Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I've had a look on their forum, and they are being quite fair actually ! Saying we did a job on them and are moaning at their team for not dealing with it.... rather than us doing it

Just so. https://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/26524/charlton-wycombe-match-thread-reaction

• Finally halfway through our season, and I think we'd all have taken 4th and in touch with autos at this stage!

• edited January 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Finally halfway through our season, and I think we'd all have taken 4th and in touch with autos at this stage!

Oh, Ipswich was the halfway point. In any case, we're performing in line with expectation!

• edited January 2022

@HolmerBlue said:
    I've had a look on their forum, and they are being quite fair actually ! Saying we did a job on them and are moaning at their team for not dealing with it.... rather than us doing it

The first forum that came up on Google? I had a read through that one and their fans were indeed rather fair (in between turning on their owner and each other). The second forum, however, made for entertaining reading! That was full of Wycombe hate!

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/93236/post-match-thread-charlton-athletic-vs-wycombe-wanderers-saturday-1st-jan-2022

• Two Forums? More than even Ancient Rome

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Two Forums? More than even Ancient Rome

Post of the Day?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Two Forums? More than even Ancient Rome

After a few years of reading opposition forums I’m reminded of the old carry on line

Infamy Infamy, they’ve all got it in for me

• edited January 2022

@Gary said:

@HolmerBlue said:

The first forum that came up on Google? I had a read through that one and their fans were indeed rather fair (in between turning on their owner and each other). The second forum, however, made for entertaining reading! That was full of Wycombe hate!

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/93236/post-match-thread-charlton-athletic-vs-wycombe-wanderers-saturday-1st-jan-2022

Thanks for sharing the other site.

Honestly, I'm finding the general tone there to be similar to that of the first site I went to. The criticisms you've shared, though not unrepresentative, were much further from universal than their wish to have better attacking options in their squad.

An alternative selection:

"Not a very enjoyable game to start the new year, the cheating, diving and play acting was off the charts today by both teams, ref didn’t have a clue and got sucked in every time. Games like that make me wish for the old days when it was a man’s game, not a bunch of wet wipes playing, pathetic really, pissed me right off."

"Wycombe are a good side relegated from the Championship last year. We kept their front three relatively quiet, except for their one chance where Gilbey and Purrington switched off and a moment of quality from McCleary was the difference. "

"Can’t believe how down some people get. Was at the game - Two sides cancelled each other out for most of the game, a draw would have been a fair result. WW were organised and defended well, Leko threatened to unlock them with his unpredictability. "

"Wycombe defended better so deserved the win. As we know we are still quite a way off from the days when clubs like Wycombe don’t do the double over us."

"Wasn’t great was it? There was something about the overall afternoon that just didn’t feel right. General feel of malaise in the players (both sides), the fans not really seeming that up for it, and a ref who didn’t seem that bothered to knock a few heads together even when confronted with clear time wasting. You know that feeling in the week after Xmas where you lose track and feeling of what day it is and the routine you should have? That game seemed to be tinged with a bit of that."

"I really hate losing to teams that shithouse as much as they did, but I can also appreciate what a fantastic game that Gareth McCleary had. I love watching Dobson / Gilbey / Lee in our midfield, but that fella was head and shoulders above everything on the pitch. Love to see his mileage and pass stats from today. He’s 35 in a few months, cracking player."

"You don’t see this level of time wasting in the Premier League or even the Championship (I think?), but so many games in League One go this way when a team goes a goal up away from home. I know we do it as well, but I’d still be happy for refs to be instructed to stamp it out."

"We are spirited, a million miles from where we were under Adkins. They are all trying, arguably sometimes too hard (Famewo can over do the dribbling, Dobbie can over do the forward chasing), but this team is more like what we should have been witnessing all season. Clearly short of a striker and could do with an alternative option to Lee, just to take the weight of expectation off his shoulders. He is a League One/lower end Championship player, we have let our hopes run away with themselves - it ain’t his fault…"

• Picking up on the main theme from these comments, I often wonder why the ref is still in charge of timekeeping with all the other things he has to do. The fourth official spends most of his time sitting on his butt, why not give him the stopwatch?

