Skip to content

Rising aggression at football

13»

Comments

• Sniffer dogs have been used at football for years?

• I agree @Wendoverman but what does that say about any opposition if the standards are that low!!!

• Well, You could add in running down police numbers, the legal system and NHS support services too, and potentially but who's counting.
    I don't think the correct people have learned from or dealt with the shambles that was the Euros final, at one of our supposedly best, newest stadiums with the world watching and years to prepare.

• @peterparrotface said:

Sniffer dogs have been used at football for years?

Peterparrotface.
    I have only ever encountered sniffer dogs at Olympics and airports. But I have only ever been to premier league grounds when Wycombe have been playing. Chelsea, ManCity Villa etc. Not a sniff.

• @Fit2drop said:

@peterparrotface said:

Sniffer dogs have been used at football for years?

Peterparrotface.
    I have only ever encountered sniffer dogs at Olympics and airports. But I have only ever been to premier league grounds when Wycombe have been playing. Chelsea, ManCity Villa etc. Not a sniff.

There were dogs at Ipswich

• The sniffer dogs would refuse to go in the Adams Park toilets!

• I think the Wembley debacle was created purely and simply because the fans knew there were 20000 empty seats at the stadium.

Had it not been for Covid, the stadium would have sold out. Whilst you would have had some fans trying to get tickets off touts etc, etc you wouldn't have had so many fans rushing the gates, if any.

It was so obvious this would happen with that many spare seats that the FA and Police should be help a bit more accountable.

However, what I would say is that I would have expected the same result no matter where the Final was played if the home nation had got to the final and there were 20k spare seats in the stadium.

• If you look around the net, "jibbing" as in jumping in behind, seems to be a thing.
    I suspect it wasn't just limited to Wembley, although the 20,000 seats empty for such a huge game certainly will have increased it.

Some grounds don't have security on the actual gates, which seems a huge flaw to me. Wembley seems to be one of the easier to target grounds for such behaviour.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I agree @Wendoverman but what does that say about any opposition if the standards are that low!!!

It is certainly true that we have not been best served by our public servants for some time. The day Dave thought rather than laugh it off he would spike Beery Nigel's guns for good by trusting the great British public, we were doomed! :smile:

• @Commoner if that's the sort of behaviour we can expect from the average 18-35 year old when they hear of empty seats, I hope they don't find out we generally have a couple of thousand free most games.

'Come on lads, drink up and sniff this...Wycombe have Burton this weekend!'

• @Fit2drop said:
    Peterparrotface.

This reminded me that I got offered both crack and smack outside White Hart Lane when we played there.

• I suspect this says something about my appearance.

• @drcongo said:

@Fit2drop said:
    Peterparrotface.

This reminded me that I got offered both crack and smack outside White Hart Lane when we played there.

Obviously the claim from some that I look like an angry old undercover copper put paid to that for me!

• edited January 2022

Talking of fighting at football. I listened to a podcast yesterday with ex-pro footballer Paddy Lacey who player for Accrington back about 8 years ago.

Here

You may not wish to listen to the whole interview but an interesting part of it (if you skip to around 7 minutes 40 ) is when he he was on the bench for Barrow in an FA Cup game with Atherstone. The upshot being Atherstone were 4-0 down at half time and a group of their supporters invaded the Barrow end and were dishing it out to anyone on two legs. There were numerous custodial sentences handed out

Anyone recall this at the time? I have to say it passed me by. I was more shocked by the number of people who got sent down for what seemed like a really lower league encounter.

Got to admit the only time I've seen a full blown punch up between opposition supporters was at Beaconsfield v Brackley Town, it was pretty brutal. Not a steward in sight.

• 17m40 not 7m

• @drcongo said:

@Fit2drop said:
    Peterparrotface.

Brings back memories of being on a work trip to Holland, and walking down the road my colleague was asked "coka?", and instead of just ignoring, like everyone else did he queried "cock, or coke?".

• @OxfordBlue said:
    17m40 not 7m

Apologies

• @drcongo said:
    I suspect this says something about my appearance.

You think that’s bad? I got offered a 50/50 scarf.