Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• My worst thing is when the crowd don't throw the ball back. Makes us look so small time

The seeming endorsement this receives from certain players is particularly cringeworthy

• I don't think there's a set of fans who wouldn't do that. Ipswich's were doing it the other night - and it doesn't last long as another ball just gets chucked on. No big deal.

• Agree to disagree, I despise it

• Ipswich were worse than our fans for this

• @username123 said:
    Ipswich were worse than our fans for this

Don't think it's a shades of grey thing. I'm with @eric_plant - it's all bad.

• I agree with @eric_plant on these things being wrong no matter who does them. I just think a lot of fan bases pretend their team is somehow different.

• edited January 2022

I hate to break this to people, but football has never been the unblemished virtuous utopia they seem to think it once was. Shithousery has always existed, always will.

• That may well be the case @ReturnToSenda but I pay to watch the game not players faking injury or some twat in the crowd holding onto the ball...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I hate to break this to people, but football has never been the unblemished virtuous utopia they seem to think it once was. Shithousery has always existed, always will.

Yep, same old argument. "It's always happened"...."everyone does it"

You could say that about lots of things, I don't see how it's relevant to whether you like them or not

• edited January 2022

Fair enough, each to their own. I accept that it's part of the game and quite enjoy it when we're doing it to good effect. As for the chucking the ball around the stand, I probably wouldn't partake in it myself, but I'm not arsed about it.

• I don't like it, but other teams are just as bad. I admit we seem to moan about our own side doing it more than other forums do.

• Perhaps there's more moaning on this forum (about some of our time wasting antics) compared to others because we're one of the worst offenders?
    Unfortunately it's very hard to shake off a bad reputation and although there are are some who take the line that 'everyone does it' and others that go for the rather pathetic 'no one likes us, we don't care', I think most supporters, although obviously wanting us to win, would still like some entertainment too. I think the booing earlier in the season when the ball was taken to the corner flag rather than crossed for a goal scoring chance tells it's own story.

• Credit to the referee for adding on an extra 3-4 mins to the allotted injury time. The ball was barely in play during the first 5 courtesy of our time wasting.

I don’t blame the players. They’re professionals and their career depends on results, so I can see why they seek any advantage possible. It is really up to officials to enforce the rules.

I’ve long believed the game should be two 30 min halves and played on a stop clock.

• There needs to be a true desire for change before change can happen. There are so many little niggly things that could simply be designated as automatic yellows. Keepers could be on a very short leash for kick offs too.

• All professional teams do time waste, feign injuries and ‘manage the game’ across all divisions, but we do take it to the extreme at times. It is absolutely certainly worse than it was in the past though, and the game is a poorer spectacle for it. I am only 41 so I am not harking back to some bygone era, this aspect of the game has deteriorated markedly in the last 20 years and is now completely endemic. It will not be eradicated unless the sports governing bodies do something radical about it. I wish they would, but do not expect it. In saying that though, this season the refereeing has made quite a change to allow a more physical game which has made the game immeasurably better to watch - by last season the game was pretty simply a succession of player touches, player falls over, player gets a free kick - it was really damaging the game so I hope that continues.

Back to our particular ‘antics’. Last season when the opposition were so strong, we needed all we could to even the field so the gamesmanship was totally understandable, as it was for many years previously when we punched above our weight. But this season we have a strong team and personally I think the gamesmanship is not needed as much. There have been many games where we were comfortably superior to the opposition yet still cranked up these tactics when we could easily have scored another goal. It frustrates me personally, and sends the wrong message to the opponents. Hopefully this evolves on the next couple of years if we are to be a regular side in the top half of League 1. And before anyone is too defensive, I don’t think or expect any team to just stop managing the game entirely, it just wouldn’t work, and I wouldn’t advocate it. I’d just like to see us dial it down a bit. An example would be Grimmer’s head injury yesterday, there was obviously no contact at all and that was a complete ruse, quite embarrassing.

• Oh, faking need injuries needs to stop - like, now. Only a matter of time before the ref assumes a serious one to be fake - we don't want a repeat of what we saw with Blooms v Lincoln in 2019.

