Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• My brief thoughts on yesterday: it was the epitome of a professional performance and we were largely untroubled. The early goals obviously changed the shape of the game as we were able to let them have the ball for long periods without being under undue pressure. Aside from the shot flashed across from the tight angle that glanced off the crossbar, I can’t recall them having a meaningful effort. I did get a little frustrated in the last 15 minutes as I felt we became a little sloppy in possession, but it was a minor gripe. Top performances right across the park.

One thing I noticed, Stewart was appealing for a penalty as his header went in wasn’t he?!

• Anyone managed to find a set of highlights that contain both goals?

Bizarrely, WWFC have only released the 1st goal as above on twitter, DRFC have released a set of highlights which only has the 2nd goal, and Sky haven't bothered to upload the highlights at all!

• edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This early season performance has been hugely entertaining and effective and, but for the wrongful dismissal of Stewart, we might be top of the league. However I can't help but think back 12 months.
    We had been on a step curve and learning a very harsh lesson in Championship football. Credit must go to to GA, Dobbo and the players in maintaining their togetherness during that period and since - also to Rob and Pete for keeping their heads and not making any rash decisions on the management team (not that they ever suggested otherwise).
    A year on and, as some said at the time, we are a better team with more experienced players, financially stable and a defined club ethos that everyone buys into.

Two years ago our position at the top of the table did seem a bit unreal - as much a case of the fancied teams not delivering as us being so good. This year I feel like being 2nd is so much more warranted on our performances alone and I look forward to the completion of the league fixtures with huge positivity that we'll be at least top 6 and quite possibly top 2.
    Football, what a journey ....

• And when Bayo came on against the Gills, I counted two defensive headers and a clearance at corners. Class.

• The defensive side of Bayo's game is, much like his nimble footwork, underrated (though obviously not by those of us who have watched him regularly over the years).

• Bayo also confirmed after the game that filming has begun on a documentary for his final season - a promotion would certainly be a good season finale...

• Just watched the above highlight of Tools goal. In the crowd is what looks like someone ‘applauding’ with those blow up drum stick things from the Hayes era!! Is that an ironic nod to ‘drum gate’?

• I did enjoy the rendition of 'We're Wycombe Wanderers, we don't need a drum!' towards the end of the game.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Anyone managed to find a set of highlights that contain both goals?

Bizarrely, WWFC have only released the 1st goal as above on twitter, DRFC have released a set of highlights which only has the 2nd goal, and Sky haven't bothered to upload the highlights at all!

The EFL iFollow app has extended highlights of the game as well as a complete re-run of the entire match is you’re desperate.

• I thought McLeary really put a defensive shift on too. When you have someone of that skill level dropping back and getting stuck in, it says good things!

• It still staggers me that McCleary was so unwanted we picked him up outside the transfer window. A lot of clubs in league 1 and the championship dropped the ball there

• He really is quality and a class above most players in League One. Injuries permitting, he’s shaping up to be our most important player of the season and an absolute joy to watch.

• edited October 2021

There's definitely a case for him being the best player in the league. Only comparable one I can think of off the top of my head - in terms of clearly being far too good for the division - is James McClean.

• There have been a couple who were thinking of packing it in before Gaz came calling haven't there?

• McCleary left Reading in the cloud of an attempted coup, so very few Champ teams wanted to take a punt on him.

Ahead of Rotherham, in my mind we've been awful away at other good teams recently - constant losses to Sunderland, Oxford and MK may have blurred my memory.... has anyone got a stat of Ainsworths Wycombe against 'good' teams away?

• @prufrock_91 said:
    McCleary left Reading in the cloud of an attempted coup, so very few Champ teams wanted to take a punt on him.

Ahead of Rotherham, in my mind we've been awful away at other good teams recently - constant losses to Sunderland, Oxford and MK may have blurred my memory.... has anyone got a stat of Ainsworths Wycombe against 'good' teams away?

An attempted coup? Why would that influence clubs trying to sign him? Awful away to ‘good’ teams?
    We drew at Oxford, lost narrowly at MK after being unfairly reduced to ten men and drew at Wigan. I’ll give you Sunderland but even there we started and finished the game strongly and they have won all six home games this season.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    There's definitely a case for him being the best player in the league. Only comparable one I can think of off the top of my head - in terms of clearly being far too good for the division - is James McClean.

