Skip to content

Spitting

I watched the Daggers match last night. Their manager was prowling around his technical area gobbing regularly all over the place. I just don't understand this, it’s pretty disgusting to me anyway. I never felt the need to spit anywhere when I played football. You even see subs coming on that have yet to do anything have a good old gob as they run onto the pitch. And managers chewing gum and then throwing it anywhere, Ferguson and Warnock big offenders …someone has to pick this up!!
Am I being too over sensitive, not moved with the times…I don’t know really. But I don’t like it for sure.

Comments

• I've never felt the need to spit at any point.

Never got why people do. Do some people just produce more spit?

• It's certainly a habit, but yes, you do generate a lot of saliva when running around a lot.

• edited November 2021

Must admit I don't like it and surprised at how much they do it. The pitch must be covered in it and then they are all sliding and rolling around in it !

Don't even get my missus started on it, I can guarantee every game I watch on TV she will mention it.

• Bit disgusting from managers, but players don't really have much choice.

• What about players clearing their noses onto the pitch, since they can't keep a handkerchief up their sleeve? That's next level disgusting.

• edited November 2021

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    What about players clearing their noses onto the pitch, since they can't keep a handkerchief up their sleeve? That's next level disgusting.

Is it much more disgusting than blowing it on your shirt and running around with it covered in snot for the rest of the game?

• Talking of spitting, I was walking around the ground before the Ipswich game and over heard the new stadium manager/events manager (slim middle aged man in a suit) talking to the stewards....
    Apparently the away keepers have been getting gobbed on from the terrace when taking goal kicks/retrieving the ball..... nice

• From a very young age playing football I was concerned that if I spat on the pitch someone could slide along and put their hand in it. Pretty gross and I never changed my mind as I grew older. It must be one hell of a sight for groundsmen to look at the pitch after a game, must be riddled with the stuff.

• @bigred87 said:
    Talking of spitting, I was walking around the ground before the Ipswich game and over heard the new stadium manager/events manager (slim middle aged man in a suit) talking to the stewards....
    Apparently the away keepers have been getting gobbed on from the terrace when taking goal kicks/retrieving the ball..... nice

Has anyone actually seen this? Would be disgusting and well worthy of a long ban if not worse IF true

• Obviously some of you sensitive souls weren’t around when Punk was at its height. Was a horrible and bizarre habit then however and still is. Big difference from legitimate saliva clearing to deliberate gobbing though.

• edited November 2021

What really was disgusting was the bloke I saw doing it on the High Street in broad daylight last week. In this of all climates.

• @bookertease said:
    Obviously some of you sensitive souls weren’t around when Punk was at its height. Was a horrible and bizarre habit then however and still is. Big difference from legitimate saliva clearing to deliberate gobbing though.

My first gig was the pre-super stardom Police and The Cramps at Rushcliffe Leisure Centre and I can vouch for the 1970s spitting at gigs to be an abomination! Didnt the turns used to get hepatitis regularly?

• @MBS said:
    I watched the Daggers match last night. Their manager was prowling around his technical area gobbing regularly all over the place. I just don't understand this, it’s pretty disgusting to me anyway. I never felt the need to spit anywhere when I played football. You even see subs coming on that have yet to do anything have a good old gob as they run onto the pitch. And managers chewing gum and then throwing it anywhere, Ferguson and Warnock big offenders …someone has to pick this up!!
    Am I being too over sensitive, not moved with the times…I don’t know really. But I don’t like it for sure.

Was he Flemish

• Don’t, whatever you do, go on Chinese public transport!

It’s not just the spitting, it’s the thirty seconds of throat and nose clearing beforehand!

• Sat next to a fella on a flight from Delhi to Bangkok years ago who hocked for about six hours with no product.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@bigred87 said:
    Talking of spitting, I was walking around the ground before the Ipswich game and over heard the new stadium manager/events manager (slim middle aged man in a suit) talking to the stewards....

Has anyone actually seen this? Would be disgusting and well worthy of a long ban if not worse IF true

Quite. That's something quite different and should be an immediate ban from football grounds at the least and probably consideration of a police chat.

• Spitting at someone is quite the lowest of the low. Now that would be a disgrace if our fans are doing that!

• @Wendoverman said:

@bookertease said:
    Obviously some of you sensitive souls weren’t around when Punk was at its height. Was a horrible and bizarre habit then however and still is. Big difference from legitimate saliva clearing to deliberate gobbing though.

My first gig was the pre-super stardom Police and The Cramps at Rushcliffe Leisure Centre and I can vouch for the 1970s spitting at gigs to be an abomination! Didnt the turns used to get hepatitis regularly?

I was all ready to post some opinions on spitting until this, and now all I can think about is how the hell did The Cramps end up on the same bill as the Police? And also, which band were you there to see?

• The Police...just after their first Laker Air Bus tour of US who had just had a non-hit (first time around) with Roxanne...The Cramps were on the same label (A&M??) or Miles Copeland was managing them or something along with some bloke called (I think) Bobby Henry. Not in the same League as Hendrix on the same bill as Englebert, but a bizarre trio of acts to be sure. Cramps were very, very loud. Bryan Gregory flicking lighted fags at the front row, Lux Interior ended their turn shiny with phlegm. Police were very good incidentally...basically playing the songs that would make up the first TWO albums but even then a bit old to be spat at! All in all...a good night out for those days. I think it may even have been pre-Rock City so any act that turned up everybody went to see. Missed last bus had long walk home.

• I've had a photo pass for several Cramps gigs (I just called the tour manager and asked), including their Reading Festival appearance in around 1990 which was quite a spectacle - seem to remember Lux was mostly naked within about 2 songs and he threw up into the pit a couple of times, though thankfully not directly on me. Met Lux and Ivy when they played Leeds, both were absolutely charming.

• Sounds about right @drcongo I saw them years later at the International in Manchester and it was an event to be sure. I am less happy to have gobbed on Sting nowadays...but you had to be there. Though I loved the music, I stayed away from the front rows at subsequent concerts for the next couple of years!

• Wonder what the weirdest double-bill has ever been. Back in the mid/late 80s I saw Einsturzende Neubauten supported by Showaddywaddy, who after an initial hail of beer and bottles went down rather well.

Hendrix opened for The Monkees back in the day, I think.

• Many years ago there was a series of concerts put on the Theatre Royal in Nottingham for a TV show called Rock at the Royal...and for some reason one of the nights I went there were two acts on...Martha and the Muffins and OMD. Odd but not weird I suppose.

• Genesis were supported by Paul Young on the Invisible Touch tour.

• I saw Lily Allen supporting Muse at Wembley (I was 17, I've long outgrown that ridiculous band).

• @Baldric said:
    Genesis were supported by Paul Young on the Invisible Touch tour.

Truly gruesome double act that must of been !!

• Muse really are terrible.

• Has anyone ever seen a support act completely overshadow the headliner? Beck absolutely wiped the floor with the Strokes when I saw them a few years back.

• Once saw The Prodigy completely dominate the Reading Festival before giving the stage over to a lacklustre Artic Monkeys headline set.

Can’t think of a gig where the support act has been better than the headliner but have been very impressed with some support acts such as Reverend and the Makers, early Maroon Five, KT Tunstall, Tom McCrae and Girls Aloud

• Sultans of Ping FC, by pretty much every band I've seen them support.