Skip to content

Favorite random Wycombe goals

13»

Comments

• John Cornforth in the 98/99 B&B Trophy final with a glorious late free-kick to equalise for essentially our youth team plus John Cornforth versus Maidenhead United at Chesham.

• Dave Carroll - Merthyr at home - Conference.

• For randomness, one I've mentioned on here before - Simon Garner's goal at Adams Park against Huddersfield when everyone stopped playing expecting the ref to blow for a foul, except for Garner who casually strolled the ball into the area and rolled it past the keeper.

• Also forgot Nick Freeman's velvety volley that he caressed into the top corner almost in slow motion at home against Notts County 17/18.

• Marcello Trotta's debut goal against MK (away). Loved that little period where we had him on loan

• John Kerr completing the comeback from 3-0 down at home to Kiddy in 1989 just after Creaser's sending off

• @Onlooker said:
    John Kerr completing the comeback from 3-0 down at home to Kiddy in 1989 just after Creaser's sending off

I was hoping someone would mention it before I had to….

• I'd forgotten that John Kerr goal. Think West got the other 2 goals, as we scored 3 in the final 15 or so minutes to rescue a point. One of the last great Loakes Park moments!

• @bookertease said:

And our centre forward (whose name escapes me) who scored the only goal of the game in a match we were widely expected to lose at Darlington. Again I was in with the opposition fans, but only because we had got talking in the pub(s) before the game. (They were gracious enough even after the defeat to buy me a beer)

Back when we were in the Conference? If so I am pretty sure that would have been Martin Lambert.

• That’s the guy. Thanks @Kadoogan. I could remember is started with an L and can picture him in my head. Think he was slightly underwhelming for us but I remember that goal quite fondly (albeit hazily).

• And that John Kerr header. Remember that really well. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that clip before though.

• Paul Birdseye, beat two or three defenders before scoring with a great shot against Cheltenham in the FA Cup in 1974 (2 rounds before Middlesbrough).

• @bookertease said:
    That’s the guy. Thanks @Kadoogan. I could remember is started with an L and can picture him in my head. Think he was slightly underwhelming for us but I remember that goal quite fondly (albeit hazily).

I wasn't there sadly. A most unexpected win! We signed Lambert from Brighton I believe, but yes, he didn't do that great. Looked useful occasionally but not often enough. I do remember a home game where he got subbed after a particularly ineffective display, and he was walking along the side of the pitch towards the tunnel and after getting a few jeers from the gasworks end, made an offensive gesture towards them, which only increased the abuse!

I'm sure in the highlights video for the first season at Adams Park he was shown kicking off a match, so he did hang around at least until then. Think he must have been let go around that time though.

• Martin Lambert also scored the only goal against eventual champions Barnet, at Loakes Park. When he put his mind to it, he was an effective centre forward.

• I had to find that Lambert goal against Barnet, at 12:55.

John Kerr's diving header against Kiddy.

• Has anyone else commented on the spelling error in the thread title? ;)

• Dave Carroll’s goal v Kettering Town (H) W5-1 in November 1990 will always live in the memory.

Other notable mentions:
    Mark Rogers v Grimsby Town (A) FAC3 rep - January 2001
    Keith Ryan v Oxford United (H) - February 2001
    Paul Hayes v Exeter City (H) - April 2015

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Has anyone else commented on the spelling error in the thread title? ;)

Haha, go easy - I actually always try and use U.K. spelling with Brits and U.S. with Americans. I definitely have some slip ups!

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Haha, go easy - I actually always try and use U.K. spelling with Brits and U.S. with Americans. I definitely have some slip ups!

Only kidding! I could care less...

• Those Loakes Park clips really bring back the memories of that ground. We've had great times in the Adams Park era, but there will always be something special about going to see games at Loakes Park.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Only kidding! I could care less...

I see what you did there! It's totally awesome, dude.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    John Kerr's diving header against Kiddy.

I forgot to add the goal time, 11:24.

• Richard Harris away at Oldham 2002

• Sean Devine hat-trick vs Reading (5-3?)