Skip to content

Man of the Match - Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• Forino…what a match for the young man!

• Can't believe Gape hasn't got more votes. Did a great job on Barry Bannan yesterday

• Forino was immense today.

Fully deserved the MOTM accolade on the Gasroom. Obita was great today but Forino was outstanding.

Onwards to Burton

• @micra said:
    Thanks @floyd and @Mandown. I must have missed that flick on. Given that, arguably, it led to what could become the most vital goal of the season, that is a good enough reason. And thank goodness Horgan squared it! He has silenced most of his critics over the past few months but you wouldn’t have put much money on him scoring from the position he squared the ball to Obita.

Most, indeed. From behind the goal yesterday: “Horgan has been alright today. He’s still sh*t though”

Nobody would have blamed him for taking a shot but yes, thank goodness he didn’t!

• @bicester_blue said:
    Can't believe Gape hasn't got more votes. Did a great job on Barry Bannan yesterday

The problem is so many really good performances and only One vote!

• Elite mentality from Horgan. Considering his lack of joy in front of goal, you could imagine a player thinking "this is my moment" and taking a shot. Great composure to make the pass and ensure the goal. Also, his touch off his chest to get into that position was perfect, got some power on it to get himself past the defender.

Definitely his best moment in a Wycombe shirt.

• @Shev said:
    If Forino played all season he would have a shot at POTS. What a find.

I agree with this. Considering his lack of experience I think Forino has been fantastic and yesterday was his best performance so far. What I like about him is that he’s an old fashioned ‘no nonsense’ defender, if the ball has to go into the stand that’s where it goes. People get excited about Mehmeti’s potential but this lad also has a great future in the game.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Shev said:
    If Forino played all season he would have a shot at POTS. What a find.

I agree with this. Considering his lack of experience I think Forino has been fantastic and yesterday was his best performance so far. What I like about him is that he’s an old fashioned ‘no nonsense’ defender, if the ball has to go into the stand that’s where it goes. People get excited about Mehmeti’s potential but this lad also has a great future in the game.

Forino was unbelievable yesterday, but not sure if it was his best so far. His performance away at Charlton on New Year's Day was truly sensational

• edited April 2022

He does have a 'no-nonsense' streak in him, but he's also quite progressive and will only improve in that respect - knows how to pick a pass and, more importantly and unlike Stewart, when, which makes him a better fit for the more progressive / possession-based style we're slowly developing. And Taf's calmness alongside him just gives him so much freedom to do his thing - an ideal partnership.

• Sunday morning and I’m still amazed we managed 3 points yesterday. The wind made the game a real battle of attrition and we defended absolutely superbly. Forino seems to get bigger every time I see him and had a cracking game. MOM for me, although Tafazolli, Scowen and Gape for me were also excellent. And I also have to mention Jason McCarthy who I though defended really well on a number of occasions.

That was the epitome of a gritty 3 points and keeps us in with a chance on the final day which is fantastic. At 80 points and beating a side as good as Wednesday the players deserved that performance to seal the play offs but this season is crazy. It would be great to get there, as much for the club from a financial perspective and the players who deserve a shot at it. All we can do is beat Burton and hope results go for us.

In a way I think Tuesday is going to be huge. We need Rotherham not to win against Sunderland to keep MK hopes of automatic promotion alive for their game v Plymouth - I think that’s key. And hopefully Fleetwood can somehow scrap and fight a draw. It does seem it may well be decided on goal difference so we need our shooting boots on on Saturday. Let’s hope for a repeat of last season’s final day score line!

• I went for Taff. I don’t think he missed a beat all afternoon. Could easily have been Forino.

Suspect Dom Gape would’ve lost votes for his ragged passing 1st half. Certainly did a good job otherwise though.

• @therabbittest said:

Definitely his best moment in a Wycombe shirt.

Close in my view. The quick free kick offside ‘goal’ against Derby probably tops it for me. How different things could have been…

• @micra said:
    Come on now. Own up. Who genuinely thought Sam Vokes was Man of the Match? Reasons (if any)?

Mrs Vokes?

• edited April 2022

I notice Obita hasn’t got a single vote. I assume whoever voted at the ground was a sponsor who either knows nothing about football or was more interested in the free bar, or both.

Delighted for Obita to have got the goal but let’s be honest, he was largely anonymous before his move to left back and it looked to me that the change was coming from the bench prior to the goal.

With Hanlan on crutches it’s fair to assume we won’t see him again this season. Mehmeti’s still in a protective boot too so I would be amazed if he recovers for Burton. Therefore who do we play in that position next Saturday? Kaikai probably felt hard done by yesterday and I expect he will again.

