Skip to content

Sunderland fans view of the final

Comments

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I just googled it and got sucked into a discussion about the Khmer Rouge

I'm sure Pol Pot was nicknamed Tin Pot by his enemies

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    How about a lifetime stadium ban and ten year internet ban for anyone using the word tinpot - who's with me?

What if it's in reference to the Papa John's Trophy?

Exception that proves the rule, maybe.

But generally I hate it. It's become a catch-all for online morons to denigrate other clubs. I'd add "anti-football" to the proscribed list too. What does that actually mean? is it like antimatter but with more long ball tactics instead of atomic particles?

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I just googled it and got sucked into a discussion about the Khmer Rouge

Tin Pol Pot?

• I always assumed it was mocking non-league trophies physically resembling tin pots, but a friend always insists it comes from not having a tin pot to piss in.

• When Paul Potts won ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ didn’t Ant & Deck say the competition was tin pot?

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I always assumed it was mocking non-league trophies physically resembling tin pots, but a friend always insists it comes from not having a tin pot to piss in.

So Derby are now officially tin pot?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Football fans think the team they support might win...shock horror. I think @trevor and @Wanderers82 should write our preview...for balance like.
    Suggested Headline 'We will be ****ing shit. Ainsworth gets it wrong again!'

I expect the pair of them have already penned a template out for if we lose.

Maybe tapping into some material a few who should know better were peddling mid season. The lost the dressing room, taken us as far as possible with this "style" type gub.

• Here is another thread looking at your stats and players. Let me know if you agree with the first long post.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe-wanderers-preview-stats-analysis-play-style-xg-etc-playoff-final-edition.1579256/

• @Safc_in_peace said:
    Here is another thread looking at your stats and players. Let me know if you agree with the first long post.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe-wanderers-preview-stats-analysis-play-style-xg-etc-playoff-final-edition.1579256/

Someone's been looking at The Analyst's interactive metrics. I approve.

• I wrote this before the semis, but it should still contain some relevant insight on both sides!

• This is a real study by Mark Levine at the University of Lancaster:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15743980/

Literally one of the first studies I learned about in my first weeks as a psychology undergraduate

• Cheers @WanderingDays - I find this kind of thing fascinating!!!

• I probably spend as much time reading opposition forums as I do our own and the impression I get from the majority of Sunderland posts is that their team has to just turn up and collect the trophy, yes there are more considered view but not many

• @Safc_in_peace Those links do indeed show that not everyone in Sunderland is assuming a win, there are a few who give us the respect of showing their working out - heartwarming proof that there are those in your numbers that have undergone formal education.

• You would think they’d learn a little about the history of clubs outside the top flight especially since it’s been so long since they’ve been in it.

Also finding out how tickets are allocated would be useful.

• She wore, she wore, she wore a sky blue ribbon,

She wore a sky blue ribbon in the merry month of May

And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,

She said it's for the Wycombe and we're going to Wembley

Today could be a struggle

• Some fair comments about us @Safc_in_peace. If we had Hanlan and Mehmeti as options I would feel better in attack. Both are likely to be out and have not featured for a few weeks anyway. This is a big shame as they would give us a better set of alternatives. Don't be fooled into thinking that direct is hit and hope. Vokes is a superb hold up player as well as winning more than his fair share of flicks and layoffs in the air. We need every player to click, you can probably get away with a couple of sub-par performances.

Wouldn't it be lovely to support a team who were regularly 3 goals up with ten minutes to play?

• When we first went up to Slumberland and got that one one draw their fans, to a man, were nice as pie, never met a friendlier bunch BUT only their subsequent nonsense has down their true colours - they were patronising entitled delusional etc

• "Ainsworth has a fully-fit [unnecessary hyphen] squad to choose from"

Lol

• We could all take a lesson from our wonderful manager and demonstrate our class by showing total respect for our opponents at all times. Never being dragged into slagging off or bad mouthing, just respectful fact and sportsmanship. Just saying. COYB!

• Sunderland warming up for tomorrow

• It's their cup final

• It's really strange to think that Wycombe and Sunderland fans have such similar emotions right now, like the only fans that totally understand this moment are those of the opposition.

• It’s their big day oot…a trip up to London

• Bless. Miserable 4-5 hour journey home if they lose.

• edited May 2022

Seen some great videos of Sunderland fans in Covent Garden and surrounds.

They will say it’s our biggest ever game yet we took more to Wembley against Kiddy and Runcorn in the 91 and 93 Trophy Finals.

We also took more in 57 against Bishop Auckland for the Amateur Cup Final.

They are certainly the most well supported team we have played in the League but not the draw they think they are. That all stopped on May 21st 2017 when they were relegated from the Premiership after a 5-1 thrashing at Stamford Bridge and then relegated again a year later against that small and proud club Burton Albion.