Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• A rare strange feeling of walking out slightly disappointed we hadn't smashed them for more!

A great start though and hopefully a few of the injury crew are back available next week, and finally getting Bishop confirmed.

• Great result but we still need a goalkeeper and a centre back. Let’s not get too carried away. Burton looked poor, but you can only beat what’s in front of you. Mehmeti is going to cause real problems in this league.

• I’ve been ignoring this thread all day, safe in the knowledge that @Wanderers82 and the panic crew would bare their arses and it would make hilarious reading post-match. And boy this thread did not disappoint. We even got the bonus of @ReturnToSenda hanging his out too. Anyone who hasn’t, I highly recommend going back to page one.

• edited July 2022

So you don't agree that we're still very light at the back? This is exactly what I mean when I talk about outcome bias, a real favourite on here and Twitter.

• What a great team performance. And Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink must be seething at how bad his team were first half.

• I trust the management. They were happy with that team, so I was too. I’m also happy that Rob would like us to get promoted. The transfer window hasn’t closed yet, we might sign some more players

I’m not happy that there was one member of staff serving in one open kiosk for the entire Frank Adams, which is absolute basics. I had to walk out and all the way round to the bar just to get a bottle of water. If this is the new level of “best match day experience in the league” we can expect, then I have to imagine that other grounds make you slop out the lavs to get a drink.

• Also it’s not outcome bias when I’ve been saying the same thing for the last two weeks.

• It’s from the tv show Come Dine With Me, the guy in the striped shirt is a particularly bad loser who feels he has been cheated out of winning the show and says to one of the other contestants ‘what a sad little life, Jane’

https://youtu.be/yXai3HCMV3E

• What did people make of the 5 sub thing?

Seemed to take a hell of a long time to make the triple change, and just seemed to suck any life out of the game.

Although the first half had already had a big hand in that in fairness, to our credit.

• I know it was his first appearance, only got a few minutes and was only on because we'd already buried the match, but I'm not sure Mellor is quite ready for first team action yet. Did really well to juggle the ball and get a shot away but fluffed the shot so badly it was heading for the corner flag, then every subsequent touch of the ball was mis-controlled and lost. Definitely got bags of potential and could be a great asset, but would love to see al-Hamadi and De Barr given opportunities to show what they can bring too.

• They will be hiding the breakables in @Wanderers82 's house tonight. Burton may not be much good, but we still had to beat them with a debut goalie behind a makeshift back line. Pleased for all of the goalscorers and wins breed confidence. Great start. Grimmer may be a shaky CB but we won with a clean sheet. That will do. I assume @trevor closed his laptop sadly at about 25 minutes in. Jimmy was indeed very angry. Very poor display from Burton to start their season.

• I did not notice the ref taking significant steps to stop timewasting though.

• Very good start to the season. 3 points and valuable first team experience for Dickinson.

Strange reading the pre match comments on here. Sure we've not yet replaced players who've left, but the transfer window is still open for another month. Best to get the right players, than be rushed into buying players who aren't a good fit for us. Our current squad is strong enough to win matches without needing to panic buy.

• Burton were atrocious but we can only beat what’s there.

Everyone was excellent first half. Mehmeti the standout but Gape (still can’t believe how good he’s been since returning from such a long injury) and Scowen also in total control in midfield. Plus Wheeler a great option winning attacking headers on the wing and grabbing a goal.

Bit silly giving Dickinson MOTM I thought. He did perfectly well but had very little to deal with. Personally I think I’d find that slightly embarrassing as a professional.

Surprisingly good attendance. So many people will be on holiday still and Burton is not a big draw so a crowd (or at least ticket sales) of 5,500 home fans seems pretty encouraging.

So many subs certainly disrupted the game, although it was petering out by then anyway.

• Dickinson did the basics, kept the one pea roller shot out.

He did lamp it into touch at least 4 or 5 times though, and in a 3-0 win where the opposition have barely been near your box it did seem a daft choice.

However, it'll be good for his confidence.

• Very harsh. I thought he looked quite useful. Maybe a bit rusty/unfit.

Horgan was excellent today.

As were Wheeler and Scowen.

Poor Burton side but very positive.

• Just worth moving up the thread. GCSE students will study this stuff in years to come.

Also enjoyed the patience of Horgan hating man who waited 30 mins for him to decide not to chase something down to give him two barrels of abuse.

• Thoroughly professional performance today by everyone. Remembered the joy of seeing a youngster get his chance after losing that when the youth team was lost. Well done to Tyla on the clean sheet and the apparent calmness.

We were an awful refereeing performance away from being five up at half time. That pass for the first goal was amazing. Mehmeti’s dribble for the second and the audible gasp from the crowd for the third was joyous. The movement of our front players made Burton dizzy and made me smile.

I enjoyed today and for me that is what football gives me. A referee to shout out rather than my boss or co-workers. Something to applaud when my efforts go unthanked all week. A pride in something that will always be part of my life when the week in spent hoping for loyalty in something. Anything.

Thanks to all at the club for today. Especially the single worker who turned up in the Frank Adams concession stand. You seemed to get my Monday to Friday grief but none of the complaints were your fault.

• I would have thought, after an opening day win like today, that reading the Gasroom would be a pleasure.

Sorry to say it's been disappointing.

Some people really need to take a look at the way they have behaved on here today.

Shocking from quite a few normally restrained people.

Sad, just sad.

• Three points ✔️ Clean sheet ✔️ Entertaining and skillful display ✔️ Still time to strengthen the squad ✔️

• Nothing that we didn't know before the start of the season. We have shed loads of quality up front and can absolutely batter some of the weaker teams in the league, but no depth in the defence and we're lucky the make-shift back 4 weren't tested more.

Lucky that the first 4 games are all against some of the weaker teams (Bolton mid-table level) but we desperately need some defensive reinforcements before the transfer window shuts.

• edited July 2022

100% agree with @Twizz, there have been a number on here on this chat who have been really negative when they have previously jumped on any negative comments over the summer momths. I just don't understand the complete 180 switch.

The opening day we should be encouraged, positive and looking forward to games and a new season, not picking holes at the management of the club. Yes, we ALL know the squad has gaps that need filling but we don't need to keep mentioning it AGAIN & AGAIN! The management have NEVER let us down before, I can't ever see them starting to now.

• edited July 2022

I think you're vastly underestimating Bolton there - only 2 teams averaged more PPG from 1 Jan onwards last season, and they've strengthened.

• It's a great start, and it buys us a bit of time.

Firstly to get some of those injured players back.

But also to bring in these couple of players that have been mooted as being the ideal scenario.

• edited July 2022

A huge positive for me is that we tended to win that kind of game 2-0 or 2-1 last season, sometimes making them unnecessarily nervy. That was so comfortable!!!

• Yep, I said walking out, hopefully there's many more of these sort of strolls that are done so early that it feels like a damp squib last 30-45mins!!