• Chris Forino. 4 professional performances. We’ve put a lot of faith in him and he’s delivering

• fair play to your fans yesterday unbelievable from start to finish and 3 poinjts to enjoy the journey home!

• Another ref tricked by us for 90 minutes? Do you think every manager who loses puts 'Gave them everything. Gave us nothing. Fell for all their tricks' in their referee's report.

• Our goal yesterday was absolutely brilliant wasn't it?

• Lovely New Year's Day in our nation's capital.

• @FootballFanScene said:

fair play to your fans yesterday unbelievable from start to finish and 3 poinjts to enjoy the journey home!

Thanks for sharing your video.

• @CarParkPete said:
    Picking up on the main theme from these comments, I often wonder why the ref is still in charge of timekeeping with all the other things he has to do. The fourth official spends most of his time sitting on his butt, why not give him the stopwatch?

I agree. It happens in a number of other sports and works well. But it always seems to me that however much time is wasted just about double is added on so is it even worthwhile?

• So tired of other fans pretended we are the only team who time waste with a lead. Absolutely absurd.

• @Shev said:
    So tired of other fans pretended we are the only team who time waste with a lead. Absolutely absurd.

Well said, and to read the usual tired, old cliches you would think that there are 23 teams in League 1 who play like Manchester City at their best and just one who cheat, foul and waste time.

• They are just bad losers and yet another so called ‘’ big club’ who think they should have a right to beat us and that we should just roll over.
    Wake up and smell the coffee Charlton as you are a bottom half team in this league.

• In fairness, it must be a real shock to Charlton fans.
    In the premier league not so long ago, and now getting turned over by the likes of us :)

• Much of these last few comments reads as arguing against strawmen. Not much said on either of the Charlton forums suggests any kind of delusion as to their true position in the football world nor anything like a uniform sense that, but for a referee capable of interpreting the game in its proper Corinthian spirit, Charlton would have won handsomely yesterday.

• Charlton have had more yellow cards than any other team in League 1 this season while only two teams have had fewer cards than Wycombe.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Shev said:
    So tired of other fans pretended we are the only team who time waste with a lead. Absolutely absurd.

Well said, and to read the usual tired, old cliches you would think that there are 23 teams in League 1 who play like Manchester City at their best and just one who cheat, foul and waste time.

Your only defence ever of time-wasting is that all clubs do it, not a defence of the act itself

• @HCblue said:
    Much of these last few comments reads as arguing against strawmen. Not much said on either of the Charlton forums suggests any kind of delusion as to their true position in the football world nor anything like a uniform sense that, but for a referee capable of interpreting the game in its proper Corinthian spirit, Charlton would have won handsomely yesterday.

Most Charlton fans seem all too aware it's been a long time since their Prem days and that much in-between has been dreadful.

• Good to see @oilysailor at Charlton

Looking miserable in the queue for the tea bar haha

• In fact was our League Cup victory there his last away game ?

• @eric_plant said:

Your only defence ever of time-wasting is that all clubs do it, not a defence of the act itself

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make. There’s nothing I can do or say to rid football of gamesmanship so I neither defend nor condemn time wasting. It is up to referees to deal with blatant examples and on the whole that is exactly what they do by issuing cards and adding time on at the end of each half. It happened to us at Ipswich, it happened to Charlton yesterday.

• Yeah fair enough

Just think it's a bit of a cop out for people to fall back on "everyone does it". So what? If you don't like it, it doesn't matter who else does it. If you've no problem with it, say that as wel

I just think it's a shame. There are so many things to admire about these players and management team. The well-deserved reputation for time-wasting is not one of them

• I’m a ref on the Saturday and Sunday local youth leagues. Time wasting from any team, I just add time on. I’m sure all refs do the same. And if it goes up a notch…e.g kicking the ball away (delaying the restart) then it’s a yellow card, though to be fair not for a first offence. And giving a yellow card adds more time too.

Rule of thumb for added time each half - 30 seconds per sub; 30 seconds per card; variable amount of time for each injury where the trainer entered the field; plus variable amount of time added for time wasting.