Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Notts County away in 00/01 the pitch flooded in about five minutes. Never known anything like it.

• It does happen - it just feels like Bolton's ground (whatever it's called these days) ought to be equipped to cope!

• Ah so it was, my bad!

• Someone the other day said the bottom 3 is done, but we really can't rule Fleetwood out.

Looked superb against us until the mad Red, and now won two in a row since.

• I was looking at Exeter as the one to beat. They should have lost to Posh and be behind us having played two games more. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Ultimately, if we take 51-52 points, we should be safe. That's five wins and a couple of draws.

• I think that’s the right approach, get to 51-52 points and don’t worry about the others.

• ‘Don’t worry about the others,’ as if some of us aren’t already having stress dreams about the bottom of L1

• Truro City fans to have 240 mile round trip for HOME games as they move rest of games from Plymouth Parkway to Taunton.

• We will be OK @floyd - I believe we can get 53 points looking at the games we have left and that will see us over the line.

• Very tough for the best team in Cornwall to get momentum at the level they are playing at. Not likely to be a lot of money to pay players so they could well lose the best Cornish talent to Devonian teams. Any insight on this Dev C?

• 14 die hard Eastleigh fans made the 650-mile round trip to Gateshead on Tuesday. I’m guessing this was a rescheduled fixture and that it wasn’t originally planned for a Tuesday night?? The kicker? They watched their side drop 2 points to a 97th minute penalty!

• Dreadful Derek Adams resigns as Ross County manager.

• On the contrary actually. West Cornish football is flourishing. Truro despite their ground issues have reached National League South. They have always had a large contingent of players from Devon and beyond and I believe at least in part trained in Devon even when playing matches in their home city.

Mousehole are second best at present playing at their highest ever level in Southern League Div2 and look well placed to go at least one level higher in next few years. They too attract players from far and wide with some link with Leeds that no one understands.

Helston top the Western League and look well placed to get promoted to the Southern League for I believe the first time ever.

Falmouth are booming after many years in doldrums also challenging for promotion to Southern League and in last 16 of the Vase - they have a trip to Jersey this weekend for the next round. They are attracting large gates - almost 2000 at Christmas.

Other teams like St Blazey and St Austell and Liskeard from the east having good seasons.

• @DevC is rugby still popular down there?

• Very much so in the South West. Exeter Chiefs, Bath, Gloucester, and Bristol Bears (who play at Ashton Gate) are all in the Premiership, while Cornish Pirates play in the Championship, and Plymouth Albion are in National League 1 (the third tier).

• Sorry I meant more in Cornwall at recreational level.

Cornish Pirates get about 3000 or so watch them?

• I want to support a team called Mousehole

• They have a team in the second division I believe - the Cornish Pirates. They are ambitious to reach the top level but don't currently have the facilities. Part of the complicated Truro City ground fiasco resulting in them now playing 120 miles away (equivalent to WWFC groundsharing at Derby...) relates to efforts to get a joint publicly funded "stadium for Cornwall" for the Pirates and Truro City to allow both to grow and represent the county. That never quite was deliverable and although Pirates owned Truro City for a while, they have now amicably divorced and the idea largely shelved. Truro now intend to build a much scaled down (but theoretically expandable) version.

Sure there are pockets of rugby but I wouldn't say more or less popular now than in other parts of the country.

• Has to be said using Gloucester to illustrate interest in Rugby in the main population centres of Cornwall is a little ill-informed. It is further geographically from Penzance (home of the Pirates) to Gloucester than it is say from HW to Blackpool. There are rugby teams in Devon and Cornwall at both "professional" and "recreational" level, and Cornwall does quite often win the County Championship, but I wouldn't say more or less than in other areas.

• Indeed but it is sadly pronounced Mowsell rather than Mouse Hole. They are regarded in local circles a bit of a nouveau riche club with all the emotions that go with that. The village of Mousehole actually provided the majority of the crew for the Penlee lifeboat, known for the disaster 40 odd years ago. Forgotten history for most but still very much live in the area I understand. The football club maintain close links with the RNLI as a result, much to their credit.

Back in the summer when we were nominating our favourite song, I rather wish I had this one forward. "Penlee" by The Claze (youtube.com)

• Saw Mousehole play just before Christmas. Great little ground, if completely inaccessible. Hard to see how they can go much higher in the pyramid, although they obviously have those ambitions.

• My point related to the South West, not Cornwall specifically. And Gloucester does come under the South West region.

When i was involved with High Wycombe RUFC in National League 4 (South), we regularly had away trips to the likes of Camborne, Redruth, and St Ives, and all those clubs were well-supported.

One season, we played at Camborne in the final game of the season, and had to win to be sure of avoiding relegation. They had a second row forward who was 6'7'' and 26 stone, and their leading tryscorer. He was also the landlord of a local pub.

After a series of tap penalties near our line, we just about manged to hold him out, until two of our players hit him simultaneously, and as he went down, he scraped his head on a boot cutting his forehead open, and was carted off to hospital. We then scraped the win by 13-5. Later on, he was spotted with stitches across his forehead like Frankenstein's monster, chucking the drunks out of the pub.

• You'll need a few more pound signs to move Trungle Parc near to the A30!

• They are intending to build slightly better access to be fair but its a very long way down

I imagine the bubble will burst one day.

• edited February 8

Post removed

• edited February 8

Post removed