• I imagine he played Obita partly as he wanted to stretch Wednesday's WBs. Burton also play with WBs, so it could well be the same again, but there's also a case for shifting McCleary to the left and bringing Kaikai in on the right. Obita had a good game, though.

• I very much doubt that Gareth will change a winning team.

• @BlueBoy said:
    I notice Obita hasn’t got a single vote. I assume whoever voted out the ground was a sponsor who either knows nothing about football or was more interested in the free bar, or both.

Delighted for Obita to have got the goal but let’s be honest, he was largely anonymous before his move to left back and it looked to me that the change was coming from the bench prior to the goal.

With Hanlan on crutches it’s fair to assume we won’t see him again this season. Mehmeti’s still in a protective boot too so I would be amazed if he recovers for Burton. Therefore who do we play in that position next Saturday? Kaikai probably felt hard done by yesterday and I expect he will again.

I think we may stay as we are, they'll like the flexibility it offers and while Obita maybe didn't set the world alight against very solid opponents he did score the goal and offers cover for JJ and a decent cross. Wheels seems to be favoured off the bench with his versatility

• Kai Kai is needed as the creative option off the bench. Had we not taken the lead I fully expect he would have come on

• It's interesting how quickly things move in football isn't it?
    Not so long ago people thought Stewart was so good we would lose him to a championship club, and now a lot of people are not even considering him in our best combination!

That's showbiz!

• Tafa for me. Absolutely outstanding from him and Forino. Hats off to Gape though. He had Bannan's number all afternoon. That spine of four (including Scowen) were all fantastic.

• @Gary said:

@micra said:
    Thanks @floyd and @Mandown. I must have missed that flick on. Given that, arguably, it led to what could become the most vital goal of the season, that is a good enough reason. And thank goodness Horgan squared it! He has silenced most of his critics over the past few months but you wouldn’t have put much money on him scoring from the position he squared the ball to Obita.

Most, indeed. From behind the goal yesterday: “Horgan has been alright today. He’s still sh*t though”

Nobody would have blamed him for taking a shot but yes, thank goodness he didn’t!

Horgan would have scored had he shot.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Gary said:

@micra said:

He probably would have but Obita was clearly in a better position. Sometimes you have to go for goal (As Oxford fans will be all too aware) and sometimes you have to square it?

• @Gary said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Gary said:

@micra said:

He probably would have but Obita was clearly in a better position. Sometimes you have to go for goal (As Oxford fans will be all too aware) and sometimes you have to square it?

Totally agree and why the comment ‘thank goodness he didn’t’ isn’t needed. Horgan showed composure in that moment to create the best opportunity. He would have scored had he shot though.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Gary said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Gary said:

@micra said:

Totally agree and why the comment ‘thank goodness he didn’t’ isn’t needed. Horgan showed composure in that moment to create the best opportunity. He would have scored had he shot though.

Fair point. I’m delighted for him anyway, he’s come in for plenty of stick this season.

• One of the best defensive performances by our centre backs Taf & Foreno I have had the good fortune to see and agree with the earlier comment Taf first half/ Chris Second.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I very much doubt that Gareth will change a winning team.

Dom Gape has been brilliant since coming in, but I'd have Lewis Wing straight back into the 11 next week.

• @Brownie said:

@glasshalffull said:

Dom Gape has been brilliant since coming in, but I'd have Lewis Wing straight back into the 11 next week.

A tough call indeed.
    But I think Gape has done enough for a new deal, especially if we do stay down.

• @Malone said:

@Brownie said:

@glasshalffull said:

A tough call indeed.

I'm fairly sure Gapey will have been appreciated by the defence yesterday if not all our fans. Has done great after such an absence and sometimes just getting a boot in is the first job, the clearance and forward play are nice but you don't get them without the tackle happening. Apparently Bannan was going to rip us apart yesterday.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@Brownie said:

@glasshalffull said:

A tough call indeed.

I'm fairly sure Gapey will have been appreciated by the defence yesterday if not all our fans. Has done great after such an absence and sometimes just getting a boot in is the first job, the clearance and forward play are nice but you don't get them without the tackle happening. Apparently Bannan was going to rip us apart yesterday.

Probably a perfect combo to have him and Scowen in for this game.
    But perhaps against Burton, when we'll have to take it to them a lot more, Wing will be better?

Although it's probably not a great look bringing a guy who has just had a 3match ban straight in I suppose.

• No-brainer to bring Wing back in