Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

12345679»

Comments

• @Wycombe85 said:
    The keeper was not only a magnificent shot stopper, but also had some serious time wasting skills. Could've been booked in the 1st half for taking an age over goal kicks, was eventually booked in the 2nd half and was perhaps lucky not to be sent off. Don't blame Portsmouth at all, but any complaints they have about us and our dark arts are rather laughable.

Very big game now on Tuesday!

Pompey had eight goal kicks before they scored. Each time they set up with the CBs inside the area, as though they wanted to play short - but each time they eventually (after 30 seconds?) 'changed their mind', sent everyone up to the half way line and played it long. The keeper did exactly the same thing on their first goal kick after they scored, and was booked for time wasting.

The 'wanting to play a short goal kick' has become a quite subtle way of time wasting. Some teams, Lincoln and Oxford come to mind, have a way of playing that maximises opportunities to play out from the back and clearly want to take short kicks. However, I don't recall Cowley's teams over the years doing so - perhaps give the benefit for the first two or three occasions but after that give them the hurry up. There was quite a lot of added time in each half and perhaps that reflected the time taken on goal kicks.

• Yes, the delayed short goal kick is a definite new time wasting tactic. I noticed a few Championship sides who did that against us last season.

Whilst ours is none to subtle, a few sides get away with much more extreme time wasting using this method. It's painful to see once you cotton on to it. Goalkeeper asks his defence to retreat for the short kick, waits, looks left, looks ahead, looks right. Then tells his defenders to move back up the pitch again. All this takes more time than any Stockdale slow trudge to collect the ball. The Pompey keeper was an absolute master of this on Saturday and was doing it from the start. He even had a little injury break from a non existent challenge when Wycombe had them on the rack in the early stages. Again, not a criticism as such, as I know we do it, but just an observation that we are certainly no worse than other more high profile teams in this respect.

• edited November 2021

The one which everyone does that annoys me is the opposing player walking away with the ball once a throw or free kick is signaled. It reduces the advantage of the awarded team, and I think should be an automatic booking (we do it too I know, just like everyone else). There are so many niggly things like that which could be legislated out of the game.

• @Shev said:
    The one which everyone does that annoys me is the opposing player walking away with the ball once a throw or free kick is signaled. It reduces the advantage of the awarded team, and I think should be an automatic booking (we do it too I know, just like everyone else). There are so many niggly things like that which could be legislated out of the game.

I've been banging the drum for this one for years. After the ball is called dead (maybe a second whistle by the match official) no defending player can touch the ball. No walking away, no flicking it up in the air and accidently not connecting with an attacking player, no mistakenly getting it caught under their feet, not pretending they thought it was their free kick and kicking it a couple of yards, NOTHING. You touch the ball and you are an attacking player the ball is going forward 5 yards minimum. Twice in a game and you are booked.

And as for the time wasting keep on saturday it was typical officialling. I'm telling you off, this time I'm REALLY telling you off, now I'm booking you, now I'm telling you off again, now I'm angrily telling you off whilst tapping my wrist. Its the same old bullsh1t

• edited November 2021

This is the thing, timewasting will persist in football while all of it remains legal.

It just takes a small amount of effort and common sense from the governing to stop most of it.

• @Shev said:

Agreed. There should be a simple rule. Once the whistle has gone and it's not your ball, leave it alone. If you don't, a booking.
    That'd cut it out almost immediately, or at least see a decent punishment.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Shev said:

I've been banging the drum for this one for years. After the ball is called dead (maybe a second whistle by the match official) no defending player can touch the ball. No walking away, no flicking it up in the air and accidently not connecting with an attacking player, no mistakenly getting it caught under their feet, not pretending they thought it was their free kick and kicking it a couple of yards, NOTHING. You touch the ball and you are an attacking player the ball is going forward 5 yards minimum. Twice in a game and you are booked.

And as for the time wasting keep on saturday it was typical officialling. I'm telling you off, this time I'm REALLY telling you off, now I'm booking you, now I'm telling you off again, now I'm angrily telling you off whilst tapping my wrist. Its the same old bullsh1t

In fact, exactly this :)

I'd also bring in some sort of firm rule on throw ins.

The ball went out in the corner last game, yet their man started, that's started his runnup about 10-15 yards up the pitch!

That one really gets my goat"

WHERE'S EEE TAKING IT FROM REFFFF

• @Malone said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Shev said:

In fact, exactly this :)

I'd also bring in some sort of firm rule on throw ins.

The ball went out in the corner last game, yet their man started, that's started his runnup about 10-15 yards up the pitch!

That one really gets my goat"

WHERE'S EEE TAKING IT FROM REFFFF

Let's face it the role of the assistant referee is now a bit of a joke. Rarely give a flag without a signal from the referee, they are just decor. So give them one job. Ball goes out they mark where the foot of the player must not EXCEED using a bit of magic spray. They go before that then they lose the throw. So simple. Although a couple of games ago we were penalised for taking it too far back!! What bullsh1t is that.

• Agreed on all of the above. I almost wonder if football pitches should have white circles marked down each side, and you have to stand on/within the nearest circle to take the throw.

• Let's face it the role of the assistant referee is now a bit of a joke. Rarely give a flag without a signal from the referee, they are just decor.

Now the ref and assistants are in radio comms do you not think the use of the flag is more to show players and spectators the decision after it has been decided rather than attract the referees attention to something the assistant has noticed?

