Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

12346»

Comments

• Plymouth form has been excellent so far this season and you have to beat what is put in front of you.
    They've played 7 of the current bottom 8 - winning 4 and drawing 3.
    They've played 3 of the middle 8 - winning 1 and drawing 2.
    They've played 3 of the top 8 - winning 2 and losing 1.

I think they've been excellent but feel they'll drop away sooner rather than later.

• If we lifted ourselves out of 2nd gear, and finish those chances we create, we could really surge up and pull away.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    If we lifted ourselves out of 2nd gear, and finish those chances we create, we could really surge up and pull away.

I think we will do exactly that when we actually get going enough to go for second gear. Still bedding in methinks.

• I think tomorrow will tell us a lot. We struggled away at Wigan, Sunderland, Oxford and MK - struggled in different ways (and MK was ruined by the decision), but in all of them we did. play well at a title contender tomorrow and i’ll be very confident indeed

• edited October 2021

Another thing to point out - as of tomorrow night we will have played away at the five clubs mentioned above by @oxfordshirechairboy. Getting them all at home in the second half of the season will give us the opportunity to make our AP magic count.

• @Shev said:
    Another thing to point out - as of tomorrow night we will have played away at the five clubs mentioned above by @oxfordshirechairboy. Getting them all at home in the second half of the season will give us the opportunity to make our AP magic count.

You can add Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday to the list of teams we play away first. We’ll end up having home games against maybe 8 out of the top 12 in the second half of the season.

• We were pretty badly beaten up by injuries for the Wigan and Sunderland games - and we didn't exactly struggle at Oxford?

• Wigan and Sunderland looked a class above any other teams I’ve seen this season.

• Perhaps Plymouth are the Wycombe of this season. Surprise package, not fancied by many before the season commenced, top at Christmas, sinking down the table after the new year (play off form but that doesn’t fit the narrative) before pissing off Posh fans by cheating their way to promotion.

They may well be stinking out the Championship next season.

• @Gary said:
    Perhaps Plymouth are the Wycombe of this season. Surprise package, not fancied by many before the season commenced, top at Christmas, sinking down the table after the new year (play off form but that doesn’t fit the narrative) before pissing off Posh fans by cheating their way to promotion.

They may well be stinking out the Championship next season.

That's exactly why I am not writing them off. 13 games is a pretty decent sample size.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We were pretty badly beaten up by injuries for the Wigan and Sunderland games - and we didn't exactly struggle at Oxford?

No bother at the back against Oxford but we didn’t create anything worthwhile. It was a good point, don’t get me wrong, but I firmly believe we could have had all 3

• We are also a team gelling and growing in confidence with a never say die attitude. I think we will be a different proposition for Sunderland and Wigan when we next meet up.

• Fully agree @Wendoverman, said something similar in my 3:12 pm post above.