Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    On a separate note - who’s the co-commentator with Phil? Knowledgable, contributes, calls the game pretty well from what I have heard from previous games.

Alicia Povey. She has gone from strength to strength as she has become the regular co-comm. I used to just be disappointed if @bluntphil was not on comms, but now it is also disappointing if she is not on co-comms.

Thanks - heard Phil mention her name a bit earlier and had a quick google where I realised she’s also fronting the Our House videos the club.

Seems to still be playing for the ladies team also from what I can see? I’m no expert but I think she’ll have a career in broadcasting/commentary at this rate. I’d pick her over some of the commentators on MOTD already.

She plays for Maidenhead now but is also a very good futsal player. But yeah, she's got a gift for this broadcasting lark!

• According to Wikipedia* Holloway in getting two goals tonight equals his goal tally for any club other than us.

• having 2nd thoughts about going Saturday....could be messy !

• I hope we don’t get injuries, if we have to rely on this lot we are stuffed. The defending was just comical"

• We’ve shipped some goals in recent weeks. Also answers the question about how close some of the development players are to the first team

• Second string is a bit shite then? Poor old Mehmeti having to earn his minutes here after tearing up the championship.

• I honestly don't think there's a competitive game you could glean less from than that. Barely worth acknowledging.

• Let’s hope we don’t get any injuries. Development squad looks well short of quality at this level.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I always thought AAH looked to have goals in him and him except it wasn’t for us and it wasn’t when it mattered

Before tonight, 14 goals in 194 games doesn't really indicate a prolific striker!

• @davecz said:
    Let’s hope we don’t get any injuries. Development squad looks well short of quality at this level.

Well yeah, that's why they're the development squad. We've also got plenty of depth before we have to dip into those players - and if we do have an injury crisis at some point then so be it; you can't have limitless strength in depth.

• @kiscokid said:
    Second string is a bit shite then? Poor old Mehmeti having to earn his minutes here after tearing up the championship.

He’s a dilemma for sure. In a team set up with 2 holding midfielders (scowen and Thompson top choices) there’s not really a role for him. Even more so when McCleary is available. So change the formation and play him as a 10 then drop ??? At the moment we need to stop conceding so adding a flair player is not going to be high on the list of priorities for GA.

• Sounds a magical night.
    Holloway matching his career goals total in one night the standout.

Burley has had a cracking 4 days.

• Worth trying Mehmeti as a McLeary with Vokes and Hanlan with Horgs coming on if hes out of his depth? We need to get back to scoring early and then frustrating the opposition for 75 minutes!

• First of all, plus one here for Alicia, her and @bluntphil make a great team.

Secondly, of course this was the deadest of dead rubbers, and i've got no idea how strong a team Burton put out, and _ judging by the 11 on the field at the end several must have been playing out of position, _but it's not very encouraging is it? Particularly concerning is the number of goals we've given away, since it's CB that we're thinnest at in the first team.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@davecz said:
    Let’s hope we don’t get any injuries. Development squad looks well short of quality at this level.

Well yeah, that's why they're the development squad. We've also got plenty of depth before we have to dip into those players - and if we do have an injury crisis at some point then so be it; you can't have limitless strength in depth.

I know you cannot have limitless strength but you would have expected a bit more

• HTML carnage.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Worth trying Mehmeti as a McLeary with Vokes and Hanlan with Horgs coming on if hes out of his depth? We need to get back to scoring early and then frustrating the opposition for 75 minutes!

I’d vote for this.

• @davecz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@davecz said:

I know you cannot have limitless strength but you would have expected a bit more

Not at this level. We're fine apart from maybe one light at CB - but then again, it sounds like Forino is up to scratch.

• I like Alicia on co-coms reacting live to events but she needs to work on her onscreen presenting for Our House to look and sound a bit more relaxed and natural. But a great way to learn!

• Lowest ever attendance as a league club...? What a night.

• Roughly 16 seats per fan

• @floyd said:
    First of all, plus one here for Alicia, her and @bluntphil make a great team.

Secondly, of course this was the deadest of dead rubbers, and i've got no idea how strong a team Burton put out, and _ judging by the 11 on the field at the end several must have been playing out of position, _but it's not very encouraging is it? Particularly concerning is the number of goals we've given away, since it's CB that we're thinnest at in the first team.

Fourteen goals conceded in four games. After one in the previous four.

On the plus side for the development squad, last season Villa's youth team were thumped in all three of their games in this competition, including losing 8-1 at Sunderland. Six months later they won the Youth Cup and now they've strolled through our group, and took 1,000 supporters to MK. They're developing and we need to let them do that.

• Gareth Ainsworth: “I learned a lot tonight. The young lads need to get up to speed quickly because they could get into the team for league games and need to be ready. Burton were strong, and it was an important experience for us.” #WYCvBUR pic.twitter.com/80cMFhkNjV

— Wycombe Wanderers (@wwfcofficial) November 9, 2021
  • @ReturnToSenda said:
    Roughly 16 seats per fan

The fans, who attended, had enough space each to lay down and take a nap. Maybe some did?

• Another plus one for Alicia on co-comms, she makes it seem easy which it very much isn't. I do miss Bill though.

• @Twizz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Roughly 16 seats per fan

The fans, who attended, had enough space each to lay down and take a nap. Maybe some did?

Apparently a standard football stadium seat is about 1.6ft wide. How many 10ft fans do we have?!

• Disappointing tonight but not disastrous. Defence was a bit of a disappointment, as was the goalkeeper. But they’re all young and it’s just one game against more experienced opposition.

Not sure asking them to play as a back three really helped them as they struggled with how open it left them. Difficult I guess when you’ve so few players to craft a team from.

On the plus side Forino did ok but there were too many headed goals for such a big defence. Wakely struggled but I guess it was a first run out since returning from injury. Parsons was dangerous at times once on the left hand side. More a wide man than a wing back though.

Not much happening up front though. Quiet game from Mehmeti, Hanlan too, while he was on.

All in all not too much to write home about but valuable experience for all that played.

• Well what we saying ………..

• By the way, fair play to the roughly 40 Brewers fans who turned up for a “dead rubber”.