Skip to content

Sunderland fans view of the final

Comments

• Lmao. I have my address on a placard round my neck so the pubs can shepherd me home

• How do you spell address @micra?

• Having started this thread, I thought it would be polite to to give my view.

Firstly I thought both sets of fans did themselves proud yesterday , we were loud and proud and you were very graceful in defeat. Your manager was very complimentary n his comments after the game and this has gone very well our boards.

On one thread there is a link to this board and, with the odd exception, the complements for you and your club are very clear. In general while not being fans of your style of play, they accept that it is effective and plays to your strengths, also that your current style of play is not permanent but the fans are.

On the game itself, I think there were two key elements we got right.

First, you are very good from corners or set pieces less than 20 yards from the by line, we worked our socks off to turn possible corners into throw ins or even just get the ball up field. Clearly Alex Neil had watch the video of the 3-3 draw when two of your goals came from the three corners you had. This effectively cut off the supply to Vokes, who with the right service is as good a striker as you will find in this league.

The second was the change of shape halfway through the second half. You were stating to get a bit of moment down your right flank and Cirkin was under pressure and had just been booking, giving you the opportunity to get the ball in to feed Vokes. Embleton had been playing a more central role and this had left space in front of Cirkin which you were starting to exploit. There was a real danger that Cirkin would be put into a position where not only would he give away a free kick from which you would score, but also get a second yellow, leaving us with ten men. Neil obviously saw this and replaced Embleton, even though he was having a decent game, with Clarke putting him in his natural position on the wing in front of Cirkin, this filled that space and protected Cirkin and cut off what was possibly your best way into the game.

It’s decisions like this which have marked out the difference between Alex Neil and our previous managers in League 1. Since he arrived he has been the difference and was the reason we were confident before the game, not because we were a “bigger club”, but because we knew we now have a manager who will always have a plan A, plan B, plan C and a few more and will male changes to effect theses plans.

Good luck next season and I hope to see you all in two years time in the Premier League, if the original Wimbledon can do it so can you. Keep the faith and keep supporting your local club rather than the big boys in London.

• Can't remember the exact order but at roughly the same time we brought off the winger (full back really) who was covering our Left Back for another striker. Worth a roll of the dice but it didn't really work for us and you were solid defensively as well as decent on the ball. Think we'd have given you a better game with one or two players fitter and available, and a bit of luck somewhere but you were worthy of the win and have assembled a decent squad we couldn't have got near. Neill's done great in his short spell with you, not quite sure what happened at Preston but they were pretty poor late on, his previous with Norwich suggests he knows what he's doing.

• Great to see Darius Charles there to watch the game. Scotty Kashket too..of course. Any other former players spotted?

• Tyson & Marcus Bean

• Sam wood and Max Kretchmar too

• Keith Ryan was chatting with fans in the queue for the trains. Steve Brown was also spotted by fans in the queue as he walked past. Their appearance seemed to lift spirits actually.

• Jacob Gardiner Smith in block 110

• David Perpetuini

• Danny Senda

• Kevin Betsy

• edited May 2022

What a strange thing to wonder about after all the decent comments.

I didn't pay much attention but I don't recall them getting on their players backs either.

• @Cheltenham22

I was in block 122, close to the half way line, and close to the netting dividing the Wycombe and Sunderland fans. Some of the Sunderland fans in the lower rows seemed to spend a fair bit of the first half, rather than watching the game, making gestures (of the not very polite kind) at the Wycombe fans, who just ignored them. If it had been the Sunderland yoof it would have been laughable, unfortunately, many of them appeared old enough to be the parents of the Sunderland yoof.

At the beginning of the second half their mood was not good, and they definitely turned on their own players. As I said, it was the second goal that calmed them down. Towards the end of the match they were getting a fair amount of attention from the stewards, and at the end of the match the stewards formed a barrier between the two sets of fans, but were concentrating their attention totally towards the Sunderland fans.

Yes, I do wonder how they would have reacted to a defeat.

• Ask Charlton fans how we were after getting beat in 98 and then again in 2019. In fact they still speak very highly of us as a result, it'd have been no different had the result gone against us on Saturday.

The Internet isn't a good representation of our fan base as a whole, hopefully you all had positive experiences of our fans on Saturday as much as I had with yours.

• @LochNessDrogba No worries. I don't judge the vast majority by the behaviour of a small minority. The Sunderland fans I spoke to before and after the match were great. Unfortunately, all clubs have a few dickheads.

• You seem to have spent the whole game looking at what Sunderland supporters were doing or, as I believe, making things up.

• Have to agree having been warned about poor quality and high cost of both booze and food to soak up said booze. I enjoyed two queueless pints and a passable chicken and chip combo and the price was not as exorbitant as I expected. Obviously my standards are low.

• I knew it was there somewhere @LX1 ! Not quite the nutter you thought I was.

• And that was the reference to shepherding home. You’ll be feeling a bit sheepish now.

• @Cheltenham22

When things are happening between where you are seated and part of the pitch it is impossible not to notice the behaviour of people as well watching the match.

As a person of 70+ I regard it as a matter of my own self preservation to stay aware of what is happening.

As for what you believe, that is up to you.

• Self preservation?

Sounds like you're either a sore loser or should stay home in case you're attacked.

Of course the stewards were facing the opposition, at the end of the game, the losing team weren't going to invade the pitch. Many of the Wycombe fans were already leaving tbh.

• Slightly bizarre turn this thread has taken and unnecessarily (in my opinion) personal.

the vast majority of Sunderland fans were indeed approachable, self-deprecating and magnanimous but that doesn’t mean they all were.

and it’s easy, if in the wrong place at the wrong time, for someone to be sufficiently irritated by the antics of one or two (or more) idiots/drummers/Children/crisp eaters/coke heads/etc for their enjoyment (occasionally) of the football to be adversely and irrationally affected.

be nice

• I am being nice.

I just think this chap is exaggerating. As far as I could see there was absolutely no threat from the Sunderland fans. Suggesting the stewards were concerned, or that the Sunderland lot might've turned nasty, if they'd lost, is just a bit silly.

The fact is both sets of supporters were excellent, I'll leave it at that.

• edited May 2022

Thanks @bookertease.

Once a person starts nit-picking, twisting what you say to fit their own agenda, being objectionable and just generally trolling, then it is time to treat them as a troll and block them. That is what I have in this case.

I have better thing to do with my life than deal with them.

• I've twisted nothing, I've been polite all the way through. No idea what a troll is, this is the first forum I've posted on. I just think it's a shame that you're nitpicking at the Sunderland support when the general view is different to yours. If you want a forum where people can only automatically agree with you then I'll leave you to it.

Thanks to you all and good luck next season, just not against Cheltenham!

• @Cheltenham22 I am confused, are you saying you prefer a forum where everyone automatically agrees with you? Because it seems someone not agreeing with you has upset you.

• That's why I post here, to be fair.

• Have you addresses this to the right poster? As that's the opposite of what Cheltenham is saying.