Skip to content

Loan watch

Comments

• It suggests that Scowen is doubtful. Young is raw. Christie is at least match fit. Let’s see. Exciting

• I too have high hopes for Christie Ward.

• It’s not exciting for me if Scowen is injured. He’s integral. He went off injured on Saturday at 1-1 with minutes to go. I can’t remember Josh ever being subbed when drawing in a critical game for tactical reasons. Gutting.

• Yes think we’re on fairly safe ground assuming Scowen and McCleary won’t make it given neither were moving very well when they were taken off. But fingers crossed, you never know.

So we probably need to add two players to Saturday’s squad…and Saturday’s bench already had a strong development squad feel about it with Young, De Barr, Wakely and Pattenden all on the team sheet.

So we are really stretched which makes recalling Ward a sensible decision. Not sure who the other sub will be though. We could recall Leathers or Matshazi I guess or there’s Makoli, Woodhouse or Skura, but that’s pretty much it.

• Matshazi may be back, I'm not sure. Think his loan was supposed to run until March 3rd.

• There is no like for like for Josh, not in our squad and not in our league. Wheeler going into the middle would be fine, Freeman fine but lacking the defensive edge.

As for GMac at least we have Freeman, TJ and Hanlan.

I’d be thrilled to see the name Tafazoli on the team sheet. We are bare bones in defence and need quality and options back.

• Thanks.

• Luca Woodhouse signs for Slough for the third time this season. He’s the Slough Jason McCarthy.

• His first game on Saturday lunchtime, versus leaders Ebbsfleet, is being shown live on BT Sport. The first time they’ve broadcast a live match from National League South.

May tune in to see how he does, as we could use a decent young left back as back-up next season and will be interesting to see if he’s ready.

• Could be a decent watch, especially if Sido is starting for Ebbsfleet. Probably a 50-50 on that.

• D’Mani Mellor subjected to racial abuse as Rochdale drop out of the league.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/april/clubstatement_dmanimellor_230422/

• Reading the detail it sounds like he was getting abuse, smiling at it and then some even bigger goon saw the smile, took it as being about the relegation, and it sent him to racial abuse. Pretty poor stuff.

• Just grim. I do wonder the merit of sending a kid straight out of academy football and that pampered existence into a nailed on relegation. There's always an argument in wanting players to toughen up by playing real football but this must have been a nightmare for him from the get go and this is the rotten cherry on a stinking shit pile of a loan. 17 appearances and no goals has hardly pushed him to the front of our attacking options either.

• When you hear you're signing a player from a team like United, you have certain expectations.

But he never looked anything beyond development squad level from day 1, yet had been signed as a squad player.

To then get sent to the bottom of league 2 must have been another big shock for him, and you wonder what the next move is.

Could easily drift out of the pro game entirely.

• I assume he was on a one year deal. I certainly can’t see him staying. He looked so far off when he played. It’s another indictment of the academy system IMHO that he joins at 8 gets spat out in his early 20’s and would struggle to make a National League team.

• Yep, one year, and he's 100% gone, not even a doubt.

On the other side of the coin we have Young, who was a 3 year deal. Year 1 he's barely got onto the bench, let alone made an impact.

I can't think of another 3 year deal we've handed out to someone who wouldn't be an immediate game changer.

• Come on @Malone, Manchester United are a club, not a team. But you’re absolutely right, of course. We do tend to have expectations about youngsters from Premier League clubs which are rarely met.

And a three year contract for a player who doesn’t appear to have played in more than two or three games since controlling the midfield in a Berks and Bucks match early this season (Jack Young) does seem extraordinary.

Apart from Mawson and Strjyek (spelling?) I cannot think of any signings since last summer who have made a major impact.

Let’s hope MB will pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat over the next few months.

• edited April 2023

Luke Bolton was another "Premiere League" loanee that disappointed and look where he is now. Salford have hardly been pulling up trees in L2.

Jamal Blackman at least went on loan from Chelsea to Sheffield United (I think) and won promotion before his career kind of bumbled along.

Any "top flight" loanees that Gasroomers can think of that have gone on to "bigger things" rather than the opposite direction?

• Eze seems to be doing OK for himself.

• It was hard to assess Mellor as he did not really get any game time. You really have to impress in ten minute cameos.

• I wouldn’t play Chem Campbell in the last couple of games, a couple of good goals but ‘soft’ for a player who has played in the Prem. Seems to lack physical development and stamina as well. Give our young fringe players game time experience instead.

• edited April 2023

Agreed, when results don’t matter let’s give valuable opportunities to our own youngsters rather than a loanee.

• Surprised Josh Knight is where he is.

Ofoborh went to big club.

Nico Yennaris did pretty well after leaving us I think.

Surprise Marcello Trotta didn't go onto bigger things.

Best one of all.....Gareth Ainsworth!!

I remember deals of the past being ageing/ex Premiership footballers. Gary Ablett, Steve Clarridge, Guy Whittingham etc. That doesn't really happen anymore!

• I really want to see Christie Ward these last couple of games, after all the build up. Could he be the next development hit?

• I have images when i hear the name Christie Ward, of him being interviewed in a Pringle or Slazenger Cardigan and pristine slacks and Christie breaking out into an Irish folk song.

• Premier, son, not Premiere. I see you do this frequently and as a graduate from @micra's school of pedantry I've finally cracked and had to mention it.

At least you don't say Premiership, which it hasn't been for yonks.

• Thanks for saving me from derision, young man. I’ve tended to lay off lately!