Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• I ended up at Brentford today for one reason or another.

I bumped into an old friend, who will be familiar to many of you on here.

Paul Dennis.

He’s been one of the photographers down there for a few seasons now and he goes home and away with them. Still living down in Kent and travelling on the trains to and from games.

Was great to see him and catch up. Always willing to stop for a chat and talk football.

• An absolutely astonishing offside decision at Sheffield Wednesday today https://twitter.com/WTIDPOD/status/1621981887164997632?t=EOCFIZJWwTfOpAd4yAJLGA&s=19

• The backhanded compliments from the managers afterwards will be fantastic.

• Football can be a glamorous game. How must it feel for Marcus Rashford to score in front of 70000 adoring fans at Old Trafford.

But there is another side. Spare a thought for Lymington FC’s Tim Stephenson today.

Hospital doctor worked a night shift last night so couldn’t make the team bus for the three hour trip down to Devon but never mind he has a car he drove himself down to help out his team.

Tavistock forward breaks clear in the first minute rounds the keeper and Tim mistimes a despairing tackle. Red card.

no point showering - no time to work up a sweat. 24 hours awake, six hours driving, one minutes football. Three match ban. Glamorous game….

• That is actually mental. I was going to say I hope his team mates bought him a beer anyway for the effort, but guess he had to drive home as well !

• Some Plymouth fans are whinging because some of the Sheffield Wednesday fans chanted cheerio when their keeper went off injured yesterday. Irony!

Cooper will be a big loss for them if he’s out for a long period. Jarred his knee so maybe not too long.

• My son and I always had a chat with Paul at home and away games, he was a real nice chap and is missed at AP.

• Excellent snippet @Gary. It does occur to me that they must speak a different language in the far West Country if "jarred his knee" can suggest "maybe not too long"

• There’s a few sensible posts on their forum from posters who are more realistic to the severity of a jarred knee but those are balanced by some who want to sign an emergency loan keeper to sit on the bench - fairly sure that’s not what an emergency loan keeper is for.

• Terrible decision in the Pompey / Barnsley game yesterday.

https://twitter.com/tomlunn/status/1621944351302553600?s=46&t=-yYwD8EqxeYS-nKieWYr3Q

One that they will look back on at the end of the campaign if they miss out by a point.

• I’m pretty sure GA described Mawson’s affliction as a jarred knee.

• edited February 2023

A jarred knee sounds fairly minor doesn't it?

But google reckons

"After 2 weeks, most sprains and strains will feel better. Avoid strenuous exercise such as running for up to 8 weeks, as there's a risk of further damage. Severe sprains and strains can take months to get back to normal"

Actually i don't feel very positive reading that!

• What do Google know. They’ve never heard about the miraculous achievements of the Wycombe medical staff.

Seriuiusly though, it don’t sound good.

• Yep on the other hand, everyone knows not to google symptoms, as the mildest symptoms have you coming away convinced of horrors.

• I sometimes watch a match with the sound muted. This afternoon I listened to the commentary on the Forest v Leeds match without watching the screen unless the crowd noise increased to a volume that suggested something exciting might be happening or about to happen. I’ve occasionally found our matches a bit scrappy, niggly and shapeless but that took the biscuit.

Switched on late for Spurs’ game but have enjoyed the few minutes I’ve seen. Different class, not surprisingly.

• Not many people still mocking Forest for buying all those players now, eh?

• Another 12 points from 17 games and they will probably be safe on 36 points.

Long way to go yet though.

• I'm not convinced 36 points will be enough to guarantee staying up this year.

Its been a strange season in that the "big 6" are losing a lot more games than normal, resulting in more points being available for the rest of the clubs. For example Man City have already lost 5 and Chelsea and Liverpool have each lost 7. During the whole of last season those 3 only lost a combined 11 games.

Sean Dyche will make Everton very difficult to break down as Arsenal found out yesterday. Bournemouth's new owners have splashed the cash in this window. Southampton are probably dead and buried, but it's going to be a mad scramble to avoid the other two places which I would tip as being Leeds and either West Ham or Wolves.

• True - nowhere near home and dry yet, but it is still night and day from early in the season. Forest also made a great move in giving Cooper a new contract in the midst of the struggle. Talk about a show of faith!

• You could well be right. Only takes a small run and teams are ahead of the point a game scenario at the bottom.

Everton v Bournemouth on the last day could be a nail biter

• Loved this comment from the Poxford chat room at half time on Saturday:

"Two non footballing teams.

Make Wycombe look like Barcelona.

Got 0-0 written all over it."

• edited February 2023

City alleged to have cooked their books for years. This could be absolutely enormous. https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1622539802699505666

• Good to see the reverend simultaneously losing it, dumping on his players whilst pretending to protect them and effectively telling everyone he's never going to be a premier league manager over the weekend.

Some people really do look like youth / lower league coaches and no more. Not a great advert for others.

• I was sat right next to the Saints fans at the weekend. They really do not like the Reverend. Songs in the first half were generally supportive of the team with the occasional one about Jones. However, the 2nd half there was very little support for the team, instead it focused solely on him and renditions of a variety of songs "you don't what your doing", "you're getting sacked in the morning", "we've had a shot" and so on and so forth.

Would be surprised if he lasts past the Wolves game.

• You can't blame him for taking the opportunity, but - as much as anything - I think he's too jumped up to be a Premier League manager.

• Rumours that he's getting sacked today

• City are the Red Bull Racing of football. Every knows they’re cheating, every now and then they get caught out, nothing really changes.

• Their lawyers will keep this going forever with numerous appeals if they are formally charged. It is not good for the Premier League overall.

Best support an up and coming League 1 side from South Bucks 👍👍

• edited February 2023

They have been formally charged, and this is a very big deal - I've never seen anything like it from the Premier League. It was a four-year investigation - and it will take a very long time to complete the next stage of the process, but it's being taken very seriously, which is reassuring.

• Yes you are right regarding City being formally charged but their lawyers certainly will keep this going a long time.

The bottom line is if they have broken the rules they should be punished but we all know that is not always the case.

I can see Guardiola using this as his way out.