Skip to content

Man City

Comments

• Hmmm, I selected postage this morning. It would be handy to know for sure whether my tickets will indeed be posted, or if I'll need to collect them on the day...

• For non-US international fans, the game is also being shown on Bein Sports.

• edited September 2021

Warning though, Bein Sports is the channel that thinks it's acceptable to employ Richard Keys and Andy Gray.

• edited September 2021

I assume they will be hoping to make a welcome return to Rupert's News UK when it launches. It can't all be Piers Morgan can it?

• @drcongo said:
    Warning though, Been Sports is the channel that thinks it's acceptable to employ Richard Keys and Andy Grey.

Correct, but sadly for international fans, it's one of the only ways to watch live sport.

• I noticed it when I was in Cyprus a couple of years ago...I had forgotten all about them. All TV presenters should always bear in mind that however popular you think you are, you are always replaceable and are soon forgotten. John Barnes seemed to be the pundit for every game though!

• I’m quite astounded at the appetite for the game really - I’m guesstimating that level 1/2 are approx 1,000 each. So we’re probably looking at taking 2,500-3,000. Given the journey time, midweek, school night etc I think that is remarkable.

• @Glenactico said:
    I’m quite astounded at the appetite for the game really - I’m guesstimating that level 1/2 are approx 1,000 each. So we’re probably looking at taking 2,500-3,000. Given the journey time, midweek, school night etc I think that is remarkable.

Agreed, after long round trips to Sunderland and Oxford (Yeah , it really shouldn't take that long) and being busy at work I've decided this one midweek is too much time and money for me. Has to be a minor element of not wanting to have that trip and expense to watch us get hammered by reserves too, although we live in hope as always.

• For all the reasons @StrongestTeam mentions I figured we’d take just over a thousand. It seems to be at least double that, which is fantastic.

• As a STH I find it slightly baffling that we can’t get 5,000 for a big home game sometimes, but can take 4,000 away to Villa midweek and 2,000 to City for the 3rd round of the League Cup.

It’s a good reminder that a lot of people are actually floating/casual supporters that will make an effort for the glamour games but can happily skip some or all regular season games. Not a criticism of those folks - I suppose I just find it strange that those of us that go every week as a matter of course are actually the minority.

• @Glenactico said:
    As a STH I find it slightly baffling that we can’t get 5,000 for a big home game sometimes, but can take 4,000 away to Villa midweek and 2,000 to City for the 3rd round of the League Cup.

It’s a good reminder that a lot of people are actually floating/casual supporters that will make an effort for the glamour games but can happily skip some or all regular season games. Not a criticism of those folks - I suppose I just find it strange that those of us that go every week as a matter of course are actually the minority.

Do fireworks create a glamour game?

• I suspect @Glenactico that we just take a higher proportion of the home attendance to these glamour cup games. Take the 4,000 approx home supporters we get for the average league game. Take out the extremes at either end (kids and very elderly who are unlikely to travel) and I reckon you've got the bulk of the 2000+ tickets we've sold so far. Of course there'll be a few floating fans and northern exiles in there as well, but overall I reckon more of the hardcore make an effort for these matches.

• Exactly, these sort of games are the reward for the years watching some scuffle fest bores of games etc.

And just a reminder that we've currently got a great set up and to enjoy these times as they won't last forever.

• Loads of Wycombe fans in the north aren’t there? I remember going to Hillsboro on a Friday night in 03/04 and there were more locals in the away end than Bucks residents.

• @floyd, I know at least 2 coming from Preston to watch the mighty Wycombe at Man City.
    Although they panicked and bought tickets early in the home end!
    There's going to be sat on their own I think ...

• I am a season ticket holder but not hardcore as I cannot justify the time and cash for home AND away games sadly. Whoever ventures North I hope they have a good time and keep us in the hat!

• @floyd said:
    Loads of Wycombe fans in the north aren’t there? I remember going to Hillsboro on a Friday night in 03/04 and there were more locals in the away end than Bucks residents.

Gareth Ainsworth's Yorkshire army!

• @Twizz said:
    @floyd, I know at least 2 coming from Preston to watch the mighty Wycombe at Man City.
    Although they panicked and bought tickets early in the home end!
    There's going to be sat on their own I think ...

Does their surname start with a B out of interest?

• I reckon at least 1/3 of supporters will be northern exiles. That’s based on absolutely fuck all but I stand by it.

• How many northern exiles do you think we have @Oxford Blue?!

• Not loads but they’ll all be out for this game.

• Maybe not all…

Still undecided

• @Malone they have different surnames - but one of them is a "B" the other a "G".
    I'm pretty sure they've never been in a group togther.

• What are folks doing for parking close to the Etihad?

• @Twizz said:
    @Malone they have different surnames - but one of them is a "B" the other a "G".
    I'm pretty sure they've never been in a group togther.

Ah no worries. Preston leapt out as I knew a family who were huge fans (Exeter away midweek in checkatrade Cup type level), and the mum moved there. Potentially one of the sons too.

• Just seen City demolish AFC Richmond. Starting to get a bit nervous.

• Will there be commentary on 98FM ?

• With a massive game at the franchise next Saturday, maybe Gareth will use the wider squad players at Man City and give McCarthy, Gape, Wheeler, Hanlon, KaiKai and Mehmeti a run out on Tuesday.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    With a massive game at the franchise next Saturday, maybe Gareth will use the wider squad players at Man City and give McCarthy, Gape, Wheeler, Hanlon, KaiKai and Mehmeti a run out on Tuesday.

I'd rotate as much as possible - McCleary's interview after the game yesterday made it pretty clear where our priorities (rightly) lie - but fielding a suspended player might be a bit of a stretch ?