Skip to content

2022-23 squad

Comments

• Players born in the year 2001 don't need to be registered but those in 2000 do is my understanding

• edited July 2022

Right you are. 2022-23 rules aren't actually on the EFL site yet - which means... we can do what we want next season?!

• Dem rules (written or unwritten) must be obeyed.

• do you think we had a stronger squad last season or this season ? for me last seasons squad is better , we have lost some big players and replacements I think are development squad standard players

• You are asking this question a month too early.

Also, at what point are you willing to accept that Mehmeti and Forino are not development standard players

• edited July 2022

Worth remembering the transfer window doesn't close til 1 Sep. As long as we've got our new goalkeeper (preferably goalkeeperS as we're currently down to only one) for the start of the season, then all good.

• Even the most glass massively full poster couldn't spin the current squad as stronger than last year's one.

But as per above, it can't be compared sensibly until the window shuts and Forino is more than fine to start the season with.

Will certainly be interesting what, I'd anything we do though, essential keeper aside.

Do we think we can go for autos without any significant upgrades?

• One big advantage we've got over last season is that Vokes will be fully match fit from the off*, which I don't think he was at the start of last season and took a couple of months to really show what he is about.

*unless he's spent June and July fully on the sunbed and pies

• Keeper aside my view is we are as strong as last year, though we need another CB as back up to Taff & Forino, that may be Wakely or may be a.n.other.

• I think we'd have to spend beyond our means to challenge for autos, but adequately replace Stocko and Stewart and the squad is as strong as last season's.

• I don’t think we should underestimate the loss of Bayo on the pitch. He played a part in most games.

• Gawd, if @Wanderers82 thought that team and management he spent last season slating were a stronger squad we better get spending quickly before he finishes his 'This is shit! ' banner

• I reckon we've got plenty of time before he manages to spell three words correctly.

• Bayo replaced by Vokes last season.

You really think Vokes is only development squad?

I know you have a view, that you'll defend at all cost, @Wanderers82 but it's getting tiresome.

• “Getting”?

• what are you on about? vokes was with us last season....makes me laugh people attacking my views , get off your high horse and be objective and not just arse lick GA

• Worst banner since the tiny little "Sanchez Out" banner at Cheltenham was it? The legendary 3 man banner gang.

• For me it is all about consistency as without that seven game winless run we would have been pushing. Keep players fit and go on a good run and I would not write off autos. Then again...not a ball has been kicked yet! 😉

• I agree with @Wanderers82 on this one specific point - you can’t say we are better this season because Vokes replaced Bayo when we had both Vokes and Bayo last year.

• Oh Chris, that's not what the post said.

• Bayo is/was, to be fair, pretty irreplaceable. Having him as back-up/sub was a very strong card to have up our sleeve and in a number of games his introduction in the latter stages changed the dynamic completely (including the play off final, albeit ultimately to no effect).

But. Because he was such a strong character/presence I do wonder whether that negated the need to develop other players and strategies that we would have had to do if we didn’t have him as our ‘ace’.

In Kaikai and Hanlan we have two excellent, quality (in my opinion) forwards who I think may develop to fill the Bayo-sized gap in the squad in new and exciting ways. Adding raw, inexperienced (but reportedly quality) recruits is a gamble to some extent (likely mitigated by the usual due diligence) but one that could pay dividends.

• edited July 2022

I want to see much more of Kaikai this season, but I wouldn't say classify him as a forward - looks like a natural 10, although he can play wide. Hanlan, sure - and I think Mellor will play quite a significant part as a Bayo 'replacement'.

• I should have thought before posting. Given my appalling track record on predicting the success of Wycombe forwards I have just condemned Kaikai and Hanlan to absolute ‘mares of a season. Sorry

• So what does everyone think of the strength of the division itself? It's a very premature call but I would go with the following initial expectations for possible top ten clubs:

Derby replace Sunderland (division becomes weaker)

Peterborough replace Wigan (weaker)

Barnsley replace Rotherham (similar)

Ipswich (stronger than last season)

Sheffield Wednesday (similar)

Portsmouth (similar or stronger)

Oxford (similar)

Bolton (stronger)

MK Dons (weaker)

Plymouth (similar or weaker)

I know it's a fools errand without the transfer window closed or any real insight into how the teams come out of the gate, but as of right now I would expect it a little weaker on balance - and it would be hard to match the ridiculous top heavy nature of last season's table either way! However, if we are a little weaker too, we may be fighting the same fight.

I still think the success of our season will hinge more on one player than any other: Anis Mehmeti. If he really takes off and develops even more, he may be the lynchpin of a force to be reckoned with.

• I'd throw in Shrewsbury and Fleetwood as outsiders

• I have this feeling that Al-Hamadi will be our trump card this season. He looks a powerful lad and has been brought up the Swansea way so likes a quick pass or two. Course I could be chatting utter 💩

• Ainsworth has given glowing reviews on Al Hamadi’s development since the loan move. Expecting to see a bit more of him this season

• However, Bayo has left, because he wouldn't be able to play this year, and Vokes has a full season at Wycombe behind him. So this year we will be better than if we'd stuck with Bayo and not signed Vokes.

Surely that is an improvement?