Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• I'm not entirely comfortable when our media team start giving it the wind up stuff.
    Like when we beat Sunderland and started giving it all the "Our house" stuff.
    It didn't seem too clever when we got utterly battered at their place did it :)

However, most of what they do is funny, and I've personally no problems at all with the way our players go about most things.

• @bookertease said:
    I wonder whether our reputation now actually helps us in some away games. The home crowd expect it and over-react to the first inklings of anything resembling timewasting, which then feeds into any players expectation of us being 'time wasting bastards' (if we are winning) and they then tend to worry more about our "antics" than the actual game of football.

Problem is the atmosphere before half time last night was quite intimidating - my wife said to me she was not enjoying being at the game - I also think the ref was unduly influenced by the almost toxic nature of the Bolton fans. Don’t get me wrong I love banter between supporters but I would have been uncomfortable leaving the ground had half time been full time

• edited January 2022

@floyd said:

@HCblue said:

@Username said:
    When teams or managers are obviously rattled by it, why wouldn't an experienced Pro notice that and carry on doing exactly the same thing.... Or even step it up.

Because there other considerations including, but by no means limited to, self respect.

We’re third in L1. That’s pretty respectable.

What profits it a man, something something, lose his soul?

• edited January 2022

No self respect in doing whatever it takes to not annoy your opposition, that's being a flannel

No self respect in losing without doing whatever you can to win

• Does anyone still use a flannel

• @LX1 said:
    Does anyone still use a flannel

I’m being asked why I am spontaneously laughing out loud to myself. This post is the reason...

• Stealing 10 yards at a throw in. That could be considered a foul throw under the laws of the game as you have to take the throw at the point where the ball exited the field. The ref could give the throw to the opposing team but I don’t think that’s given as a foul throw often, if ever? Refs just give both teams a few yards of leeway on throws, probably because it doesn’t offer much advantage or make much difference to the outcome of the match

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I think we should know our place, respect bigger, richer clubs, however ruinously they've been run, and like Rochdale, try to play pretty football, fail and get relegated but the big boys will like us and pat us on the head and say how nice and plucky we are on their internet forums. Which is what matters, right?

Absolutely spot on. It’s called professional football and you do what you can to win as long as it’s within the laws of the game. We’re not Corinthian Casuals playing in the Isthmian League and criticism of our ‘antics’ is almost always borne out of bitterness because we’ve beaten the opposition. I admit that we sometimes take it to the extreme, but the referee has the option to issue yellow cards and add time on so I don’t understand why opposition fans get so wound up. We have a reputation now and we will never lose it even if we played like 1970s Brazil!

• @glasshalffull said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I think we should know our place, respect bigger, richer clubs, however ruinously they've been run, and like Rochdale, try to play pretty football, fail and get relegated but the big boys will like us and pat us on the head and say how nice and plucky we are on their internet forums. Which is what matters, right?

Absolutely spot on. It’s called professional football and you do what you can to win as long as it’s within the laws of the game. We’re not Corinthian Casuals playing in the Isthmian League and criticism of our ‘antics’ is almost always borne out of bitterness because we’ve beaten the opposition. I admit that we sometimes take it to the extreme, but the referee has the option to issue yellow cards and add time on so I don’t understand why opposition fans get so wound up. We have a reputation now and we will never lose it even if we played like 1970s Brazil!

If said behaviour were within the laws, how would the referee have the option to issue yellow cards?

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:

If said behaviour were within the laws, how would the referee have the option to issue yellow cards?

Anything that doesn't receive a straight red card and a ban is within the laws of the game IMO. You're allowed to deliberately foul and "take a yellow", it's part of the game, if it wasn't then it would result in immediate ejection from the field

• @glasshalffull said:

Generally agree with this but I am spewing when other teams do it. That's the nature of being a football fan, we are inherently fickle

• @LX1 said:
    Does anyone still use a flannel

I use a face flannel for all parts of the body apart from my face. As Gasroomers know, I do flannel too much on occasion.

• Yeah, I definitely understand why oppo fans get so wound up. We've all been them!

• I remember walking away from Stevenage's ground some seasons ago when they were managed by Westley and genuinely saying "I wouldn't want to have to watch that every week"

• Anyone notice anything very strange at the match against Sunderland?

• @micra said:
    Anyone notice anything very strange at the match against Sunderland?

Dev was spotted in the FA eating a £8 burger!

• @eric_plant said:
    I remember walking away from Stevenage's ground some seasons ago when they were managed by Westley and genuinely saying "I wouldn't want to have to watch that every week"

They were much worse than us. I remember them scoring an early goal at AP years ago and the following 85 minutes was a 'masterclass'.

• @Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:
    I remember walking away from Stevenage's ground some seasons ago when they were managed by Westley and genuinely saying "I wouldn't want to have to watch that every week"

They were much worse than us. I remember them scoring an early goal at AP years ago and the following 85 minutes was a 'masterclass'.

I remember that home game. 85 minutes of making sure the ball was not in play. We're nowhere near that bad...

• @HCblue said:

Because there is no law that specifically mentions time wasting, it would come under the heading of unsporting behaviour and would therefore be at the discretion of the referee.

• It's game management not time wasting, so perfectly within the rules.
    Do people get upset because Man City/Liverpool keep possession and don't let the opposition have a kick of the ball for several minutes at a time?

• edited January 2022

This has been done to death really, but you do see that keeping possession of the ball whilst the ball is in play is not the same as taking ages over a goal kick don't you?

• Frankly, @eric_plant, no. It's part of game management.
    If the referee thinks we are taking too long, he has the power to issue a yellow card and add on additional minutes.
    Why should WWFC play the game at a faster tempo just to benefit the opposition at our expense?

• Can we just say that opinions differ on the distinction between game management and time-wasting both within and without the Wycombe Wanderers fanbase and leave it at that?

• Out of interest, @eric_plant, do you also condemn teams that don't use the multi-ball system, teams where it's not the nearest player that takes a free-kick/throw-in, teams where players don't sprint to a re-start?

They are all guilty of delaying when the ball is returned back into play ...

• To be fair I've noticed a lot of sides that try and "play out from the back", position their two centre halfs right near the goalkeeper who is ready to take the kick, opposition presses up and they stare at each other for 10-15 seconds before pushing up and going long anyway. That wastes the same if not more time than it does Stockdale trotting to pick up the ball to be honest and seems to be an effective time wasting method that isn't currently punished.

• @Twizz said:
    Out of interest, @eric_plant, do you also condemn teams that don't use the multi-ball system, teams where it's not the nearest player that takes a free-kick/throw-in, teams where players don't sprint to a re-start?

They are all guilty of delaying when the ball is returned back into play ...

Don't think I've ever thought about it to be honest

• edited January 2022

I'm hoping we win at a canter on Saturday 1 minute extra time first half, two minutes for our three goal celebrations and a bit of keeping the ball in the corner in the second.

• I find it incredibly sad that a lot of our support are quite happy to watch us time waste, and openly support it and revel in it on here... takes all sorts.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I find it incredibly sad that a lot of our support are quite happy to watch us time waste, and openly support it and revel in it on here... takes all sorts.

I find it sad that some Gasroomers think Bayo should never pull on our shirt again, only post when we lose because they knew we would, and write 'This is dogshit' after 25 minutes of the first half of almost every game. But it happens. Best not to dwell on it.