Skip to content

Cambridge match OFF

Comments

• @Otter87 It’s quite sensible really - gives Non-League players the chance to go & watch a Premier League/EFL game on Boxing Day & also they play the following day so fans of Premier League/EFL clubs can watch their local sides.

Non-League clubs from Step 1 downwards try & schedule local derbies over the Christmas/New Year period. Not only does it cut the travelling over the holiday period but it produces bumper gates & bumper income for the clubs.

At whatever level you play at you have to schedule your games when the maximum number of people can attend (& pay)!

• @DevC said:

@Steve_Peart said:

For those out West, Oxford City v Slough Town (NL South). 1pm KO, Students/U18s free.

West??

West in the local to the Chair Metropolis sense!

• @bookertease said:
    Not sure we can draw any conclusions regarding club’s vaccination rates and infection rates at the moment.

I know half a dozen people (over 18) who have tested positive in the last week, all of whom were double vaccinated and at least two have had the booster. Common factor is that they all have school age children.

So we have no way of knowing (and in my opinion no right to know) whether non-vaccination in the Cambridge squad is remotely relevant (whilst noting that statistically it may be)

That’s a lot of people @bookertease. It would be interesting to know what sort of symptoms they have been experiencing and the duration and severity. If mild (or even negligible) that would be encouragingly optimistic (however anecdotally and unscientifically) in terms of how badly and for how long the impact on the the NHS, the economy etc is likely to be.

Totally agree with your last paragraph.

• Potentially - a lower hospitalisation rate is great but it is much more infectious so doesn't necessarily mean less burden on the NHS

• @Malone said:
    They took years to clamp down on Derby's scandalous financials. They're not suddenly going to magic a rule like this in. Especially as clubs would probably have to sign up.

On BBC Sports today in a piece relating to vaccination response by PFA

“ However, there has been an argument that unvaccinated players - unable to play because they are in a 10-day isolation period that would not apply if they had been jabbed - should not be counted as a Covid absentee when it comes to ruling on postponements.”

2 seasons ago they “magicked” up a rule that all clubs abided by - PPG. So not impossible to create a rule that says play, perhaps bcd, where possible. But if a game is postponed that might perhaps have been playable (I’m aware that vaccination does not fully prevent getting Covid but reduces the chance and the severity) then to avoid fixture congestion and potential subsequent burn out/injuries to players who have been responsible with their vaccinations then forfeits might be the way forward. Happened to Spurs already

• I meant to add that the reduction of the isolation period from 10 to 7 days is also an important positive in terms of the impact on staff levels across the economy.

• edited December 2021

@carrickblue said:

@Malone said:
    They took years to clamp down on Derby's scandalous financials. They're not suddenly going to magic a rule like this in. Especially as clubs would probably have to sign up.

2 seasons ago they “magicked” up a rule that all clubs abided by - PPG.

I thought we magicked up that rule...

• @micra said:
    I meant to add that the reduction of the isolation period from 10 to 7 days is also an important positive in terms of the impact on staff levels across the economy.

I'm pretty certain that the logic behind that decision is "We need to get more staff back to work quicker? What loophole can we exploit?". Rather than any scientific consensus that people stop being infectious any sooner.

• @FmG said:
    Potentially - a lower hospitalisation rate is great but it is much more infectious so doesn't necessarily mean less burden on the NHS

Half the hospitalisation rate but more than double the infection rate and this results in the same increase in hospitalisations in real terms and fewer staff to look after them as the self isolate.

It's like knowing the crash will happen and deciding to let it happen. One more step on the road of selling the NHS to the US private providers.

• Leeds and Liverpool are both 100% vaxxed and their game on Boxing Day is off

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Mrs Ital doesn’t allow alternatives so it’s a selection of cold meats and The Great Escape for me.

Same. Cold cuts and a family trip to the new Kingsman film for me apparently.

• @micra said:

@bookertease said:
    Not sure we can draw any conclusions regarding club’s vaccination rates and infection rates at the moment.

I know half a dozen people (over 18) who have tested positive in the last week, all of whom were double vaccinated and at least two have had the booster. Common factor is that they all have school age children.

