Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• I was surprised about that statement too. Definitely not slow

• Dickinson comes out way too eagerly for the second. No idea what kind of career he's going to go on to have, but we need to be careful with him - running the risk of leaving his confidence shot to bits.

• I agree - the Bolton player was already being pushed a little wide by the defender, so coming out made the chance easier.

• From the sounds of things seems a bit unfair for others in the thread to have singled him out, especially given he's the only one to play who didn't even start pre-season until last week. Sounds like everyone played badly.

• We do seem to be in a predictable position with the squad and maybe some brave unpopular decisions were required in the summer. No cover in some areas. Overloaded with talent in others. And this leaves very little margin of error in the transfer market.

There may have to be a mini clear out / loan out if the injuries we have are longer term just to free up space for incomings. Or a rethink on tactic to accommodate some of the talented squad members.

Not a disaster today. We all knew that Bolton are a totally different team to Burton. Grimmer and Wheeler are square pegs but clearly Wakely isn’t ready to be a round peg.

We go again blah blah blah

• does anyone believe a word that GA says about injured players ? so frustrating that he mugs fans off

• We obviously know we need a goalkeeper and at least 1 centre back, and if financial restraints means they need to be young loans then no problem, but continuing with no senior keeper and one fit centre back is not going to cut it. But today wasn’t really about the lack of defensive resources, although they would’ve helped I’m sure, in the first half for some reason we played a narrow diamond and two very ill disciplined full backs leaving the team shape completely off and stretched against a good side. We also dropped Horgan which didn’t make sense to me. And even with that, we created some great chances. If we’d have played the right way (a solid 4, then 2-3-1) like last week we may have nicked something but as it was we were comprehensively dispatched. A very off and odd tactical day today.

I’m putting myself out there, De Barr is not good enough for top level League 1 at the moment. Lots of bluster but I haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s going to make it with us. And if he is legitimately ahead of Al Hamadi that’s a worry about him from my perspective too. Mellor looks as if he has some talent but is very raw, and again not really looking like a first team player at the moment. Hopefully he’ll develop quickly. So we do look very light up front as well if Hanlan is out for a while (which he could be as it looked like a groin strain).

• stocko Is pure class... what. massive loss he Is.....but we have dickinson now so ......lol

• I think having Mellor, AHA AND TJ as raw talents in the first team squad shows that maybe our recruitment has been … optimistic. If Brandon is injured again for an extended period then we are as light up front as we are in defence. But our midfield… wow, our midfield is superb so long as 1-8-1 works as a formation then we have the squad balanced just right

• I feel like Wheeler's a malleable enough peg to be a great option at RB, although I didn't see today's game

• I preferred De Barr's performance to Mellor's.

I agree that today wasn't particularly about any individuals playing well or badly, it was more that the system as a whole didn't work.

• Disappointing yes but what we have in GA and Dobbo is two guys who know the squad and have the ability to analyse todays performance and change if necessary .

• If they could do everything that you are asking of a "professional footballer" to the standard that @micra demands - they would not be playing for Wycombe Wanderers in League One. We forget that sometimes.

• I’ve seen some truly memorable tactical masterpieces from Gareth and Dobbo over the years.

Today really wasn’t one of them.

I think I’d be quite happy to never see us play a midfield diamond ever again. It’s by far my least favourite of the various formations we’ve played under GA and today we were simply all over the place.

It just leaves the two full backs completely exposed which Wheeler and Obita then compounded by playing crazily high up the pitch in order to engage with the two Bolton wing backs. But as others have identified it left us with basically a back two and space everywhere.

Then to have Gape instead of Scowen at the base of the diamond is another total head shaker. Just when our two centre halves desperately needed cover from our best player in that role.

Finally, we’re going to have to work on Lewis Wing’s defending if he’s going to be considered a midfielder. On the first goal the Bolton player just goes past him like he’s not there with no effort from Wing to then track him or keep his body in a defensive position. Then on the 2nd and 3rd goals he just runs alongside his opponent rather than busting a gut to stop them. Not good enough.

I actually thought he offered a bit going forward and has potential but defensively he was a liability.

• I've had nothing to say since the end of the match, until now.

442 that is all.

• But this isn't a question of changing tactics really - we don't have a squad that would be able to compete at the top end of the division. We're so unbalanced - stuffed full of creative midfielders but so lacking defensively and no real backup for Vokes if he gets injured.

• Spoken to Gareth tomorrow in The Duke of Clarence. Chris will be back next week

• Just addressing the elephant in the room about new players. Isn’t our squad full?

• I believe that @ReturnToSenda has posted that no, it isn’t, because of the age of some of the younger players.

And GA has clearly stated that we’re still looking to bring players in, so there must be room somehow, even if that means shipping some out on loan.

• edited August 2022

For over 21s, yeah, so a De Barr / Parsons / Wakely (or more than one) would have to go out on loan

• edited August 2022

That is, of course all Assuming someone will take them or those players will want to go. I’m sure they are , and there would (clubs that want them) be but it’s really not a great position, is it?

• I think the squad size limit is overly restrictive at this level tbh. 25 would be fine.

• Is Kaikai injured?

• Did he have some international games early preseason or am I making that up? Might be having a bit more prep because of that?

he was briefly in Taffs recent YouTube video wandering about.

• nope he is injured, GA will say he is back on contention on Tuesday but is probably out until January....he likes mugging fans off ...used to it now. tactics from.GA today was woeful!

• I agree Mellor, AHA and TJ seem a long way short of League 1 standard. The reality is we haven’t replaced the Beast, so hopefully Vokes doesn’t get injured. We are definitely short also at goalkeeper and centre back. But we have known this since the beginning of of pre season and we’ve done nothing about it. Poor from senior figures within the club.

• edited August 2022

I know we can't compete with the real big hitters at this level financially, but nor are we working on a shoestring budget anymore. I'm struggling to believe that we weren't able to replace two key players when we had six weeks to work with in Stockdale's case and five in Stewart's - even if Forino was seen as the replacement, to start the season without adding depth there was unacceptable. And - whatever the ultimate ins and outs, whether we've been fucked around by United or whatever - the goalkeeper situation is embarrassing, frankly. All compounded by a chairman who needs to either tone it down a bit - or deliver the goods.