Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton (EFL Trophy)

1235»

Comments

• Relax people - "we win or we learn" remember... That's the point of a development squad. They will become better players for the experience.

• @A_Worboys said:
    By the way, fair play to the roughly 40 Brewers fans who turned up for a “dead rubber”.

Thanks for that. More than I expected.

• Just saw the highlights, wow there were some real give away goals among those 5. The fourth one where we tried to pass along the back line was really poor. However, for 70 minutes the youngsters stood toe to toe with a far more experienced Burton side.
    They will learn but my worry is that without regular games that they will always look like a patched together team.

• Holloway left under a bit of a cloud (still don’t understand that running off the pitch at the end of the Villa game) but it’s nice to see he and the club have made things up, although awarding him the freedom of the valley end penalty box does seem somewhat over generous.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Just saw the highlights, wow there were some real give away goals among those 5. The fourth one where we tried to pass along the back line was really poor. However, for 70 minutes the youngsters stood toe to toe with a far more experienced Burton side.
    They will learn but my worry is that without regular games that they will always look like a patched together team.

Is the point of the development squad to be a team though? For me it's about individual player development and if we get three first teamers for 10 development players it works out ok.

Last night for me showed that whilst a sprinkling of first team experience is around to guide and glue together the others we do ok. As soon as that balance is more towards the development squad experienced sides take advantage.

It's also worth noting the pressure to perform for these players. Taking a chance means a possible career and some will step up and some not on a specific night. Again that is why you ideally need some experience on the pitch to help.

• No disrespect to any individual player last night as I didn’t see the game but I’ve seen most of these lads before and it once again highlights one thing. The elite academy system does not create ready made players. These lads could not walk into a national league side let alone a league 1 side. They all have their qualities for sure but there’s a hell of a lot to do, and these are the best we found. I fear that the academy system releases them too late, they should have been getting experiences like last night a long time ago.

• I was impressed with Leathers last night, looked to have some real quality when on the ball. Something to work with for sure.

• Perhaps not in a B team but Wakely or Forino alongside experience in Taffs or Stewart is the aim surely?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    No disrespect to any individual player last night as I didn’t see the game but ... .... it once again highlights one thing. The elite academy system does not create ready made players.

I thought that the players we have had been picked up because they fell out of the elite academy system?

I've no love of the academy system and find it laughable when the likes of Guadiola & Kopp complain that their younger players need game time against experienced professionals and try to use it as justification for playing U23s in this competition. The elite system has allowed those clubs with money to hoover up all the possible talent such that there is almost no possibility of the likes of WWFC ever having a 16/17 year old break through as with say Jordan I've.
    It's a system designed to ensure those teams with the power keep the power.

• @Vincey said:
    I was impressed with Leathers last night, looked to have some real quality when on the ball. Something to work with for sure.

I also thought he looked very promising, played a few perfectly weighted passes and had a good eye for the right pass too.

• West Ham U21s had points docked for fielding an ineligible player, sending Col U through instead... Abolish this competition.