Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Graham Potter to Chelsea and Kieran McKenna to Brighton would be nice wouldn’t it?

• Pochettino seems unlikely given how well known he has made it that he would never go to a direct rival of a club he has been at before. He ruled out moving to Barcelona on the basis of his love for Espanol and having been at Spurs would surely rule him out not only at Arsenal but also WHU and Chelsea (why does everyone in London seemingly dislike THFC quite so much?).

Zidane - track record with just the one club and given that the club is Real Madrid it is pretty hard to judge whether he is any good or not given the competitive advantages that they have domestically and in European competitions.

I would be going in for Potter myself, but I really hope that he stays at Brighton as I'm really enjoying them becoming a competitive force in the Premier League.

• I think sometimes it's 'look what he's doing with that set of players, imagine what he would do with our set of internationals'

Then they realise the nurturing and getting the best out of players is completely different to herding highly sensitive, well paid, sulky Premier League cats...and soon pull their support when the talent starts bleating to the owner.

• Wonder if @Kevin_Nolan is in the frame. He's joined this forum recently so he's obviously keeping an eye.

• Whoever they choose, it is certain to lead to a cascade effect of managerial movements leading to GA being linked to QPR/Blackburn Rovers.

• Yet again it just makes me glad we have a club where a very special manager is given time to build a culture around himself and his coaching staff. We are so, so lucky.

• edited September 2022

Potter at Chelsea would be a really interesting appointment.

Can you see Chelsea going the brave, potential great English manager approach over a big name European manager? I can't.

He deserves a crack though, he's had Brighton playing well for a fair while now, and just potentially missing that cutting edge up front until this year.

Like that he played for us too!

• Just replying to your post with my thoughts on your estimate and some previous facts.

• Galling for Brighton, but that's football's ecosystem for you. Like the fish that gets swallowed by a bigger fish, who in turn gets swallowed by a bigger fish. Brighton would not hesitate to poach a manager from a Blackburn or Norwich, who in turn would not hesitate to poach someone like GA from the likes of us. I would have liked to see how high Brighton would have finished with Potter at the helm, though.

• edited September 2022

When you consider the calibre of players they lost over the summer - Cucurella and Bissouma, i.e. their two best - the way he's got them playing this season is absolutely ridiculous. A shame if he goes to Chelsea as I'll have to hate them slightly less.

• They have an embarrassingly good youth setup that they haven't always been great at bringing players through from, have a good set of young players, and Potter has a taste of European experience from his earlier roles. Would be a good appointment in what it stands for as much as anything else.

This all counts for nothing if they appoint him but give him little say in anything and then fire him as soon as he loses three games, which they tend to do.

• Let's hope they very much hesitate before poaching Blackburn's manager.

• Matthew Syed absolutely hitting the nail on the head re:VAR in The Times today. Here's the final para:

'In his seminal book Fever Pitch, Nick Hornby wrote: “Please be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller and contains less potential for unexpected delirium.” It is a sentiment that, to me, captures the essence of football — and what is wrong with VAR. A technology introduced for well-intended reasons, it has diminished the unexpected delirium in the world’s most popular game. And this is, to me, hugely regrettable.'

• I enjoyed this one of Syed's the other week

• edited September 2022

They've got a host of good players he'd got working in a great system. GroB, Trossard, MacAllister etc. Not even sure those 2 who went were their best.

The general point you make remains of course.

A pretty dim time to sack a manager, a couple of weeks after a window shuts, having just smashed 80m on someone like Fofana, who the new manager may not fancy!

• I know it's early days and he may be a half-season wonder but with Haaland at City, I would prefer to be at one of the teams whose owners are NOT expecting to compete for top four this season, myself.☺️

• Auba will mainly have signed because of his great relationship with Tuchel, too. Whoops.

• edited September 2022

The only way Haaland will be a half-season wonder is if he misses half the season through injury (which, tbf, wouldn't be enormously surprising given his history).

• Speaking of Haaland, this is a brilliant/terrifying explainer on why he's so outrageously good (albeit no Sam Vokes).

• i got the message a minute into the 7 minute video @ReturnToSenda. The guy is so unprepossessing that I switched off before his physog came into sight!

If mrs micra’s opinion is anything to go by (and of course it is) one little acknowledged aspect of the recruitment process at Adams Park seems to be the ability to identify players who are easy on the eye.

• I'm expecting GA to be tipped for the Chelsea job - cut out the middle man (middle step really) so to speak.

• Good luck to Potter. Good on Chelsea for trying an 'unproven' English manager (though cheapness might have played a part!) Do we think he'll last the season?

• Tuchel reportedly will be paid £13m in compensation.

If Potter is appointed and succeeds, he could achieve his career ambitions winning premier league titles and champions leagues and make himself very rich into the bargain

If Potter fails, he will likely make himself very rich also

Or he stays at Brighton....

• Good luck to him ! Personally I'm delighted that an English manager is being given a go at one of the top teams, rather than the usual foreign coach who's been sacked by a few other clubs already, but always gets jobs because of their name.

Of course he's going to leave Brighton for Chelsea if given the chance, the money, both for him Personally and what he'll have at his disposal will be on another level. If it doesn't work out then he'll get another job anyway, people will still remember Brighton, even Frank Lampard got another Premier job.

• Potter will be delighted with his pay rise but he is motivated by much more than money.

You don't take your wife and newborn child to northern Sweden in -20 degrees temperatures and sign a three year deal with a Tier 4 club for money.

He deserves all the credit he is getting and the opportunity to manage a Top 4 team in the Premiership and Champions League.

Hats off and all that!

• He'll go for the money and the chance to work with those players and manage at the top end of the table and a realistic chance of winning trophies and being in the Champions League. If he fails we'll all blame Chelsea, he'll take his massive pay off and get straight back in the next time someone is sacked.

Think it's on the other thread about him being inline for England but being the obvious choice has never been in the FAs thoughts and we don't know if Southgate will be off in a few months or in decades should they actually do well at the world cup.

• He seems like a really decent bloke. Not a big Chelsea sympathist, but it's hard not to want young Potter to succeed.

• Good luck to him indeed. Hope Brighton get a decent progressive coach as replacement as well. It will be a shame to lose that early momentum.