Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• A lack of cutting edge in front of goal will cost us

• Surely that Portsmouth "pen" incident was simply their man leaping over a Challenge rather than being fouled at all.

Whereas ours was Mehmeti being smashed down.

• Would have to see the stats on JJs pens but I'd certainly not noticed he goes central quite a lot.

He certainly doesn't go low Central like that very often!

• All very scrappy and bitty after a good start from Wycombe. Pompey going through the full range of dark arts in the 1st half. Makes me laugh to hear their fans talk about us being cheats!

Looked like a penalty to them, think we got away with that. Our one was as clear as they get, surprised their defender got away without a card for wiping out Mehmeti. Less said about JJ's attempt the better.

Mehmeti and Hanlan look a threat for us, need to get them on the ball as much as possible. I suspect a very tense 2nd half coming up...

• Fairly even. Could go either way. Both sides really digging in. Obita, Mehmeti and Hanlon playing some nice stuff. Thompson immense again...never gives up. Cowley knows to target JJ I think. Poor yellows for us but did anyone get booked for putting Mehmeti down?

• @Malone said:
    Surely that Portsmouth "pen" incident was simply their man leaping over a Challenge rather than being fouled at all.

He rarely goes corner - to one side maybe but still fairly central. Anyway, GK dives something like 80-90% of the time iirc, so it's not a bad place to go. We'll win this.

• Pompey coming for the draw 100%

• And they’re on the floor within seconds of the second half starting. Going to be about 40 minutes added on at the end of this.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    Surely that Portsmouth "pen" incident was simply their man leaping over a Challenge rather than being fouled at all.

He rarely goes corner - to one side maybe but still fairly central. Anyway, GK dives something like 80-90% of the time iirc, so it's not a bad place to go. We'll win this.

Oh no - you said it!

• That Curtis for Pompey is constantly at the officials stirring it.

• Few let offs there - fell asleep completely

• Is it this ref's first game with this whistle?

• Foul throw law either needs to be enforced consistently or, preferably, go.

• Better - some trademark finesse from McCarthy there though

• Pompey fans chanting at a ball boy. Classy

• Throw in rule is fine. It’s not difficult or complicated. Thompson just has a very odd (illegal) technique. Good thing to stop it though as we show zero threat from it.

• @Quarterman said:
    Throw in rule is fine. It’s not difficult or complicated. Thompson just has a very odd (illegal) technique. Good thing to stop it though as we show zero threat from it.

It's not complicated, just unnecessary imo as I don't think you gain any advantage from having a foot up. And you should be fine to have your feet touching the line rather than behind.

• Then again, you're generally at a disadvantage even from a legally taken throw-in.

• Haven't got Hanlan involved nearly enough this half

• @jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

Oh no - you said it!

Whoops

• GA way too slow on the subs for the second game in a row.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

Oh no - you said it!

Whoops

Can you please predict a run of defeats?

• Only a mile offside wasn't it

• Pathetic use of the subs, the goal has been coming since Jacobson kicked the corner straight out. Awful management

• I don’t think we’ve had a shot since I got here.

• The balls into the box today have been awful

• Not sure why we've carried on with 352. Has left our defence weak for the season, but we got away with it early on. Doesn't give us options in attack without McCleary

• I'm in line, he was a good 5 yards off. Lino massively out of position

• How Jason McCathy is playing right back over Grimmer never ceases to amaze me.