Skip to content

2022-23 squad

Comments

• You need to read what I said, in response to your own comment that we'd replaced players who've left with "development squad standard".

I acknowledge Vokes as the Bayo replacement last year. If you didn't revise that Vokes was the replacement for Bayo, then I think you missed something.

• And Bristol Rovers are a dark horse (no pun intended)!

• My question would be who is the replacement for last season’s Bayo as backup target man? He played a part in over 35 games, and was our best game changing sub.

• The key to any success this season will be the quality of the keeper we sign.

• @Chris, we have as replacements for Bayo - D'Mani, AAH, TJ. In addition we already have Hanlon & Kaikai who with further changed to our style of play in the post-Bayo I am also expecting more minutes.

Why is it that a replacement for a departing player has to be someone else coming in rather than development of those already at the club?

• edited July 2022

No one directly - Bayo's uniqueness makes him irreplaceable in that sense

• None of those players are anything like Bayo. And two of them were here last season and barely got near the pitch.

Hanlan is the only legit alternative in the middle as it stands.

The three you mention are all development boys who may or may not get some games, but certainly can't be relied on with any guarantee.

• Mellor isn't a development signing

• It sounds @Malone like the only replacement for Bayo that you would accept is Bayo himself.

Isn't going to happen and he's not the player he was anyway.

Its absolutely the case that all the players I mentioned will play a part in being the replacement for Bayo. Who said it has to be a single player or even, if we change our style of play, that we need to replace Bayo.

What else would you advocate?

• I'd be looking for us to sign a backup target man, given the role is so fundamental to the way we play.

• edited July 2022

Mellor can play that role. You'll do well to find a young out-and-out target man - they don't really exist anymore.

• Bayo is clearly one of a kind. But no, someone to be any sort of like for like signing for him has to be someone who is physical and can head it. i.e. Someone who can replace what Vokes brings. Hanlan can do some of the former, but not really the latter, and will never be a target man.

Mellor, if not by the letter of the law a development squad player is certainly a player to be developed, and I'd be surprised (pleasantly!) if he transforms from a record of 3 games in league 2 to bossing it in league 1 overnight.

(I sound like Wanderersiq82 here i know ;) )

• In fact worded concisely here.

It's pretty clear I'd have thought.

But an exceptionally difficult gig to sell, as you're basically be a Vokes backup, and he's generally touch wood a sturdy player fitness wise.

• edited July 2022

Whilst Mellor is no doubt an exciting prospect, he surely has to be classed as a development player having never started a Football League match and with only about 20 minutes experience in total across his three substitute appearances.

• Admiral Muskwe only had 5 appearances with Swindon under his belt when he joined us. And he joined us in the Championship. I think Mellor could be that random bit of magic we sometimes need.

• The bed-wetting seems to have started pretty early this season.

We've got one of the strongest squads in the history of the football club and there's every reason that believe it will be even stronger by the time the season kicks off

We'll be fighting for promotion again. Enjoy it

• It was pretty clear from Gaz's interview after signing Mellor that he's in the first-team plans

• I think across Kaikai, Hanlon, Mellor, Al-Hamadi and potentially De Barr (though I imagine he'll be loaned out) we have enough options to play when Vokes isn't available. We really need to develop Kaikai properly or we'll be kicking ourselves when he leaves and sets the division alight for another team.

I'm far more concerned with defence. We can't look to play Grimmer as back-up central defender again. This time last year the club were making a serious bid for Sam Lavelle. I accept that was before the emergence of Forino but Gareth knew then we needed three first-rate CBs for the two slots. We need to sign another with proven experience. Forino is good but in his early matches was making basic mistakes and hasn't yet performed consistently over a season (though I fully expect he will). We can't just sign more development players in the hope they will be able to step up like him.

And then obviously there's the GK. I appreciate we need to play the long game to get Bishop. But if Manchester United block the move for whatever reason, I do hope we've got a back up plan in place and won't just be left scrabbling days before the season starts.

• Our regular professional mixers throwing hand grenades over three posts.

Whoever is bought and is playing, I trust Gaz and Dobbo to produce a team pushing for the top again.

• I suppose my question is if Vokes is not available, who are we are aiming our throw in down the line from just inside our own half at?

I can’t see it being Kaikai or Hanlan. Maybe it’s Al-Hamadi or Mellor - I’ve not seen enough of them to know if that’s how they can play. Maybe it’s Wheeler or Obita rather than the central striker.

• Who's to say we'll definitely be playing the same way this season?

• I have no idea if this is the case but I'm hoping Al-Hamadi is a Stuart Beavon-style forward who can lead the line, who long balls stick to, who has a burst of acceleration and a lethal shot on him. We've not had a player like that since Beavon, though Ikpeazu had some of those attributes. Be nice to find that in Al-Hamadi and it's maybe the sort of skill set you'd hope for in someone trained by Swansea.

• Do me a favour. A 30 second watch of his YouTube highlights suggests otherwise. As does Gareth’s synopsis of his style of football in a recent interview.

• I thought I'd seen some proposals to do away with throw-ins in favour of kick-ins?

• Can I hold you to that then we are weaker and you know it just because we signed afew players from the non league it doesn't make us stronger.

• Wow! When optimistic posters who love the manager and team like @trevor and @Wanderers82 are suggesting we are **** and will struggle...you know we must be in a bad way.

• 100% weaker than last season , signings nobodies and unknowns