Skip to content

Rising aggression at football

I have noticed that the aggressive element is rising at Wycombe Wanderers.
Very noticeable at the Sunderland and Oxford games, but also evident at several games both home and away since the lifting of the lockdown restrictions on fans attending live football.
Fans waiting for opposition to bait and taunt, a big shock to me was the age range of the aggressor's mid teens to 50+.
I wont pretend I know why, or how to resolve, but the youtube clip may be a way forward.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/60056492
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04clpd7h0b

«13

Comments

  • Ecstasy and acid house killed hooliganism before. Let's bring them both back.

  • edited January 23

    Cocaine use at footy is off the fucking scale and people aren't even subtle about it

  • I’ve just never understood the appeal of snorting something that’s very likely been smuggled in up someone’s arse and has likely been cut with talcum powder or worse

  • edited January 23

    @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    I’ve just never understood the appeal of snorting something that’s very likely been smuggled in up someone’s arse and has likely been cut with talcum powder or worse

    Same. But then I've never understood swilling copious amounts of foul tasting drinks that intoxicate you, cost loads, and swell your belly either.

  • @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    I’ve just never understood the appeal of snorting something that’s very likely been smuggled in up someone’s arse and has likely been cut with talcum powder or worse

    Talcum powder, cat litter, all sorts. And it was probably a very bloody process to get it out of its country of origin in the first place.

  • And when I say 'at the footy', I mean more in the pubs beforehand, but you do tend to see some remnants in the stadium toilets.

  • This is a ridiculous exaggeration

  • @ReturnToSenda said:
    And when I say 'at the footy', I mean more in the pubs beforehand, but you do tend to see some remnants in the stadium toilets.

    Say what you like about the state of the toilets in AP but they don’t encourage breathing anything in deeply

  • When did you start watching football @Fit2drop

  • This is the kind of ridiculous post that fuels Daily Mail types

  • I don’t remember seeing any cocaine remnants in the family stand toilets

  • But I do think a few a Wycombe fans are off their face at away games, think Charlton for example.

  • @Forest_Blue said:
    I don’t remember seeing any cocaine remnants in the family stand toilets

    Tbf I don't remember seeing any at Wycombe (in Wycombe is another matter, but that's just a UK thing...)

  • @Malone said:

    @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    I’ve just never understood the appeal of snorting something that’s very likely been smuggled in up someone’s arse and has likely been cut with talcum powder or worse

    Same. But then I've never understood swilling copious amounts of foul tasting drinks that intoxicate you, cost loads, and swell your belly either.

    Same... but I always do

  • @Fit2drop where was this aggression v Sunderland? Post match in the Vere it was blokes in brown cardigans supping Christmas ale

  • @LX1 said:
    When did you start watching football @Fit2drop

    1st Wycombe game 1968 v Bromley.

  • @peterparrotface said:
    @Fit2drop where was this aggression v Sunderland? Post match in the Vere it was blokes in brown cardigans supping Christmas ale

    Just outside the main gates, walking down Hillbottom Road.

  • @Fit2drop fair play. I mean no disrespect. There was the

  • Usual kids v Oxford, and some unpleasantness. Imho we are lucky to have a great club of fans

  • Cocaine is far more widespread now than it was when things were just booze fuelled so hardly a surprise that we might have a few pre-match snorters and it increases aggression. As I posted the other day Millwall CEO pointed out booing the knee, general abuse amd aggression and obvious signs of drug taking in the ground is starting to put off families going to The Den again.

  • @LX1 said:
    @Fit2drop fair play. I mean no disrespect. There was the

    Well perhaps a little, no?

  • @Fit2drop said:

    @peterparrotface said:
    @Fit2drop where was this aggression v Sunderland? Post match in the Vere it was blokes in brown cardigans supping Christmas ale

    Just outside the main gates, walking down Hillbottom Road.

    Ah right, not good

  • Sorry to the Millwall supporter about the upsetting post above.

  • @ReturnToSenda said:
    Cocaine use at footy is off the fucking scale and people aren't even subtle about it

    I'd love to know where I might view this scale. Intrigued to know how it might be calibrated.

  • edited January 24

    Playing and competing against bigger clubs, who no longer see us as a friendly small club that they will take guaranteed points off, but a genuine league rival. Bigger clubs like Sunderland have larger more established away groups = more aggression.

    Coke use is pretty common, but it always has been from my viewpoint. It's less socially unacceptable to a lot of people now so people are less worried about getting caught.

  • @LordMandeville said:

    @ReturnToSenda said:
    Cocaine use at footy is off the fucking scale and people aren't even subtle about it

    I'd love to know where I might view this scale. Intrigued to know how it might be calibrated.

  • I'm of the generation where getting hold of weed was a (sometimes dangerous ) sweat never mind the marching powder and now you cannot walk down the street without smelling it on someone but yes, I still am quite surprised how commonplace coke use is across the board. As we sit on the brink of WW3, people claiming incompetents are 'doing a good job' and people are still marching against life saving medicine, it is easy to feel completely out of step with that modern life. Wankers threatening to ruin the football again just one more nail in the coffin!

  • Nothing has ever made me feel older and more out of touch than this latest revelation about Cocaine use at football.

    I genuinely had no idea. Would it enhance the experience?

    (In certain years gone by I could imagine Heroin to dull the senses may have helped…)

  • It's arguably more of an England fan problem than a club fan problem, but it exists on some level pretty much everywhere

  • edited January 24

    @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's arguably more of an England fan problem than a club fan problem, but it exists on some level pretty much everywhere

    Would say you're right, it's the same people at both... Those that follow England tend to be either a) the hardcore football fans or b) richer football fans, which both have a higher % of cocaine use than average, so the problem is concentrated at England games. Also it's a bigger occasion so more casual users are likely to get involved, the toilets at Wembley for the later rounds were comical.

Sign In or Register to comment.