Comments

• Subs to include - Horgan, Gape, Grimmer, Freeman, Wheeler,

• edited July 2022

3-4-2-1

Bishop

Grimmer

Taf

JJ

Freeman/Wheeler (RWB hardest to call with McCarthy injured)

Gape

Scowen

Obita

McCleary

Mehmeti

Vokes

• My very optimistic starting 11:

Bishop

McCarthy, Mawson, Taff, Obita

Scowen Wing

McCleary, Horgan, Hanlan

Vokes

Not a bad looking side. Probably Forino for Mawson in reality.

• Is McCarthy injured? I thought GA mentioned that only Thompson was doubtful.

• He hasn't been involved in any of the last few games, not sure Wing has played at all in pre-season either. Forino and Kaikai both injured too, I think?

• Kaikai is def out for the start of the season

• I think the most likely scenario is a similar formation approach to last season's opening day.

Bishop

Grimmer

Taf

JJ

Wheeler/Freeman

Scowen

Gape

Obita

McCleary

Horgan (?)

Vokes

___

Horgan is another question mark. Could be Horgan. Could be Mehmeti. Could be Hanlan. I think it'll be Horgan as he finished last season and is probably the most match fit.

• @frequentstander agree this looks the likely starting 11.

much depends on the fitness of Forino, who I believe has only featured once in pre season.

will be interesting to see how the subs are used. Mehmeti and Hanlan on after an hour could cause havoc

• If Forino is match fit then I can potentially see us going with the four at the back. But, that likely means dropping one of JJ or Obita, which I can't envisage.

• Three at the back seems retrograde to me. We dropped it when it stopped working last season and I'm not sure it's sensible to go back, especially if we don't have our genuine right wingback fit. We have great strength in depth in attack and it would be a shame to play with just two behind Vokes when we could easily stick with three.

Though I guess that would involve signing a first team ready central defender this week.

I can understand holding back on signing a goalkeeper until Bishop is ready... But we really shouldn't be going into the start of the season with only one fit first team centre back.

• Bishop (If materialises or Tylah/ Loanee)

JJ Taff Grimmer (poss Forino or random newbie for grimmer but probably unlikely)

Obita Scowen Gape Wheels (Jmac)

Horgan GMac (Don't think Anis has played much in pre season but there's still a good weeks training)

Vokesy (Hanlan from the bench most likely, wonder if he'll tire of that by January if that remains the case and Injuries, rotation or change of formation don't allow him more)

• Would love to see Freeman play at rwb, he really did look the part against Lincoln....

Bishop

Grimmer Taf Forino

Freeman Gape Scowen Obita

Mcleary Vokes Mehmeti

• I'd probably consider Freeman over Gapey in central midfield for this one but not sure Gaz will agree

• edited July 2022

Bishop / Tyla

Grimmer, Forino, Taff, Obita

Horgan, Wing, Scowen, GMac

Vokes, Mehmeti

442, stuff all this 3 at the back nonsense

• Because I like others don't like it, plus I think we're better with 4 at the back. People are allowed a different opinion to you

• Alright, no need to get so defensive (although we are discussing that part of the team)

• As GA seems very set on making subs at a predetermined time in the game rather than reacting to game situations,and 5 subs now being allowed, I do wonder if we'll see more of an obvious change in shape/style at say 60mins with a triple subs move?

Say replacing Vokes, GMac, Horgan with Hanlon, Mehmeti, Wheeler/Mellor/Freeman.

It would still allow for a further 2 injury subs later on, or further shape/style tweeks.

Thought anyone?

• I'd totally forgotten that was a thing this season! I think you're probably right re. more defined change of approach.

• Can only see a back 3 if Forino doesn't come through, and if we haven't yet brought in other certain centre back targets by then.

Therefore, assuming Forino does play, then

Bishop

Grimmer Taf Forino Obita

Wing Scowen

McCleary Horgan Mehmeti

Vokes

It's easy to forget Grimmer is a quality right back at this level, and there's no reason not to start with the formation and players that powered us into the play offs.

Hanlan as always unlucky not to start, but a superb asset off the bench.

JJ also unlucky, but plenty of games to bide his time with,

• Inverted CBs? Someone's been playing too much Football Manager 😉

• Also, I don't think Wing has played in pre-season?

• I’m intrigued to see how the 5 subs rule works out this season.

Clubs will surely look to work it to their advantage.

My guess would be lots of tactical fouls to prevent counter attacks, since it becomes so much easier to replace the offender should they get booked. This type of systematic fouling is already something Man City in particular do very effectively (I think Calvin Philips is there basically to come on for Rodri when he inevitably gets booked). I think it will become even more widespread now. Longer term it might even bring about a rule change to introduce a sin bin for deliberate and/or persistent fouling (which I’d be in favour of).

I’d also expect to see us really play with a high press for 60-70 mins in a lot of games, with a view to then replacing 2 or more of the attacking players that have run themselves into the ground. We already do that quite often, but I’d expect to see it become more prevalent.

• Just thinking about how relentless Liverpool are going to be with five subs and I'm terrified. Will be really interesting, for sure.

• Interesting, and massively favouring teams with big squads. Weird that half the outfield team can be replaced. If your defence is crap you could swap it out entirely and still have a sub left

• Am I wrong in thinking that the tactical subs can only happen at 3 points during the game to try and speed up the substitution process now that there could be up to 10 stoppages for subs during the game? I also think that Clubs & Referees have been advised to get their players off the pitch at the nearest opportunity instead of getting them to (potentially) run across the pitch to the dug-outs.

Of course, for injuries, this doesn't apply as managers can't plan / arrange for an injury(s) to happen during a match.

• I’d prefer 3-4-3/5-3-2 but only if we’ve got a good fit at RWB. I think Saturday will be

Bishop

JJ

Taff

Grimmer

Obita

Wheels

Scowen

Gape

Mehmeti

McCleary

Sam Vokes.

We’re going to win the league aren’t we?

• Yeah, same rule as before with three sub 'windows'. That touchline rule came in a couple of years back but has never been consistently enforced! If a player knows they're about to be subbed off, they'll just hover around the centre spot.