Skip to content

Sunderland fans view of the final

Comments

• 👆 Another reason to like Burton Albion after there hospitality and love shown to Bayo this season.

@Safc_in_peace just wondering will your fans boo or give an ovation to Akinfenwa if he comes on? It’s a real opportunity to show the class of your fans. Milton Keynes Franchise were despicable to him this season, most opponents love him. Burton gave him the warmest of welcomes and their PA announced him as an EFL legend.

• My mate commented to me on the walk back to the trains that the Sunderland fans seemed weirdly subdued considering, I put it down to their overwhelming emotion being relief rather than joy. Chatted to loads on the train, by which point they'd moved on to being worried about their chances next season. Following a massive club doesn't seem much fun. I reckon they'll be fine next season on that showing if they can keep hold of Roberts and the Loch Ness Drogba.

• Obviously, once you've played Wycombe everything else is anticlimactic @drcongo

• Agreed they were just massively releaved…… and you know what, given our squad and performance etc etc there is a bit of me (a little like Southend) that thinks we just weren’t quiet ready and we are going to enjoy next season all the more. Who needs Elland Rd when you’ve got The New Lawn. See you all in August💙

• It's weird - I actually don't mind Sunderland so much now that they have (deservedly) gone up. Our worlds are not going to collide again unless we find a way to get up to the second tier.

• Some silly stuff has been said over the last few years and it was enjoyable to laugh at delusions of grandeur amid obvious underperformance, but they were too good for us today and their fans came down in big numbers and in good spirits. Good luck to them.

• edited May 2022

Never found Sunderland fans to be anything other than friendly and humble in person. I honestly think a few keyboard warriors scew the view as well as some interpreting comments wrongly.

• I too found all the Mackems I spoke to, to be friendly and humble too.

• Their fans were brilliant yesterday, can't say anything other than that. Gave their team excellent support and were very gracious to the Wycombe fans stuck outside the stadium station when they had to cut through. Very glad to say the gobshites on social media were nowhere to be heard in the flesh.

• Yep..nothing to see here.

We can concentrate on the proper grudges next year. The most ever..o

Oxford, PBoro, Rovers, MK, Derby

• Got a lot of moaning from Sheff Wed fans towards the end of the season but it's remarkable that we can rile the like of them and Sunderland while some of those those from a few years back : Notts County, Southend and Barnet have another season in non league. Must be doing something right.

• Why will our worlds never collide again? I do not rule out us reaching the Championship again, or Sunderland returning to League 1.

Sunderland spent/wasted a colossal amount of money to get out of League 1, rising out of the Championship will be far from cheap, and there is no guarantee that they will manage the step up any better than others in recent history.

Their aspirations may be to get back to the Premier League but that is easier said than done.

• Sunderland aim can only be to stay up. As they know the Championship is unforgiving!

• thought we were brilliant, also thought you lot were decent but we just didn’t allow you to play. Patterson very commanding, If anyone knows your keeper personally buy him a pint for me, good luck next year fellas.

• Have to say that the Sunderland fans I met yesterday were absolutely fine I spent a lot of time chatting and shaking hands with them with no sign of the entitlement I read on line. Wish them well in the championship. Here’s to us joining them

• I think Sunderland will be comfortably mid-table next season - they've already got one of the best managers in the Championship, and if they involve him properly in recruitment this summer then they should be in a very strong position.

• Imho

I didn't expect anything less but I found every Sunderland fan I met yesterday fantastic. Not wanting to queue for the train I wandered into the 'Sunderland pubs'. No gloating. No abuse. Happy to chat about our common love of football, as the Sunderland poster on here has demonstrated. Respect to Sunderland and hope we play again soon.

(Yeah I know..pass the sick bucket haha)

• edited May 2022

Lynden Gooch has slightly tarnished things for Sunderland by acting like an absolute child and baiting Darius Charles on Twitter instead of enjoying the victory as any normal player would

• In fairness buddy the original comments from Charles were a bit badly thought out - there to be shot at when something didn't go the way of the club. Someone will always drag them back up.

All in all really friendly yesterday with both sides (as it should be of course!) but having met some really chewy Portsmouth fans in 2019 at Wembley its not always a given.

Marvellous day and you all played your part in that too.

• One thing we could all agree on is the outrageous prices at Wembley. The lady sat in front of me with two young kids got them half a bag of pick and mix each and it was £20 !!!!!

• The wembley Tavern near Wembley park tube station, is a bar ive used before when coming back from Barnet and going to gigs at Wembley Arena as you could get a pint for under £4. Went in there yesterday after the Torch got to busy. They had raised the prices to £8 a pint !! Even for bog standard Carlsberg, absolutely disgusting.

• The problem with this whole "bantering" stuff is it's inevitable people will remember and give it back later on.

If you're online publicly saying how it's "Our house" and delighting in beating them, you have to expect a bit back when you lose.

Although Charles isn't involved now, so it's a bit dim going after him.

• I wouldn't have taken issue with one light dig back, but he seemed to be seeking out various things Charles had said - including one which had no relation to Sunderland! Like I said, childish.

• Charles made his comments about Sunderland at Adams Park, and is no longer at the club. Using that as an excuse to have a dig about a different result in a different season at a different venue is rather pathetic.

One thing I noticed yesterday was that when Wycombe started the second half brightly, and Sunderland were giving away free kicks and having passes going astray, the mood of the Sunderland fans near me very soon changed. They really started getting on the backs of their own players. It was only the second goal that calmed them down. I wonder if they would have been so good humoured had the result have been different.

• @ReturnToSenda just don't look at Twitter. Live in the real world. Write girls numbers on your arm. Turn your phone off sometimes

• I have to write my own number on my arm these days

• Pint and a pie very decent and pretty reasonable tbh and very quick and welcome after being put off by queues elsewhere, also managed to get some drinks easy enough at half time having underestimated the heat.

• Good advice.

Seeking out stuff to be offended by is not the route to a happy life.

• This wasn't seeking it out so much as seeing someone acting like a dick in plain sight (and me defending my club, which I feel naturally inclined to do 🤷).