Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes (EFL Trophy)

13»

Comments

• edited October 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    Ah, from 'Mehmeti must start...' to 'I can see why he was released...' in the space of a few Gasroom months. ? Football is a cruel career.

Fans are fickle shocker.

• Why is the guy who set up our winner last week having a dribble or shot taken as worse than hoofing the ball at a big man or passing safely backwards? , what percentage of forward balls end up a goal, let him try and create, and learn and improve, it may be that he was closer than we thought , you'll never find out if he takes the simple pass every time.

• edited October 2021

There's a very heavy bias towards results with these situations - a bit like how if a player fluffs a Panenka, they get criticised far more heavily than if they mess up a 'normal' penalty.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    There's a very heavy bias towards results with these situations - a bit like how if a player fluffs a Panenka, they get criticised far more heavily than if they mess up a 'normal' penalty.

That's perfectly reasonable though, it makes everyone look stupid as well as making it easier for the Goalie to save. Very classy if it comes off but always seems like they are just trying to show off and got caught out. I'm sure the percentages aren't that bad for people who take them but bang average players probably shouldn't.

• Excellent perspective, @Shev

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

That's perfectly reasonable though, it makes everyone look stupid as well as making it easier for the Goalie to save. Very classy if it comes off but always seems like they are just trying to show off and got caught out. I'm sure the percentages aren't that bad for people who take them but bang average players probably shouldn't.

There's barely any difference in the success rate as far as I'm aware. I think a goalkeeper dives one way or the other 97% of the time - it got mentioned on the EFL highlights show at the weekend - so going down the middle in any form generally isn't a bad option.

But yeah, I seem to remember Kashket missing with a Panenka more than once?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

There's barely any difference in the success rate as far as I'm aware. I think a goalkeeper dives one way or the other 97% of the time - it got mentioned on the EFL highlights show at the weekend - so going down the middle in any form generally isn't a bad option.

But yeah, I seem to remember Kashket missing with a Panenka more than once?

I thought that might be the case but it's difficult to know if panenkas are taken by better players generally or just show offs, as a result of the slaughtering you can expect if you mess it up.

• Fair point does come across negative..... with the international call ups he's got every chance of starting Saturday. Parsons possibly on the bench too?

• From his performances so far Parsons looks some player. Would love to see him come off the bench at home to make his league debut.

• Yes. Gareth singled him out for praise after Tuesday and he rarely mentions individuals, usually preferring to reflect on the overall performance of the team.

Assuming no fresh injuries, illnesses or births this week, there are two matchday squad places up for grabs, with Gape, Pendlebury, Parsons and TJ pushing for them. (I’m assuming he won’t do the unthinkable and remove Bayo from the 18, thus creating a third space).

• Just shows the great squad depth we have @LeedsBlue. I would want all of those players in my matchday squad. I'd like to see Wheeler get a start on Saturday.

• Anis is a talented young player who is learning his trade. He will be fine.