Not sure how feasible having assistants mark the throw position as assistants only really cover one half of their side of the pitch. Could really slow the game down waiting for him/her to run half the length of the pitch to make the mark then get back in position to judge offside.

So maybe Shevs idea of marks on the side and ref calling the zone the throw must be taken in.

I've been banging the drum for this one for years. After the ball is called dead (maybe a second whistle by the match official) no defending player can touch ……………

I hope you haven’t been ‘banging the drum’ , hate to see you barred from AP

• I’ve noticed that many teams, ourselves included, boot the ball out the ground upon scoring.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I’ve noticed that many teams, ourselves included, boot the ball out the ground upon scoring.

This is then followed by a 4th official then staring into space for a few minutes before realising they are sat on a bench that has balls under it. Another waste of time they are.

• I don't know if our approach really factors in the inches, but I'm sure recently we seem to be taking a high percentage of throws with a foot over the line.

Maybe I've only just started noticing it.

• @Malone said:
    I don't know if our approach really factors in the inches, but I'm sure recently we seem to be taking a high percentage of throws with a foot over the line.

Maybe I've only just started noticing it.

Not sure I’ve ever seen Curtis Thompson take a throw in when he hasn’t stepped over the line and/or jumped in the air.

• As long as he has part of both feet on or behind the line when he throws he’s okay. He cuts it fine to be sure…looks like his heels are on the line from my view in the ground.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    As long as he has part of both feet on or behind the line when he throws he’s okay.

Don't know when they changed it but they did. Frankly the new rule is not logical. As we all know the touchline, like the deadball and goal line are in play. Thus to be a goal, all the ball has to cross all the line and similarly to be a throw-in all the ball has to cross all the line (although often the assistant referee gets it wrong).
    The logical way to take a throw-in should be with all of both feet behind all the line (as it used to be). I think they changed it because the assistant referee couldn't watch the player taking the throw-in and the rest of the pitch! Before we know it players will have both feet 6 inches over the line and it still won't be called a foul throw.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    As long as he has part of both feet on or behind the line when he throws he’s okay. He cuts it fine to be sure…looks like his heels are on the line from my view in the ground.

Thing is as he trys for the long throw his heels lift before releasing the ball

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    ...a couple asked “how can you watch that every week” and I replied that “I remember when they used to be an important club”.

I thought Portsmouth were by the far the most cynical team to come to AP this season, I have no idea how they watch that every week without being utterly embarrassed. The outright cheating to get McCarthy booked was disgraceful.

They found a way to win. We have done that for 5 seasons (plus)

I was pointing out the hypocrisy of the 'wouldn't want to watch that' brigade rather than making any claims regarding the purity of our football.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    As long as he has part of both feet on or behind the line when he throws he’s okay. He cuts it fine to be sure…looks like his heels are on the line from my view in the ground.

Thing is as he trys for the long throw his heels lift before releasing the ball

Agreed…and he was called for this against Portsmouth and stopped taking throws for a while after that. I watch this very closely at every home game as I think it’s a very close call.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub commented on a player being pulled up for taking a throw further back (rather than too far forward). I’d be interested to hear from @Forest_Blue whether he agrees that, by increasing the opportunity of getting the ball to a teammate in space by so doing, he is infringing the laws of the game. Clumsily put but I hope clear enough.

• @micra said:
    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub commented on a player being pulled up for taking a throw further back (rather than too far forward). I’d be interested to hear from @Forest_Blue whether he agrees that, by increasing the opportunity of getting the ball to a teammate in space by so doing, he is infringing the laws of the game. Clumsily put but I hope clear enough.

I was interested by that too. It certainly used to be the case that you could take a throw-in further back than where the ball went out, just not further forward. I always thought that represented an opportunity to retain possession more easily if you took it quickly and went back to your defenders / goalkeeper. Has that changed?

Whilst we're on the subject of throw-ins, I think they've been a bit of a weakness for us this year. We seem to conced chances from them far too easily, when you'd have thought that we'd have been more set. Been wondering if it's caused by the relative lack of height in our midfield.

• Nobody will ever out do Beano (sorry Beanie) his foul throws were comedy gold. If they’d produced a celebratory t-shirt I’d have paid good money for those .

• Bayo used to be the target for every throw in...never missed one...Vokes also gets on the end but I feel he does not have the power of the big lad so his nod ons often fall short of the nearest Blue.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Bayo used to be the target for every throw in...never missed one...Vokes also gets on the end but I feel he does not have the power of the big lad so his nod ons often fall short of the nearest Blue.

Not sure anyone in world football has the power of Bayo.

But make no bones about it, Vokes is a pretty big unit himself.

• @micra said:
    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub commented on a player being pulled up for taking a throw further back (rather than too far forward). I’d be interested to hear from @Forest_Blue whether he agrees that, by increasing the opportunity of getting the ball to a teammate in space by so doing, he is infringing the laws of the game. Clumsily put but I hope clear enough.

Taking the throw in the wrong place (either forward or back) is an offence under the laws of the game. Most refs will give a reasonable amount of leeway to keep the game going. The only sanction in the laws for taking it in the wrong place would be to award a foul throw and give the ball to the opposition, it’s not a cautionable offence. I’ve never seen a team take the throw too deep and I’ve only ever called players up for going too far forward. And I’ve given foul throws for it if they take the piss!