Skip to content

Spitting

Comments

• I saw U2 supported by Big Country on the October tour...very close call.

• Saw Radiohead opening for James, The Frank and Walters and Kingmaker a few time and annihilated them all each and every time.

• I always thought my footballing career would have gone a bit further if I’d been able to proficiently hock a loogie. I distinctly remember attempting it at school and just dribbling down the front of my shirt . Shortly after I went from the middle to one of the last picks before games

• First time I saw the Ramones. Cambridge Corn Exchange. 1978 I’d guess. Supported by the Rezillos. The Rezillos were absolutely brilliant and the Ramones didn’t quite come up to that level. Left early to catch the last train (which then didn’t run on a Saturday night). My mate still hasn’t forgiven me

• @Wendoverman said:
    I saw U2 supported by Big Country on the October tour...very close call.

I am reminded by my brother it was not the October tour (Comsat Angels and Wall of Voodoo) but the War tour that saw Mr Adamson's Rock Bagpipe stylings run U2 a very close second!

• Saw Van Halen wipe the floor with Black Sabbath

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    Saw Van Halen wipe the floor with Black Sabbath

That was my second proper gig, when I caught that tour at Southampton Gaumont.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Many years ago there was a series of concerts put on the Theatre Royal in Nottingham for a TV show called Rock at the Royal...and for some reason one of the nights I went there were two acts on...Martha and the Muffins and OMD. Odd but not weird I suppose.

I was there too that night! Filmed for TV, Squeeze we’re there another night too.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Many years ago there was a series of concerts put on the Theatre Royal in Nottingham for a TV show called Rock at the Royal...and for some reason one of the nights I went there were two acts on...Martha and the Muffins and OMD. Odd but not weird I suppose.

I was there too that night! Filmed for TV, Squeeze we’re there another night too.

Indeed I think Joe Jackson was on the same night as Squeeze. ATV must have had some money to splash before end of the tax year! ?

• Spitting by any sportsman is disgusting they are roll models and it encourages people to spit in the street which is an offence and its not necessary

• Yeah, but have you ever seen a support act completely outclass the headliner @Haytor06?

• edited November 2021

Footballers do all sorts of 'bad' things which could, theoretically, be re-enacted in the street. Not really anything you can do about it. And running about that much does naturally produce an unholy amount of phlegm - it's got to go somewhere...

• Spitting on the splendid Adams Park pitch is acceptable...spitting on other players and or fans spitting on visiting goalkeeper not so much. Support act outclasssing headliner is just showbiz...

• sportsman never used to spit. I have played a lot of sport and never spit. Anyone who spits is a pig

• I once had a game of squash with a bloke who was constantly blowing his nose on his hand. Didn't think much of it until the game was over and he wanted to shake hands...

• 70's footballers were prolific spitters. Stuart 'pancho' Pearson was one of the worst.

• @CarParkPete said:
    I once had a game of squash with a bloke who was constantly blowing his nose on his hand. Didn't think much of it until the game was over and he wanted to shake hands...

You both touch the ball right? And hit it with a racket and move all the stuff from the ball in to the air. Sounds so disgusting.

Quite glad I never warmed to squash

• I always thought the aim of squash, was to see who could wear the shortest,tightest,brightest white shorts ?
    The act of hitting a small semi deflated ball against the wall, was a sideshow.

• @ChasHarps said:
    70's footballers were prolific spitters. Stuart 'pancho' Pearson was one of the worst.

As that was 50 years ago I assume @Haytor06 is harking back to the days of bodyline, white horses and Fatty Foulkes and let's face it...none of us can contradict him. Or can we?

• Wendoverman I think you are going back to the bodyline, it is still disgusting and not necessary now or in the 70s.

• edited November 2021

@Haytor06 said:

sportsman never used to spit. I have played a lot of sport and never spit. Anyone who spits is a pig

Did any of your sports involve any vigorous movement out of interest?

• Yes they did and still do I play tennis and have marathons and half marathons and have played football, but did not spit. Have you played any sports or are you an armchair viewer

• Didn’t Lineker shit on the pitch once playing for England ( vs Republic of Ireland)? Admittedly he was suffering from the squits, but that has to be the most disgusting soiling of a football pitch ever, well apart from Franchise taking the field obviously.

• Some of the support bands I have seen, The Tourists, Joy Division, Hunters & Collectors, Nirvana and U2 all were far superior to the so called headline acts.

• Saw the Coventry Specials supporting The Clash…they were quite good

• edited November 2021

@Fit2drop said:
    Some of the support bands I have seen, The Tourists, Joy Division, Hunters & Collectors, Nirvana and U2 all were far superior to the so called headline acts.

Joy Division and Nirvana as SUPPORT ACTS? Consider me extremely jealous right now.

• @Haytor06 said:
    Yes they did and still do I play tennis and have marathons and half marathons and have played football, but did not spit. Have you played any sports or are you an armchair viewer

Not sure if you’re referring to a chocolate treat (sometimes only half a bar) or perhaps you omitted the word ‘run’ @Haytor06 . You’ve not read many of @Malone’s plentiful posts if you have to ask him if he’s an armchair viewer. An accomplished footballer a few years ago now, I think.

• Yes I did miss out the word run , it's still a dreadful habit, over and out, that's my last comment on the subject

• @Haytor06 said:
    Yes I did miss out the word run , it's still a dreadful habit, over and out, that's my last comment on the subject

Wise decision. Yes, I know, I don’t have to read any of it but if you don’t look you don’t find and the Gasroom is an endless source of wit, wisdom and erudition. I can’t imagine life without it.

• I apologise for joking about what is obviously a very serious issue.