Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Didn't Ainsworth release Max Kretschmar?

• We had just reached an FA Cup semi final to be fair and were looking to mount an assault on promotion to the championship.

If you look at players that thrived under Sanchez it was very much the old school type of player who probably thrived upon a bit of confrontation which probably spurred them on. Players like Cousins, McCarthy, Brown, Ryan, Rammell

He was not really able to relate to younger players who perhaps needed a softer approach and, to put it in cliched terms, an arm around the shoulder. As Floyd says, Gaz and Dobbo are incredible at the psychology of management and I tend to agree that Stuart Roberts would have absolutely thrived under their stewardship.

I'd add Jonny Dixon to the list of players that never really fulfilled their early promise around this time. I've rarely been as excited about a young player breaking through as I was about him.

• Jonny Dixon has gone on to have a very interesting career outside of football

• He bombed out or fell out with most of the older players too

• To be fair to him it was a very odd time, FA Cup semi final was a wonderful achievement but we were also fighting just to stay up and we used loads of players that season due to injuries. A lot is said about attitudes and relationships but players need to reward managers for selecting them at times or them leaving becomes inevitable, and there's probably a good deal of luck being in the right place at the right time.

• Brian Parkin is indeed the guy.... terrible

• I've only just come online today, and started reading today's posts, and immediately thought of Johnny Dixon along with those other names and thought to myself I'll mention him.

Glad to see others thought the same as me and beat me to it

• I'll add another one..

Mo Harkin !!

• Everyone said Brian Parkin looked like Feargal Sharkey didn't They? Wasn't it in TAF?

• @peterparrotface said:
    Everyone said Brian Parkin looked like Feargal Sharkey didn't They? Wasn't it in TAF?

He did.

A good keeper those days were hard to find.

• @CindyIncidentally said:

@peterparrotface said:
    Everyone said Brian Parkin looked like Feargal Sharkey didn't They? Wasn't it in TAF?

He did.

@CindyIncidentally wins the internet for today!

• @CindyIncidentally said:

@peterparrotface said:

He did.

He always beat me at Subuteo (but he flicked the kick and I didn’t know).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Jonny Dixon has gone on to have a very interesting career outside of football

Always thought he had good valance...

• @eric_plant said:
    We had just reached an FA Cup semi final to be fair and were looking to mount an assault on promotion to the championship.

If you look at players that thrived under Sanchez it was very much the old school type of player who probably thrived upon a bit of confrontation which probably spurred them on. Players like Cousins, McCarthy, Brown, Ryan, Rammell

He was not really able to relate to younger players who perhaps needed a softer approach and, to put it in cliched terms, an arm around the shoulder. As Floyd says, Gaz and Dobbo are incredible at the psychology of management and I tend to agree that Stuart Roberts would have absolutely thrived under their stewardship.

I'd add Jonny Dixon to the list of players that never really fulfilled their early promise around this time. I've rarely been as excited about a young player breaking through as I was about him.

@eric_plant said:
    We had just reached an FA Cup semi final to be fair and were looking to mount an assault on promotion to the championship.

'thrived' is a great word but you used it twice which spoilt it for me. Otherwise great post

• @drcongo said:
    Didn't Ainsworth release Max Kretschmar?

in a Marlow bistro's toilets according to The Sun

• @LX1 said:

@eric_plant said:

@eric_plant said:

'thrived' is a great word but you used it twice which spoilt it for me. Otherwise great post

Three times actually, but who's counting?

• :smile: if you love the word 'thrived' so much why don't you marry it?

• @drcongo said:
    Didn't Ainsworth release Max Kretschmar?

I was told that his career at Wycombe was marred by a bout of glandular fever.

• In a Marlow bistro :wink:

• i've just discovered gasroom emojis :blush:

• Noel Ashford in the Isthmian League played way below his true level, as has already been mentioned. James Harper (Hull, previously Reading) was the most ineffective “loanee with alleged pedigree” I ever saw, and although Dean Morgan was a gobby ****, Borg and The Doc are better ‘shouts’ ?

• @LX1 where are the emojis I am sure my posts would thrive if I used them.

• Leon Knight was/is fairly gobby, especially on social media.

• edited November 2021

@OxfordBlue said:
    Leon Knight was/is fairly gobby, especially on social media.

Oh, he's an absolute knob. Homophobic... Misogynistic... Let go by Glentoran for the former.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@OxfordBlue said:

Oh, he's an absolute knob. Homophobic... Misogynistic... Let go by Glentoran for the former.

The most unpleasant player ever to wear the Quarters? Struggling to think of anyone worse.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@OxfordBlue said:

The most unpleasant player ever to wear the Quarters? Struggling to think of anyone worse.

Gavin Grant?

• That's an interesting debate.

Grant clearly delves deep into horrific criminal act territory so is a category of his own.
    But Knight was a horrible little fellow. His women shaming posts that saw him banned from twitter, and going after Jamie O Hara and players about their wives was horrible.

All with a smug "how you living?" arrogance that makes you wonder how much did he earn in his couple of years as a fringe player at Chelsea exactly"

• @Malone You mean to say Twitter actually took action for once?!

• Dean Morgan was/is a mouthy c#nt....

• @woodlands said:
    @LX1 where are the emojis I am sure my posts would thrive if I used them.

colon dash bracket. makes you feel 18 again