• I don’t think I’ve ever watched a game of football where players haven’t feigned injury in the hope of getting an opponent a card or tried to take a throw in further up the line or time wasted when it suits them or dived in to get a penalty , never and frankly those opposition fans that accuse us of being alone in doing it are talking absolute garbage, it’s something to hang their disappointment of losing to us on and usually it’s from fans of clubs who because they have a lot of arses on seats believe they shouldn’t be in this division

• I am also not so sure that a team could not compete without game management. For the sake of argument, if an owner paid out bonuses to his manager and team to play the game in the right spirit, I don't think that team would get clobbered every game. If a team was honest, never surrounded the ref and played in that elusive "Corinthian spirit", refs would actually be predisposed in their favour, owing to the lack of shenanigans.

I know the above would never happen, but the idea that it would somehow be impossible to win without cheating, time-wasting and rolling around in the floor is not something I believe. To the point @Quarterman makes, there are games we might have won 4-0 instead of 2-1 had we focused more on adding goals and less on "managing the game out".

• As much as I agree with all the comments about our gamesmanship/shithousery being over played and mostly embarrassing and depressing, I will qualify that with the observation that when we did it to Derek Adams Plymouth it was almost made all the preceding several hundred games worth of us doing it worth it.

• I know every team does it, but we do seem to do it more than most, and as much as I love everything about our team and club... that is the one thing I'd change, I hate it.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I don’t think I’ve ever watched a game of football where players haven’t feigned injury in the hope of getting an opponent a card or tried to take a throw in further up the line or time wasted when it suits them or dived in to get a penalty , never and frankly those opposition fans that accuse us of being alone in doing it are talking absolute garbage, it’s something to hang their disappointment of losing to us on and usually it’s from fans of clubs who because they have a lot of arses on seats believe they shouldn’t be in this division

I totally agree with this post. Quote from Charlton fan on Facebook: ‘Wycombe were time wasters but nowhere near as bad as Plymouth.’

Quote from West Brom manager after their draw with Cardiff yesterday: ‘Cardiff didn’t want to play football, just waste time.’ There are countless other examples that prove these tactics are rife throughout the game. That doesn’t mean that I like or condone it, just that we are not alone in using gamesmanship as a means to an end.
    Ipswich took the ball into the corner at the end when they beat us recently and their fans cheered, we did it in the example given above and unbelievably some fans booed. The opposition can’t score from their own half but they can if a cross is cleared and leads to a breakaway. Have we forgotten the Southend play off final?
    MorrisItal is right to say that complaining about Wycombe’s time wasting is usually from entitled fans of bigger clubs who can’t understand why they have lost to ‘little Wycombe.’ Spot on.

• It doesn't mean you like it or condone it but you have never once condemned it

• I don't like it, that said, I can understand taking time over set pieces etc. It's the feigning injury that really irritates. Just no need for it and as the ref will always add the extra minutes I don't see that teams gain any real advantage from it.

As for us being the worst offenders, I'm really not convinced that's the case. Portsmouth put on a 90 minute 'game management' masterclass at AP earlier this season, but seem to escape the reputation we have. I assume this is due to them being one of the bigger clubs in the division. Also, we win many more matches that we lose and therefore get the opportunity to display our gamemanship more often. Agree that we sometimes employ it more often than we need. Understandable when we're hanging on, but frustrating when we're the dominant team. We've nearly come a cropper several times this season, by switching to game management mode late on.

• I appreciate game management is part of the game in our days but I really don’t like it.

• @eric_plant said:
    It doesn't mean you like it or condone it but you have never once condemned it

I refer you to the answer I gave to the same point you made only yesterday.

• If you're not doing everything in your power to win the game, you're not trying your hardest. I love that our players will do anything and everything for the 3 points, and I love it when the opposition fans get wound up about it, especially when they get themselves in a rage at 0-0 simply because of our reputation when we've done nothing in that game, only for us then to score and actually shithouse the last 10.

• @Username said:
    If you're not doing everything in your power to win the game, you're not trying your hardest. I love that our players will do anything and everything for the 3 points, and I love it when the opposition fans get wound up about it, especially when they get themselves in a rage at 0-0 simply because of our reputation when we've done nothing in that game, only for us then to score and actually shithouse the last 10.

Amen

• Just read three separate Facebook posts that accused Bolton, Cheltenham and Gillingham of being time wasters so we have plenty of company! It’s just another tired cliche used by fans of teams who’ve lost.

• Apart from pretend to be injured?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Just read three separate Facebook posts that accused Bolton, Cheltenham and Gillingham of being time wasters so we have plenty of company! It’s just another tired cliche used by fans of teams who’ve lost.

I’ve heard it plenty of times from fans of teams who have beaten Wycombe as well, in fairness.