Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• You have to wonder how backward some clubs are if Ragnick bringing in a sports psychologist in 2021 is getting the kind of headlines I'm seeing. Maybe says more about the media actually.

• edited December 2021

@StrongestTeam said:
    You have to wonder how backward some clubs are if Ragnick bringing in a sports psychologist in 2021 is getting the kind of headlines I'm seeing. Maybe says more about the media actually.

No, United are (were?) pretty backward. Rangnick is really the first progressive managerial appointment they've made since Fergie.

• edited December 2021

Admittedly certain sections of the media are still living in the 90s with their outlook on football

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Admittedly certain sections of the media are still living in the 90s with their outlook on football

That's about 60 years further along than their politics though.

• GA may go somewhere eventually, but not in the middle of a successful, stable project where he is beloved and able to be upwardly mobile in L1 (at least) and develop talents like Mehmeti. I honestly think managing Wycombe must be tremendous fun right now.

• @eric_plant I just don’t see it, especially not from their perspective.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Plymouth have announced Schumacher in typically bitter Plymouth fashion - no separate tweet or article acknowledging Lowe's departure.

Won't be popular on here but I hope he does well, great opportunity for him.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    You have to wonder how backward some clubs are if Ragnick bringing in a sports psychologist in 2021 is getting the kind of headlines I'm seeing. Maybe says more about the media actually.

No, United are (were?) pretty backward. Rangnick is really the first progressive managerial appointment they've made since Fergie.

Totally agree about the need for clubs to get on board with all aspects of the game, including the mental side. IMHO the word 'progressive' though is such an overused term with little meaning. It is used so widely, from politics right down to the way a player plays a pass in football. It tends to imply that anyone not going down the same route is 'regressive' which only serves to alienate. It's not all so simple and not everything in '2021' is better than the past otherwise Gasroomers would have nothing to remenice or complain about.

• Don't let @micra catch you reminiscing like that...

• That’s dialobical. Missed it earlier.

• @micra said:
    That’s dialobical. Missed it earlier.

:smiley:

• Nothing wrong with being regressive. This country used to have a servicable natonal debt, publicly owned utilities, a day of the week which was reserved for fish and chips. Heady days before royal pizzaphilia was a thing.

• nice one @Ed_ I'd like to regress to a world of shared gate receipts, orange balls and members of the "Big Six" in the second division, whilst Midlands and East Anglian "minnows" compete for the biggest domestic and European titles.

• God do we need orange balls. The Leicester and City games the other week were barely watchable.

• the pitchside lightshow at AP isn't helping with visibility of the ball at AP either.

• edited December 2021

Were the LEDs brighter than normal on Tuesday? They hadn't really bothered me before, but I found them really distracting - especially those white Barlows ones which made it look like there were piles of snow around the edge of the pitch.

• Thank goodness Andy Rammell has retired. Could really damage himself jumping into one of those

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Were the LEDs brighter than normal on Tuesday? They hadn't really bothered me before, but I found them really distracting - especially those white Barlows ones which made it look like there were piles of snow around the edge of the pitch.

I was in the terrace for one of those Checkatrade games, and the boards were so scorching it genuinely affected me following the ball. Especially when it suddenly turned white or red with no notice. No idea how the players didn't react to it.

In the Frank Adams it doesn't feel as bad.

• Now THAT'S a football

• Can't they just remake the orange Tango?

• Absolutely wonderful to have a tech-savvy youngster cross the floor to the "everything was better in the past" camp

Welcome aboard young man

• @eric_plant said:
    Absolutely wonderful to have a tech-savvy youngster cross the floor to the "everything was better in the past" camp

Welcome aboard young man

Steady! I know full well that's not grass under the snow...

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:
    Absolutely wonderful to have a tech-savvy youngster cross the floor to the "everything was better in the past" camp

Welcome aboard young man

Steady! I know full well that's not grass under the snow...

Luton don't count.

• I can't name any of the Luton players in that photo, don't worry. I spy Ian Rush back right and Jan Molby in the centre?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I can't name any of the Luton players in that photo, don't worry. I spy Ian Rush back right and Jan Molby in the centre?

Wasn't there a David Baddiel joke complaining that is was like being given a seat with a restricted view every time Jan Molby was on the pitch?

• A bad Baddiel joke?

• Looks like Mal Donaghy on one knee

Ricky Hill giving chase to Paul Walsh?

• Luton player standing up on the right looks like Jim Broadbent

• ... he does indeed, but I think it's Peter Nicholas

• ...and Rob Johnson, blurred, furthest away