Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• Good result, but made it hard. Scowen was again a cut above, but the midfield offered little protection for the back. Taff and Stewart looked too casual, and Obita was fairly anonymous until his goal. Horgan is great when the ball is at his feet, but he was a bit too weak against a big Burton side.

Terrified of the playoffs against Franchise, they are a fantastic side

• Has anyone mentioned the financial benefits? Not just the Sky money of course but also 1/4 of gate receipts from the 4 games - that's how they've done it before. So Wednesday and Sunderland are ideal teams to be in it.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Good result, but made it hard. Scowen was again a cut above, but the midfield offered little protection for the back. Taff and Stewart looked too casual, and Obita was fairly anonymous until his goal. Horgan is great when the ball is at his feet, but he was a bit too weak against a big Burton side.

Terrified of the playoffs against Franchise, they are a fantastic side

We're a fantastic side.

• Great day, and so thankful for Plymouth's epic meltdown that made it unbelievably comfortable in the end!
    We could have lost 4-1 and still got in. Utter madness.

We could really do with a miracle of either Mehmeti or Hanlan somehow being fit again as we do look slightly short in attacking options.
    However, it's a nice option to have JJ/Obita for extra solidity that side.

Mk will be tough, we've lost both league games to them, but narrowly.
    Time to put that right.

Beating them, and then Sunderland in the final, would be the absolute top class script for Bayo to go out on!

• @Malone said:

>

Beating them, and then Sunderland in the final, would be the absolute top class script for Bayo to go out on!

I couldn’t give a shit about the Franchise, but I have to admit to pondering the ultimate way to win the final - I’m torn between either a 97th minute Scowen screamer, or a 97th minute deflection off Scowen’s arse, meaning we wouldn’t deserve it, which would only make it more fun.

I certainly don’t have any antagonism towards Sunderland, but their treatment of Scowen should earn its just rewards, even if their loss was absolutely our gain.

• Great days out with the Wanderers, this is right up there. Let's not forget this is a wonderful achievement whatever comes to pass. One for all the bleaters at certain clubs, supposedly we only made the playoffs last time due to blah blah blah, and they would be so much more suited to the championship.....
    We didn't start well today but grew into it and did what was needed, little scrappy even late on but also some nice stuff played with the players available. I'm sure the plastic bin club will pose a challenge with two games so soon and close to each but so will we and we will be up for it.

• MK will be gutted surely to put Plymouth to the sword but not get automatic...and we want revenge for defeats home and away. What a great end to the campaign. I got sick of reading other fan forums when, even after we beat them, would say we were crap and would not get anywhere near promotion.

• @drcongo said:
    The old Wheeler on for Horgan sub has the same old outcome.

And today's @Wanderers82 award goes to.... :smile:
    (Only joshing doc...)

• I respect the quality of all three playoff teams, but for some reason I would prefer to play a team who has already beaten us twice (narrowly) as it feels like their luck might run out. For the same reason I did not want to meet Plymouth in the playoffs.

Either way, to get in on the last day feels like playing with house money. The squad is thin, there are three other fantastic sides, and we are rank underdogs. We have them right where we want them!

• I think Wednesday are better than Sunderland, though I would prefer to beat the Mackems in the Final with any of the scenarios @PBo outlines above.

• Great day, even if not the best match. Almost too comfortable in the end which is all that really mattered!

Little word for Burton - fast efficient entry, very friendly staff, chips, welcoming and accomodating of our celebrations at the end of the match. I've come away with a very good impression of the club.

• I would take an own goal winner off an opponent's backside to go up, but I can't stop thinking about Bayo scoring it.

• edited April 2022

@FmG said:
    Great day, even if not the best match. Almost too comfortable in the end which is all that really mattered!

Little word for Burton - fast efficient entry, very friendly staff, chips, welcoming and accomodating of our celebrations at the end of the match. I've come away with a very good impression of the club.

Nice club.
    Almost caught out by the car parks and industrial units all being sold out earlier than I expected.
    But was able to chuck the car in a nearby road easily enough in the end.

• @Shev said:
    I would take an own goal winner off an opponent's backside to go up, but I can't stop thinking about Bayo scoring it.

If the script writers have got it right, a Bayo late winner , and even more limbsy post match interview is already on the cards.

• @Shev said:
    I would take an own goal winner off an opponent's backside to go up, but I can't stop thinking about Bayo scoring it.

Is it too late to sign up Darius Charles for the final against Sunderland?

• Funniest thing about today was the red faced spoof of the archetypal modern day football fan on the Burton terrace side. I thought he was going to spontaneously combust at one stage, so angry was he with absolutely everything. The cherry on the top was when him and his side-kick sneaked out just before the end.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Funniest thing about today was the red faced spoof of the archetypal modern day football fan on the Burton terrace side. I thought he was going to spontaneously combust at one stage, so angry was he with absolutely everything. The cherry on the top was when him and his side-kick sneaked out just before the end.

Had a right "character" behind me, some sour grey haired old bloke who rotated between abusing the ref over that pathetic internet rumour some halfwit made up, making at least 40-50 comments to absolutely zero encouragement or laughter from anyone around, and commentating on the trust directors every move and criticising them for "freeloading".

Possibly peaking when their fan had a medical incident, asking why the medical team couldn't go around the pitch instead of holding the game up!

• PASOTI (Plymouth forum) - a lot of Argyle fans suggesting that they want us to win the playoffs so they don't have to play us again. I'm sure it's not intended as a compliment but it shows how far we have come that teams genuinely don't want to play us.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think Wednesday are better than Sunderland, though I would prefer to beat the Mackems in the Final with any of the scenarios @PBo outlines above.

The only problem would be Sky fawning over Sunderland for the week before

• PBoPBo
    edited April 2022

@Shev said:

no no no, if you insist on an o.g. to seal it, I feel it should be Mehmeti hitting a point blank range blaster off O9 which ricochets off and trickles awkwardly over the line.

• Surely a Scowen shot that bounces in off 09 @PBo ?

• @FmG said:
    Great day, even if not the best match. Almost too comfortable in the end which is all that really mattered!

A great day out, helped by the easy welcome of the Burton staff. No hassle at all. We parked on the verge outside the ground…that’s legal outside London and Cardiff right?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Surely a Scowen shot that bounces in off 09 @PBo ?

No, though I did get it wrong. I liked O9 for us, he was just as much of an annoying wind-up merchant for us as he is for Sunderland, so there's no malice there...but the Mehmeti reference was regarding O9 getting A.M. sent off.

So perhaps it should be, point blank blaster from Anis, hits O9, falls to Scowen then bang - winner.

Let me know if I'm overthinking an entirely hypothetical scenario though which has an infinitesimally small chance of actually coming off, though.

• Totally feasible @PBo ?

• Is VAR in action if we get to Wembley?

• I would also like to point out that we need Sunderland in the final so that we can wear the quarters rather than the sickly seaside kit.

• Fantastic away support today. One of those days where you knew if you started a chant that everyone around you would immediately back you up

• @Shev said:
    I would also like to point out that we need Sunderland in the final so that we can wear the quarters rather than the sickly seaside kit.

Excellent river pun @Shev

• Lost on me, I’m afraid, @LX1.

• We can WEAR the quarters against Sunderland.

'Cause the fog on the Wear is all mine all mine.
    The fog on the Wear is all mine.
    The fog on the Wear is all mine all mine.
    The fog on the Wear is all mine.

Could a copper catch a crooked copper maker,
    could a copper comprehend.
    That a crooked copper maker's,
    Just an undertaker,
    A one it takes to be your friend.