I thought Sunderland had at least 11 players too good for this shit league!

• edited October 2021

@prufrock_91 said:

That's an interesting thought, and despite being promoted from L2 on away form rather than home, that season was based on beating the bottom half of the table (only team we lost to was Morecambe, who did the double over us).

Recent seasons away v top six from memory.

2020-21 (Championship) 0-1-5 (Only draw, Swansea)
    2019-20 (League One) 1-1-3 (Beat Rotherham, drew with Fleetwood)
    2018-19 (League One) 0-2-4 (Drew with Sunderland and Portsmouth)
    2017-18 (League Two) 1-2-2 (Beat Luton, drew with Exeter and Notts County)

Not the greatest, but the two zero win seasons were relegation battles, so hardly surprising. Even in the two promotion seasons, you expect to struggle more away at a good side.

Not many teams will have a winning away record against top six sides in any division.

• As an aside, the big screen at Doncaster showed instant replays of the goals, shots, etc (well it did first half…) so we should be able to get ours up and running one day

• @bookertease said:
    As an aside, the big screen at Doncaster showed instant replays of the goals, shots, etc (well it did first half…) so we should be able to get ours up and running one day

*medium-sized screen. Ours is a big screen!

• @glasshalffull said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    McCleary left Reading in the cloud of an attempted coup, so very few Champ teams wanted to take a punt on him.

An attempted coup? Why would that influence clubs trying to sign him? Awful away to ‘good’ teams?
    We drew at Oxford, lost narrowly at MK after being unfairly reduced to ten men and drew at Wigan. I’ll give you Sunderland but even there we started and finished the game strongly and they have won all six home games this season.

It was widely reported that he and Gunter were downing tools against the manager, and thus I think Bowen who was in charge at the time, dropped them to the U23s. He has gone on record saying how much he hated his Tim's at Reading at the end. Not saying that is the reason, but as has been said on this forum, there must be a reason noone was picking him up as he is clearly to big for this league, I was just putting it forward that this may be a reason.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Just watched the above highlight of Tools goal. In the crowd is what looks like someone ‘applauding’ with those blow up drum stick things from the Hayes era!! Is that an ironic nod to ‘drum gate’?

I think that was the young football team which includes David Stockdale’s son.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Great result and a great dayout. Alarm was set for 5.15am and still going now!

Thought we were comfortable and fully deserved the 3 points.

Great to see a young footy team out enjoying the day and cheering us on, think they were supporting Stocko and was good too see. Will even let them off with those annoying horns ha.

Even the stewards got in on the act and mixed with the fans.

Only downside was a few young kids/knobheads acting hard outside the ground. Hope everyone got home safely.

Roll on Tuesday

I think i've seen you mention before that you're based in Liverpool? Why such an early start?
    Unless I'm mixing you up with one of our other exiles!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

And ever so slightly more likeable ;)

• @prufrock_91 said:

@glasshalffull said:

@prufrock_91 said:

It was widely reported that he and Gunter were downing tools against the manager, and thus I think Bowen who was in charge at the time, dropped them to the U23s. He has gone on record saying how much he hated his Tim's at Reading at the end. Not saying that is the reason, but as has been said on this forum, there must be a reason noone was picking him up as he is clearly to big for this league, I was just putting it forward that this may be a reason.

He was rumoured to be on 34k a week at Reading!
    Maybe initially he didn't want to take too much of a drop, but then our Gaz came in, sold the dream here, and everything has gone magically since.

• My understanding is that McCleary was frozen out at Reading by Paunovic and restored to the squad by Bowen, but I can’t be certain if that is what happened. I can’t see Garath being the type to cause trouble as he is an extremely personable guy, well liked by his team mates and Gaz would be reluctant to sign anyone who might disrupt the famed dressing room spirit so I think the phrase ‘attempted coup’ is inaccurate.

• ‘Attempted coup’ are you having a laugh. McCleary is a real nice guy. Anyone would disagree with a manager if he was being cast aside in such a way after good service to the club but that doesn’t amount to a ‘coup’.

• McCleary is one of the two or three players we have ever had

It is unbelievable that he plays for us