Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• edited June 2022

Reminds me of something that happened in the Sunderland game at Wembley. When Gape was being treated, and just before he came off, Vokes passed around a post-it note from the bench, which the Sky commentators made a gigantic "comedy meal" out of - even going as far as doing mock 'over-dubbing' of the perceived conversations on the pitch as the note was passed around. the Sky director even tried to get a camera close up to see what was written on the note, before a Wycombe player moved and got in the way. All very much designed to make us look tin-pot - as if to say: "look what 'Little Wycombe' are doing. isn't it hilarious...." Then with just a few minutes remaining, on came a Sunderland post-it. Total silence from the Sky commentary team...

• Do they expect them to pass the tactics iPad around or...?

• So we now we have lost a Centre back (however we have Taff, Forno, Grimmer and maybe Wakely), Goalkeeper and Striker all of which were very experienced with our style, the game and GA management techniques and NOTHING from the club. I'm getting slightly worried over the radio silence from the club, when every team around us are making and announcing signings.

While you experienced members will say "back in season such and such" or "Do you remember when...." It just seems as tho we have missed a trick or the last ones to get our butts in gear, Come On Club, give us something!

• How many years of doing good business relatively late in the window is it going to take for people to CALM DOWN? 😂 This isn't out of the ordinary for us at all. And the squad still needs relatively little work.

• edited June 2022

Adding to that, who is to say we haven’t signed a player or two, but just haven’t announced it yet! Ian Baker claimed two days ago that Dom has extended his stay with us yet nothing has been announced.

Funnily enough, the other day someone Tweeted saying how amazing it would be if nobody announced signings and then all clubs announced all their new signings on the same day. Like a single transfer day. Pete commented about how amazing that would be. Maybe we’re going down that route and we will announce our signings on a specific date??

• With JJ being one of those offered a deal, it seems unthinkable he wouldn't have signed on. Wing also hinted at similar.

You suspect we're awaiting pre season training or the new kit or something .

Or at least finishing the office clean.

• Are we definitely getting a new kit?

• edited June 2022

Home and a replacement for the red and white, not sure about the gold as we've only had that for one season

• It's about time we revisited green & white for our change kit, how about something like this?

• Do you have to be an "experienced" poster to remember all the way back to last year when Vokes signed.

It'd be lovely for us and for the squad to have a little boost, announce new signings right now and bed them in through pre-season but you surely aren't suggesting paying over the odds or signing lesser players for this purpose?

• edited June 2022

Are some people really equating “no news” with “no one is doing anything”?

I’m sure GA has said in the past that he works hardest at this time of the year - with his phone ringing red hot. He will know also that, unlike ‘the early years’, he has a ‘shot’ at some decent quality players. But at the same time, he and Dobbo have to ensure they are the right type of person. With AH still a key contract negotiator, and RC quoted as saying to GA that if he needs any support over the summer to just give him a ring, we are in decent shape for a club of our stature to get the key players we need. It’s just faith and patience that’s required for now. A few years ago we were on a wing and a prayer, with GA and Dobbo regularly working miracles. We are in a different position now...

• With Stockdale, Stewart and Bayo out the door it feels like we need a bit of a mini rebuild. In fairness getting to the playoff final puts us behind others as we didnt know what division to plan for. Trust GA to get it right. For me first through the door to boost morale could be Alfie Mawson, especially after Tools departure it's an area we need to focus on.

• I must be in the minority but I don't worry about signings at all. If we lose players I assume we will get good replacements in mainly because the manager's job depends on it. We always do our business late. Has anyone mentioned that yet?

• We are not going to sign Alfie Mawson.

• You and I both @Wendoverman.

• The biggest signing for us this season will be keeping hold of Taff

• Nick Freeman is going to be like signing a new player.

• With your recent record (Stewart won't go.the latest) I might crank out the Mawson shirt.

• Did I say that? I can barely remember what I had for lunch, so quite possible.

But Mawson is a proven Champ defender in his prime years - let's not be silly.

• There needs to be a caveat though, and his massive injury record is what could tilt it our way.

Clearly without that, he'd be top of champ bottom end Prem level.

• That doesn't suddenly reduce him from a Champ player to a L1 player, though. Maybe if he was older, but he only turned 28 in January. I'd be absolutely astonished if it happened.

• Mawson would want substantial wages. Would it be sensible to invest a large portion of our wage budget on an injury prone player?

• Mawson was training with us for last few months of the season. Apparently his knee keeps failing him everytime he thinks he's ready to play a match again. His parents live locally.

I was informed by a reputable source within the first team that we wouldn't be signing him due to this. To quote "He keeps breaking down."

Two things:

1. I assume that was the truth
    2. Darius Charles - he was meant to never play again, and managed one more ridiculously good season

With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a pay as you play deal, if (big if) he can get fit enough to play again and his knee holds up.

• Masson is obviously the one signing that would make us cheer up after the Stewart departure. But there will be Championship clubs interested in him and I agree about whether he’d be worth the higher wages. If he did stay reasonably fit with Taf all season though that would be an incredible pair at CB! Why not dream?

• That's such a shame if his knee is knackered