Skip to content

We need to re-create the spirit of '91

For those who weren't around back then, the town of High Wycombe went absolutely crazy when we reached the FA Trophy Final in 1991.

There was bunting across the streets, every shop had a window display, the market was taken over by stalls selling dodgy unofficial merch, and for weeks beforehand people were walking around town in Wycombe colours.

Come the day of the game the pubs and cafes were rammed, and there were trains just running to and from Wembley stadium what seemed like every few minutes.

We took the best part of 30,000 supporters to Wembley that day. There is absolutely no reason why we can't do that again. We need everyone decked in blue from head to toe, rosettes being worn, flags being waved, faces painted. There is such a great feeling of togetherness at the moment. It is only Wycombe Wanderers, in High Wycombe, that is able to produce this.

Comments

• Totally Agree, I think in the Couhigs they won't miss a marketing trick, and whip the area into a frenzy.

• My worry is they will overprice the merch and we all say fuck that. We totally messed up the merchandise sales against Southend but I appreciate things were different back then. I’d like the club to go down the high demand / low mark up route for this and make it a sea of light and dark blue. The comments will come about putting money into the club rather than traders outside of our club but it will be our own fault if it’s too expensive. For example the current club scarf is shit and I know I’ll get a good one from an independent at Wembley for a tenner or less

• Any ideas of how much final tickets will cost. Any change out of £60 for non concessions apart from restricted view?

• Not a half-and-half, though, pleeeeease...

• Plenty of food for thought there and I agree that, if anyone can get a handle on it, the Couhigs can. Right up Missy’s street.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Not a half-and-half, though, pleeeeease...

Beat me to it!

• edited May 2022

@DevC said:
    Any ideas of how much final tickets will cost. Any change out of £60 for non concessions apart from restricted view?

£45 for bottom tier behind the goal last year https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/post/ticketing-arrangements-confirmed-for-sky-bet-league-one-play-off-final

• Moved to Wycombe in Sept 90. Busy setting up home and starting a new job meant little time for fun such as football. Then all this blue was everywhere!!!

First Wycombe match for me was that final. Had season ticket for the next season until I left Wycombe just over a decade later. Still try to get over for some matches every year.

Gutted I’ll not be able to go to this final (still can’t fly or do long journeys after surgery) but will be cheering on from here.

• Can we get some special Media Inglese scarfs done and encourage the entire crowd to swing them around above their heads?

• I came to Wycombe in August 93 so my memories are of the 94 Playoffs and Final.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Not a half-and-half, though, pleeeeease...

Not a chance @LeedsBlue

• As the Jazz Club guy would say..."Nice!!"

• @eric_plant said:
    We took the best part of 30,000 supporters to Wembley that day. There is absolutely no reason why we can't do that again.

Eric, the history book has it as 23,000 Wycombe fans, Gasman has 25,000, in a crowd of 34,842. We did take more to the 93 final against Runcorn, some 28,000 out of 32,968.

For the 2015 Southend game, I thought we took 15,000, Gasman has it as approx.17,000 out of 38,252.

In 94 we took about 17,000, Preston about 25,000. Inflated prices kept numbers down.

In 57 against the Bishops, we took about 30,000 out of 90,000.

We should take at least 20,000 this time but could be more, if supporters can galvanise family and friends.

For that Kiddy game, the Commercial Manger, Allan Robson, took all remaining boxes of merchandise to the station on the day and sold them all. A former market stall trader, he was enterprising. Hopefully the Commercial team are equally so.

• Thanks Steve - in my head I'd always had the number higher for the Kiddy game. Perhaps I've got it muddled with Runcorn one.

Anyway, I'm sure we can all agree that we should take far more than we did to the Southend game. Purely anecdotal of course, but I'm already being asked about ticket availability by mates who haven't been for years, many of whom now have family they will bring along as well.

It could just be giddiness, but I sense that there's something special in the air and if we can galvanise it we might just see a 30,000 strong sea of blue in a couple of weeks time. I've always said that Wycombe is a massive football town. A lot of people are fans of London clubs who will keep an eye out for our results. If they all turn out for their local club you just never know.

• edited May 2022

I think this is definitely a chance to really imprint the club on the town - we need to. I'm in town at the moment and you wouldn't know the local team had just got to Wembley. I've seen one football shirt and that was United because of course...

• @Steve_Peart didn’t MO’N suggest that the PNE numbers were lower because people stated taking our success for granted?

I expect whichever premier league club we play will be able to sell 50000 plus tickets, so hopefully we’re given a fair share.

• I think for the trophy matches we had more time to galvanise the town and sell tickets than playoffs. However with social media and kids back at school already today we have a great opportunity to get strong numbers especially off the back of recent home attendances

• @floyd said:
    @Steve_Peart didn’t MO’N suggest that the PNE numbers were lower because people stated taking our success for granted?

That rings a bell @floyd.

• Yep, got loads of people asking to come who haven't been in ages
    Think we sell well for this.

• Important that our fans buy early or we may lose seats to the opposition.

• Any view on when you expect these to go on sale Alan.

I presume it will be through an agency (eg See Tickets) as before??

• @username123 said:
    My worry is they will overprice the merch and we all say fuck that. We totally messed up the merchandise sales against Southend but I appreciate things were different back then. I’d like the club to go down the high demand / low mark up route for this and make it a sea of light and dark blue. The comments will come about putting money into the club rather than traders outside of our club but it will be our own fault if it’s too expensive. For example the current club scarf is shit and I know I’ll get a good one from an independent at Wembley for a tenner or less

Rumour is that there is a van load of Franchise Play-Off scarves heading to a recycling point in Bletchley as we speak. Apparently they were going to be handed out free with discounted tickets to anyone in MK that showed any interest. Could always grab these and tie-dye them blue ?

• @AlanCecil said:
    Important that our fans buy early or we may lose seats to the opposition.

That's a joke - allocation should be half of the capacity max.

• Someone at work reckons each club will get 27,000 tickets. Any truth in that?

• @LDF said:
    Someone at work reckons each club will get 27,000 tickets. Any truth in that?

What are they doing with the other 30-odd thousand?! That sounds like BS to me.

• The special trains thing is important too. I’m guessing that Chiltern now run more trains on the line than used to run, so I hope we engage with them early if indeed we have not already done so

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LDF said:

Go to corporate, FA etc. He might be getting confused with cup finals.

• @LDF said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LDF said:

Go to corporate, FA etc. He might be getting confused with cup finals.

That would be extreme even for a major cup final, would it not?!

• TBF 54k must be about the capacity of the lower and middle tier at Wembley so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the initial allocation for each club. Then the upper tier tickets will become available as and when those are sold. (Which for Sunderland or Sheffield Wednesday won't take long...)

• Ticket rumours are often, as we know, even less reliable than transfer speculation - wait for the official announcements....

Like Eric, I am convinced we can sell 30,000. But also like Eric, it's the effect of the giddiness of yesterday and the belief that there IS interest in the football club in them there Chiltern Hills that gives me that hope. Just as there always has been in the past. I'd like to think my optimism is well placed. the Couhig marketing machine will be grinding into action pretty soon. It's one of the things they said they would bring to the club - this is a massive opportunity for them to deliver us a bumper sale!!