Skip to content

Favorite random Wycombe goals

Comments

• Andy Kerr V Kidderminster at Loakes Park in front of a packed Gasworks End. His elaborate bow became quite an iconic image for a couple if years.

Speaking of Andy Kerr reminded me that he once scored a sort of reverse bicycle kick. Volleying into the top corner with a back heel over his own head. Never seen another goal like it!

A Dannie Bulman 30 yard volley to relegate Bristol Rovers in 2001 stands out. Partly because it was a stunning goal, but mainly for the hassle it caused the Wycombe fans afterwards. "You boys better get straight on the coaches, there's gonna be trouble" a steward helpfully told us. Great advice, accept we'd driven and parked a fair distance away. That was a particularly tense walk back as I recall!

• @Wycombe85 said:

A Dannie Bulman 30 yard volley to relegate Bristol Rovers in 2001 stands out. Partly because it was a stunning goal, but mainly for the hassle it caused the Wycombe fans afterwards. "You boys better get straight on the coaches, there's gonna be trouble" a steward helpfully told us. Great advice, accept we'd driven and parked a fair distance away. That was a particularly tense walk back as I recall!

I remember the stewards/police spent most of the first half removing Swindon and Bristol City fans from the away end.

• Jonny Dixon scored a great goal at Crewe on a Tuesday night didn’t he?

• Sam Saunders’ long range effort against Barnet was enjoyable.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Sam Saunders’ long range effort against Barnet was enjoyable.

Free kick from 35 -40 yards.

• Dannie Bulman’s first goal for Wycombe against Bristol Rovers. Scored with his backside, like Voakes today.

• Some good shouts above (Kerr vs Kiddy, Guppy vs Runcorn, McSporran straight after half time KO).

A couple of personal favourites - Simon Garners goal at Oxford to put us two up first season (I think) in what is now league 1. I was in with Oxford supporters (couldn’t get a ticket for the Wycombe end) but couldn’t restrain myself from jumping up and down.

And our centre forward (whose name escapes me) who scored the only goal of the game in a match we were widely expected to lose at Darlington. Again I was in with the opposition fans, but only because we had got talking in the pub(s) before the game. (They were gracious enough even after the defeat to buy me a beer)

But favourite ever goal is Mark West’s at Altrincham in the FA Trophy semi final

• edited March 2022

Didn't Stonebridge score an incredible volley in some awful cup back in the 00s?

And sorry @micra , the free kick was in the FA Cup. Barnet was a half way line lob

• Steve Brown's 35 yard (possibly volley) away at Doncaster many years ago in a howling gale.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Didn't Stonebridge score an incredible volley in some awful cup back in the 00s?

The JPT against Exeter in 06/07 I think. The only home game I missed that season.

• Phillips one sunny afternoon at Adams Park, from distance into the top corner (I forget the opponent). I was stood in the terrace behind the goal where the ball went in- such a great feeling to watch the ball glide into the top corner!

• edited March 2022

...also Mooney's debut goal v Carlisle in 2005. Edit: Just seen someone else mentioned it earlier.

• I always hark back to the goal Jason Cousins scored and it lodged in the stanchion, A younger me was the guy leaning over the hoarding directly behind the goal post and I watched it all the way in. Doncaster? Scunthorpe? Maybe I’m struggling to remember although I’ve been out tonight and beer was involved. By the way

• Mooneys goal v Swindon was a thing of beauty, only because the Robins fans had been singing "Mooney, Mooney what's the score" for a while before!

• @YorkshireBlue said:
    Phillips one sunny afternoon at Adams Park, from distance into the top corner (I forget the opponent). I was stood in the terrace behind the goal where the ball went in- such a great feeling to watch the ball glide into the top corner!

Think this may have been Bristol Rovers

• @prufrock_91 said:

And sorry @micra , the free kick was in the FA Cup. Barnet was a half way line lob

Yes, of course. Against Leatherhead. Away end. A real swerver.

• Matt Lawrence, long range daisy cutter on a sandy Macclesfield pitch, the great survival year.

• edited March 2022

There was a Gascoine-esque Paul Hayes goal against Stevenage that will stick with me for a long time.

I seem to recall that in the same game we did a 3 man free kick routine that none of them actually kicked and then scored in the ensuing confusion.

• @tom_doust said:
    There was a Gascoine-esque Paul Hayes goal against Stevenage that will stick with me for a long time.

I seem to recall that in the same game we did a 3 man free kick routine that none of them actually kicked and then scored in the ensuing confusion.

Of course I'm referring to Paul Gazza rather than our illustrious leader :-)

• Mawson at Luton

• Slightly off piste but I can’t recall where or when I read something about 19 outfield players having scored for us this season or was it the number of our goals scored from outside the box (or even both)? Wouldn’t have thought many more than 19 have played this season. Nnnn nineteen.

• @micra said:
    Slightly off piste but I can’t recall where or when I read something about 19 outfield players having scored for us this season or was it the number of our goals scored from outside the box (or even both)? Wouldn’t have thought many more than 19 have played this season. Nnnn nineteen.

• edited March 2022

McCarthy, Scowen and Young the only realistic scorers left (and Gape if he comes back)

• Plus there’s the B&B so Dave Wates still has a shout.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Mawson at Luton

Big shout

• Gaz header away at Bury in 10/11 when we needed a win to stay in the promotion hunt

• I remember playing a five a side tournament as a kid in Marlow. Andy Kerr had a stall up selling sportswear. Our manager (Mark West) bought some shorts. Orange juice and sandwiches, before any idea if bistros

• Sam Wood away at Morecambe (2014?) doesn't get talked about enough!

• That game also featured another goal of the season contender I think, JJ’s free kick from 40 yards out.

• edited March 2022

McCarthy's free-kick at Shrewsbury during that awful winless run in 2018/19