Skip to content

What if?

Reading the gasroom regarding the BBC sounds "Trillion dollar conman" podcast I couldn't resist and had a listen. I am only at the beginning of episode 4 so no spoilers please.
It did get me thinking though.
What if WWFC had a takeover offer of multi millions, from a reputable investment group/consortium/family. By the way, I doubt there are many left on the planet that a certain amount of digging wouldn't unearth some skeletons/dubious connections.
As fans, what would you like to see as changes, for example replace GA/Dobbo, make a few stellar signings, change the ground location, probably further north out of town?
I for one would definitely want to keep GA & Dobbo exactly where they are. Think they would retain the general ethos/foundation of our identity & keep our feet on the ground as it were. Probably relocate the ground so that it has more than one access point. Just see a gentle transition of playing staff.
Any other suggestions welcome.

Comments

• A U.S. tour stopping in Denver every year. I don't ask for much!

• Sign Alfie Mawson

• I would genuinely hate for it to happen. I want to see sustainable, organic growth and not have the future of my club dependent on the whim of one individual.

• I’m firmly rooted in the status quo.

• @micra said:
    I’m firmly rooted in the status quo.

Even if someone came along with loads of money and said you could have whatever you want?

• unlike to happen unless we get to, and stay, in the championship for at least 4 years

• Some things money can't buy @ReturnToSenda. We now have a better squad, sound system, wifi, floodlights, big screen and even hot water in the FA Loos not to mention fireworks! However, I for one, feel more like a customer than a supporter/fan. It may just be an age thing due to fading adaptability or the removal of our 'Blitz' mentality of recent years but I'm sure money can'y buy it back.

• The plan was always for the owners to come in, do us up then sell on from a better position wasn't it?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@micra said:

Even if someone came along with loads of money and said you could have whatever you want?

Like Mel Morris, you mean?

• edited March 2022

My joke went right over everyone's head didn't it

• @micra said:

Whatever You Want as long as we don't go Down Down

• @ReturnToSenda said:

True but also proves my point about age in that I'm even missing the jokes now!!

@mooneyman is right on it though.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I did get the joke, @ReturnToSenda, guess my attempt at humor didn't come across too well either.

• I think I used up all my laughter on the goalpost incident at Goodison last night

• I think a bigger stadium near the M40; big car park, loads of varied catering at every game; give Gaz the money to start signing bigger players; restart an academy…that’s a start

• @micra said:

The worldwide phenomenon has us rocking all over the world

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    ...I for one, feel more like a customer than a supporter/fan...

That's very much how I feel also now.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    I think a bigger stadium near the M40; big car park, loads of varied catering at every game; give Gaz the money to start signing bigger players; restart an academy…that’s a start

Just go and watch Reading if that's what you're looking for. Sounds dreadful

• I think that may be what is needed to sustain Championship football?

• I am comfortable in the certainty that when the chickens come home to roost and the dust settles we will be one of the last clubs standing (amongst the mixed metaphors)

• My first visit since early this morning. Pity I didn’t have the Quo in mind. Might have ‘got’ the quips.

I’m happy with things as they are. Promotion would be good but entertaining, goal-scoring football is the priority.
    My viewing is all virtual now. If I didn’t think it would thoroughly confuse mrs micra (and would probably be an unwelcome legacy), I might be tempted by Sky Glass.

• League Two is going to be tough in a couple of years when AFC Derby, AFC Reading and AFC Bristol City are all fighting for promotion. As long as we can stay above that bloodbath of a division, I will be happy.

• I do love our stadium, I think its great, but i also wish it was more in the town center just for ease of access, it would be great to be able to just jump on the bus, have a few beers In town before and after, then jump on the bus home again.

• Aah, those were the days @HolmerBlue. Used to park my mini in that little’lane’ next to the gasworks.

• The access and exit constraints are one thing for keen fans, it's that casual market we miss out on.

If you're trying to tell a floating voter that they have to pay £25 or so, pre book parking/arrive early/take ages to get out, or walk from a mile in, it's probably a tough sell.

• Spot on @Malone. Add in a resurgent Covid variant, big cost of living increases, a sense that there are more important things to spend money on etc and you wonder how most clubs seem still able to attract as many fans as they do.

• How I overlooked streaming I’ve no idea. Haven’t seen any stats but that must be a significant factor and I’m guessing it would disproportionately affect midweek attendances.

• So we all agree we should move the stadium, ideally closer to town. How about Handy Cross?

• I'm not sure moving Handy Cross closer to town is the best idea

• @Forest_Blue said:
    So we all agree we should move the stadium, ideally closer to town. How about Handy Cross?

Then the ski lift concept up Marlow Hill really comes into its own.