Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• Well I for one am excited about Bishop coming in. There is no way you can be at an elite club, being bought up through the ranks, being taught and nurtured by the best.... And not be pretty damn good. Mufc wouldn't bother having him if he didn't potentially have the ability to one day reach the very top.

• My always right?

• It is always nice to see how soon those wiping away their salty tears as they decry the cyber bulling and demand people hear their views without comment or criticism...soon resort to name calling.

Ignore.

• There's a video of Bishop on Youtube where he makes a good save. That's enough for me.

• You do realise this is going completely over his head? Admittedly a low bar

• That's what makes it fun.

• He was nurtured by our own GK coach before he signed got United! Can't believe he's still only 22, feels like he's been around forever.

• Paying less is better than paying more. It leaves more left over.

Discovering players that others haven't heard of is also a positive advantage.

But my not always right, sometimes my half left so what would I know

• Whilst I cannot speak for everyone, I struggle with your views because more often than not I perceive them as unduly negative. Most people in every day life get the concept that young people starting out in their careers are unknown but full of potential. You cannot get experience unless you are given opportunities.

Translating that to football, you appear to be unable to understand that young players from the Premier League only get experience and progress through playing matches in the lower leagues. Some will then stay in the lower leagues and others will go onto bigger and better things e.g. Jermaine Defoe. You also seem unable to comprehend this is equally true of non league players coming into the league. e.g. Jamie Vardy.

Many posters have tried to converse with you in a polite manner and to make some suggestions to you, I'm sure I won't be the first or the last. Perhaps, if you took on board some of the comments, and at least tried to show you have reflected on some good advice and tried to see other viewpoints then perhaps people wouldn't be so quick to stick the boot in each time you post.

I'm yet to be convinced your not a wind up merchant and I can understand why you may see Bishop as underwhelming in isolation but it seems this is your only opinion of every new player all of the time. Perhaps you should avail yourself of the story about the boy who cried wolf. It's particularly relevant to your time on the gasroom so far. Looking forward to an improvement from you in the 2022/23 season...

• Gaz's record at uncovering hidden gems is there for all to see. There's plenty of time left in the window for him to get the kind of players in who will improve the squad. Many players/agents wait until the last minute to see what their best offers will be. I'm proud we're not the kind of club that tries to buy success. How many times has that failed miserably at other clubs, including the likes of Man U currently. You either have faith in Gaz or or you don't. I personally do, lets wait and see.

• Quite a scary thought, @Wanderers82 getting “so excited”. We’ve not even seen this season’s squad in competitive action. Just multiple permutations of 20 or more disparate level players in pre-season behind-closed-doors kickabouts, yet you feel justified in commenting that the squad has gone backwards.

If you weren’t so obviously young and, shall we say, academically challenged, I’d suggest that you’re (not your) probably ‘walking backwards to Christmas' but I guess only over 60s will be familiar with that quote from the wonderful Spike Milligan.

Do you have interests/hobbies outside what is clearly your main passion in life? I think many of us would be interested to know more about you beyond the little you’ve vouchsafed us hitherto.

• Whilst United have money to burn, they don't put all their development players on £22k per week contracts.

• Pompous, moi?!

• "go and wash GA's car" is an absolute zinger to be fair

• Why were you so hot on Stockdale then, who was Wycombe's number 2 the season before last?

Surely Man Utd's number 4 has a shout of being as good as he wants to be. Alfie Mawson was a Brentford reserve when we took him on. Steven Taylor was a kid a Newcastle. Eze was a reserve at QPR. To name but a few.

@Wanderers82 you have proven yet again that you know absolutely nothing about football. I also have a feeling I know who you are....and would hate to embarrass you infront of everyone.

• you have proven yet again that you know absolutely nothing about football. I also have a feeling I know who you are....and would hate to embarrass you infront of everyone.

Go on, the temptation would be too much for me to resist if I was in your position. 🙄

• please share if you think you know who I am ...I have nothing to be embarrassed about....

BTW I know plenty about football been involved in the sport for over 30 years

• The Goons always left me a little more bemused than amused but Spike on his day especially in conversation was hilarious and the one he told about the guy on the train still makes me genuinely laugh out loud.

• The last keeper we got on loan from Manchester United, Tom Heaton, is probably the best keeper we've had here - including Stockdale, Blackman, Taylor and Hyde. I'm sure Nathan Bishop will be a real talent and asset to the team if he signs, and I for one am pleased it will happen after he's been on tour with the Man U first team: it will surely help his development and confidence to have played and trained among their stars this summer, probably more so than a few extra weeks in Marlow.

• Yeah righto, I bet ! Over 30 years lol

I knew instantly what age group you were when you said "oh my days" either yesterday or the day before. I work with people from ages 16 all the way up to 65, and no one above the age of 20 uses that saying !

• Why oh why are so many posters getting into ‘ a debate’ with @Wanderers82 . Clearly a wind up merchant with little or no knowledge of football despite 30 years in the ‘game’!!!! Ignore . Soon get fed up of posting if no one responds.

• I'm 28 and I use that saying 👀 Had never thought of it as a young person thing

• It is an interesting point to debate. My attitude on goalkeepers is that two of the most significant factors which can cause separation with outfield players (pace and fitness) are not particularly applicable. Beneath the PL (where goalkeepers have to be able to play with their feet generally) there is every chance to my mind that if a goalkeeper commanded his box well and made good saves in L2, he is likely to be able to do the same in L1. I am therefore pretty confident in our chances if we do see Bishop come in the door.

• Well ok... no one over the age of 30 then... certainly not someone near or in their 50s

• Ed_Ed_
    edited July 2022

I had never heard the phrase at all until about 15 years go and it does make me chuckle inwardly when I hear a relative youth coin such a wistfully reminiscent phrase. Maybe I am taking it too literally.

• Not a phrase I use but surprised to hear it is considered a young person's thing...my granddad used to say it when exasperated...though I think it was to avoid swearing in front of the kiddies! 😉

• Oh my days!

I thought it was something mockneys say.

• Bishop was outstanding at Mansfield. However, League 1 is a big step up and it is asking a lot of him if he is to start 46 games like he did there. My feeling is we need an older keeper too, though maybe not a better one but as an experienced alternative.

• I think Tom Heaton might be the best player I’ve seen play for Wycombe, not just the best keeper. Taylor and Eze run him close. If Bishop is anywhere near as good as Heaton was he’ll be a hell of a signing.