So we have no way of knowing (and in my opinion no right to know) whether non-vaccination in the Cambridge squad is remotely relevant (whilst noting that statistically it may be)

That’s a lot of people @bookertease. It would be interesting to know what sort of symptoms they have been experiencing and the duration and severity. If mild (or even negligible) that would be encouragingly optimistic (however anecdotally and unscientifically) in terms of how badly and for how long the impact on the the NHS, the economy etc is likely to be.

Totally agree with your last paragraph.

Not sure it’s particularly representative as they are all 30 odd to 50 ish but of the ones I’ve chatted to (virtually) headaches are common. A couple said it feels just like a bit of a cold and a couple only tested because their kids tested positive. No one I know (or know of) has had particularly bad symptoms this time round. With Delta I know a couple - my sort of age - who were basically floored but I escaped with sneezing a bit.

• Thanks for that @bookertease. Maybe, as you say, not particularly representative but little snippets like that do help to reinforce the feeling in some quarters that omicron may have a slightly less catastrophic impact than some of us feared. Let’s carry on clutching at straws!

• edited December 2021

Problem is the spreadability (?). % in hospital may end up being quite a bit lower, but the absolute number could be as big if not bigger. Plus isn't Delta still going around?

• That’s the point @ReturnToSenda that I’ve been making to one or two (elderly) friends who refer to current advice as being an overreaction. Only time - the next 2-3 weeks - will tell. In the meantime, there is/are insufficient data for them to make such bold statements. Uncertainty rules and, for the rest of this year at least, my family are exercising great caution and testing virtually daily.

• edited December 2021
  • If that is true the EFL should be intervening and awarding us a 3-0 win. It does seem covid is being used as a convenient excuse in some cases to get games get called off.

Not buying that they have less than 13 players available and do other players actually have to self isolate?

• Charlton's Boing Day game is off due to cases in their squad. Doesn't bode well for New Year's Day...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Charlton's Boing Day game is off

I'm sure they'll bounce back.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    If that is true the EFL should be intervening and awarding us a 3-0 win. It does seem covid is being used as a convenient excuse in some cases to get games get called off.

Not buying that they have less than 13 players available and do other players actually have to self isolate?

Unvaccinated players have to self isolate if they come in to contact with a positive case. My guess is they have a large number of unvaccinated players.

If this continues with so many players being unvaccinated then the season is finished

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Charlton's Boing Day game is off due to cases in their squad. Doesn't bode well for New Year's Day...

Wait, is isolation only 7 days now?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Charlton's Boing Day game is off due to cases in their squad. Doesn't bode well for New Year's Day...

Wait, is isolation only 7 days now?

If you are unvaccinated the isolation is still 10 days and you can’t be tested on Day 6 and 7

• @wwfcblue said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    If that is true the EFL should be intervening and awarding us a 3-0 win. It does seem covid is being used as a convenient excuse in some cases to get games get called off.

Unvaccinated players have to self isolate if they come in to contact with a positive case. My guess is they have a large number of unvaccinated players.

If this continues with so many players being unvaccinated then the season is finished

Either that or they're waiting on the results of tests. But then if that was the case, I don't think they could have requested postponement yet?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

?

• @DJWYC14 said:

They need to have at least 14 players, including a goalkeeper, to fulfill the fixture otherwise they can ask EFL for a postponement.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

As long as their players are ready to spring into action

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

As long as their players are ready to spring into action

I’ve heard they are being fed Rhubarb.

• @wwfcblue said:

IF this is down to unvaccinated players having to isolate for 10 days, this postponement and others for the same reason, will cause fixture congestion - which leads to players being asked to do more than is reasonable in short spaces of time.

Goes back to my earlier post about if clubs are seeking postponement due to unvaccinated players they should forfeit the match so as not to “punish” those clubs and players where they are vaccinated.

• All a farce..if clubs couldn't field 14 players on another occasion they would have to forfeit the match.Clubs should do more to make sure their players are vaccinated or cut their money like in America,especially if the team are losing points etc if they can't play matches or lose points because of a weakened side