Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• Having a functional head of state would help

• Hmmm, See Trump,

This isn't Blue v Red or Leave v Remain, there's far too much infighting for that, just thinking most people in the UK probably have very limited knowledge of how things are supposed work and how they do or don't.

No fans of royals getting power or money and they are almost certainly done for after the Queen goes tbh but other methods are also not ideal... where there is a proper split between executive (Cabinet etc) following manifesto's (mandate) and queens speech (approved, voted), commons to vote on any new law as individual representatives, advisers , courts and lords (overseeing) then the royal bit is dispassionate stamping of stuff that has already been agreed elsewhere and is subject to legal challenge afterwards, but having that there brings it all public and should shame those who present dodgy stuff , she should never be able to overrule stuff she doesn't like but should be able to pass back anything that doesn't have the right signatures. Of course she shouldn't really be doing any of this unelected and hereditary peers are a stain but simply having two chambers voted at different points in the election cycle and disagreeing on party lines is no better.

BogJob genuinely thinks he has a personal mandate of 14m for him and anyone who stops him doing exactly what he wants is an enemy of the people and needs removal with the help of his unelected mates in the press.

I think the only way to get this better really is for it to be easier to recall everyone when they're dodgy. There's hundreds of nod and wink conventions such as resigning when caught lying that people like the liar from Eton won't ever follow.

The joke being that wether you think Brexit was won on lies is up to you but his election was won on the idea he'd solved the border issues in N. Ireland that he was a part of creating with a plan that should he survive the week he'll be seeking to have entirely ripped up.

Anyway, rant over, Def not football, when's that back.

• He's fucking off!

• "But he will continue to serve as prime minister until the autumn to allow a new leadership contest to take place"

Fk off, right now.

• Think's he's Sanchez (see above)

• The tip is that Raab will be appointed as caretaker PM.

"safe pair of hands"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46142188

• Too many unwritten rules, checks and balances and tacitly accepted norms mean that when you have a narcissist in charge you realise how fragile the whole democracy thing is. Given tne amount of completely incomprehensible (to me) 'he's doing a good job' you realise how close we are to a Trump or even a Putin.

• Glad we settled that...will the caretaker take the traditional 'I'm just taking it disastrous bill by disastrous bill for the time being...' when asked if he wants the top job?

• We've been an authoritarian state for nearly three years, just look at the law changes in that short time and it's all writ large. They've made noisy protest illegal ffs.

• Slimy Steve has just been on the news, being typically awful.

• When Steve Baker, Andrew Bridgen and Mark Francois are happy...be very afraid.

• obviously the odds are completely aimless punts, but if you needed sobering up as to the potential runners and riders then wow...

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-prime-minister

• Like so many I found some of the stories around Boris trivial and then the media and opposition made way too much of them. They were interesting to the Westminster bubble but to the man on the street with normal worries I couldn’t give a sh1t. However as time has gone on I woke up to the realisation that he’s a sociopath, he has no interest in the country, he has no interest in the party, and I’m not even sure he has any interest in those close to him.

Im prepared to put my hand up and say I voted for him (my first ever Tory vote) and I hoped he could move us forward with a bit of unity. Christ on a bike I could not have been more wrong.

• Under Johnson pretty much every single policy idea they had was leaked to the media first...then if there was a sufficient backlash, it would either be watered down or dropped completely.

You can't run a government like that.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub he is a trivial man, whose only interests are money, power and what action money and power can get Little Boris. I may disagree with many politicians, but if you can see the plan...you can understand where they are coming from. Johnson had no real ideals, grasp of policy or even morals. Bluff old Bozzer would be at home in front of a WI meeting, a TUC, a Nuremburg Rally or a Communist Party Congress if people laughed at his jokes.

• Well done for owning up. As someone fairly obsessed with social inequality I probably count as the Westminster bubble to you, so I really struggle to understand how anyone could vote for a man who has been sacked for lying from every single job he's ever had. I agree with you, he is a sociopath. I don't believe he has any emotions at all, especially not empathy. His entire existence is just a game.

• Fair play for admitting it. The little stuff is little for a reason but does matter where it shows symptoms of a total lack of morals and basic decency dating back to childhood. His rap sheet is chapters not pages.

• edited July 2022

This is a morning to relish James O’Brien on LBC. I ‘discovered’ him a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. I hope a large proportion of Johnson’s claimed 14 million voters have similarly long since had their eyes opened to the truth about this corrupt morally bankrupt narcissistic bumbling buffoon.

However, as James says, today is not the time for celebrations. The flames may have been extinguished but the house is a charred and crumbling shell. Something like that. Happy days? Probably not for the foreseeable future.

• One of the rare bits of hope that have come from all of this is the seemingly large number of disaffected Bozzer acolytes that have expressed disgust with him being hounded out of office and claim they'll never vote Tory again "for losing a good man". Many of the Cabinet resignation tweets are riddled with this kind of comment.

Yeah yeah, I know that Twitter is obviously a platform primarily used by those who shout hot air as loudly as possible, and those writing kneejerk comments right now will have probably calmed down by the next general election (especially if some noxious right-winger with actual conviction a la Patel becomes PM) - but if even a percentage of those expressing these kind of views right now genuinely mean what they say, this is heartening.

• Unfortunately the vox pops from the last couple of days give me less hope. Still a disturbing amount of Johnson apologists around.

• “A good man” ? Are people really describing him thus? Incroyable.

• I wonder how many other football forums have gone politics only for a whole morning?

• Should have made clear that I was referring to @PBo’s post of 11.43.

• This is only one example (off the back of Nadhim Zahawi's resignation tweet) but there are many similar.

https://twitter.com/MaryJasper2/status/1544952346026844165

• The tweeter, not you @PBo