishop pursuit after understanding he was going on the Australia tour.

• edited August 2022

@Malone Is it unheard of for a young CB to emerge midway through one season then play 40+ games the next? We're so obviously light there, but I'm not sure I share that concern about Forino.

• Would love to think he could, and we definitely seem to be relying on it.

But we're 2 games in and he hasn't even managed either of those yet.

And sod's law that McCarthy, who I'm sure we played at centre back the first time round we had him, is injured at the same time! Perfect.

• I’ve seen mentioned that Forino is a replacement for Tools. He isn’t, they were both here last season and rotated. We still need a replacement for Tools to compete with Chris and Ryan.

• He kind of is - but then we still need a replacement for Forino!

• But, no matter how you look at it, the TL;DR is 'Sign a bloody centre-back!'.

• God, are you still talking about a centre back. I was basically told I wasn’t allowed to.🙄🤣

• On reflection I am reminded that my mother told everyone I would be Prime Minister but then she did not open her checkbook to fund the private education required to achieve that success. I pretty quickly wished she had kept her mouth shut. I'm still trusting the management team to deliver a No 1 and a CB. Someone said Rovers victory over Burton put our win ' into perspective'. Not sure what that means.

• edited August 2022

I assume it means that last week didn't really justify our summer strengthening tactic (ie not doing any yet) but instead suggests we got lucky facing what could be one of the relegation contenders early on.

Or maybe not.

• I wouldn't say that expecting Forino to match Forino's quality is bizarre. I think in the latter part of last season he was matching Stewart's quality and will go on to surpass it.

• The way you worded rhat made me think I'd typed there, but it was you!

Forino will match Forino's quality for sure ;-)

• In fairness to @mooneyman, he could barely have been awake at such an ungodly hour !

As you will see from the Shrewsbury score prediction thread, I am very much in agreement with you @mooneyman.

• edited August 2022

Re The Chairman’s proclamations.

Having worked in both The States and The UK I’ve experienced very different management styles. Here I found ‘under promise - over deliver’ to work, let’s just say over the pond they found it hard to comprehend that approach.

Our reading of Rob’s claims may just be a loss in translation. ‘Two nations divided by a common language’.

• Spot on as usual @micra. I don't usually surface until about 9.00 but had an early appointment at the doctors.

I would clarify for @Malone's attention that I think Forino will eventually play at a far higher level than Stewart. I will probably be way out with my assessment, as for example I thought Randell Williams would end up as a Premier League player when he played for us!

• Let's hope you're right. Although Stewart obviously has played championship, so a way higher level would be a minimum of the prem, maybe top half prem.

Quite an ask.

• Far higher level than Stewart does sound ambitious but I think he has the potential to play with one of those Championship/Premier League yo-yo clubs and there are plenty of them.

I know that he personally is confident enough to have said, one has to assume in all seriousness, that he aims to emulate (or words to that effect) Franco Baresi, one of the greatest ever Italian central defenders.

More power to his elbow.

Sorry, slip of the tongue - we don’t want none of that at are club.

Sits back and waits for @thecatwwfc to pounce.

• Blimey, I like Forino but I think I need to see a lot more of him before declaring him a future Premier League player

I certainly hope he's fit sooner rather than later