Skip to content

Man City

Comments

• I think Man City play a strong second XI. The reason they keep winning this thing is that they are so deep they can barely play a weak side. Also, Pep may see it as an opportunity for minutes.

• @Shev said:
    I think Man City play a strong second XI. The reason they keep winning this thing is that they are so deep they can barely play a weak side. Also, Pep may see it as an opportunity for minutes.

Like a board meeting fetishist

• For a club like us its a free hit against a Premier League team...its early enough so as not to destroy our season, fans seem to be willing to go and see it and its a cup for goodness sake! If they all field the youth team and we get to the final I'm all for it!

• @Wendoverman said:
    For a club like us its a free hit against a Premier League team...its early enough so as not to destroy our season, fans seem to be willing to go and see it and its a cup for goodness sake! If they all field the youth team and we get to the final I'm all for it!

It'd be madness to start putting the development squad in :)

• I can't make it on Tuesday, but when I think about the fact that we've been in the semi-final of both this country's major cups in the time I've been supporting Wycombe, I can't help but get misty eyed.

• @Malone it read badly but what I meant was if we face a Premier League second eleven in each round and get to the final I would take it. I agree though strong side but would make Mk game a worry. We don't want another 2-0!

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Malone it read badly but what I meant was if we face a Premier League second eleven in each round and get to the final I would take it. I agree though strong side but would make Mk game a worry. We don't want another 2-0!

I dare say we could bring 4 or 5 in, without weakening the overall line-up.
    However, it'd be a brave call to make McCarthy or Gape's first games back this one.

I'd probably start very similar to the last game, and if it's out of sight early in the second half, then get McCleary and others a rest.

• Going back to what people were saying about excluding all the PL teams... That would be crazy, but limiting it to those who aren't in Europe could work - although I'd pity the poor sod who had to re-design the structure of the competition to accommodate that change!

• Taking the Europe teams out loses the big attraction to the sponsors, whilst not ending the problem of the Burnley/Southampton types still making changes.

The only way is to significantly beef up the money in the prize pot.

• edited September 2021

@Malone said:
    Taking the Europe teams out loses the big attraction to the sponsors, whilst not ending the problem of the Burnley/Southampton types still making changes.

The only way is to significantly beef up the money in the prize pot.

If the appeal to sponsors was that high, I think they'd attract something a bit more prominent/minted than Carabao!

A 'best of the rest' cup isn't a bad idea, though, I don't think. At least your Burnleys and Southamptons would get a shot at winning it.

• @Malone said:
    Taking the Europe teams out loses the big attraction to the sponsors, whilst not ending the problem of the Burnley/Southampton types still making changes.

If the “big” teams already in Europe were not in then the Burnley /Southampton have a better chance of winning and so being in Europe next season, so perhaps not so inclined to make changes.

And would prevent the usual moans of too many matches by those involved in European competitions as well as all the domestic trophies.

• Man City's second string is still a top half (if not, top 6) prem team.

To rest players would be madness and a bit of a kick in the teeth to those of us who are spending hundreds to be there. Time off work and a lot of money...I want to see us give it a go.

We held Mourinho's title winning Chelsea, why not Man City? And to think City won't take it seriously....look at the recent history of winners...

• City set to give youngsters a chance according to sky sports, due to increasing injury list.

• No point trying to fix the League Cup while football generally is so completely buggered. As someone already pointed out, as long as finishing 18th in the Prem is worth millions more than winning an actual cup, club powers will chase the cash. Sadly there are probably a fair few fans of those clubs these days who would go along with it.

I remember how disappointed I was when even Martin O'Neill played a weakened Villa team in Europe to save his best for the next league game.

I'd love to be going up tomorrow but sadly the logistics make it impossible.

• Just noticed Man City U-23s or whatever are playing Doncaster tomorrow night in the Pizza Cup so unlikely they'll have a bunch of (extremely expensive and talented) kids up against us.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    City set to give youngsters a chance according to sky sports, due to increasing injury list.

Well…youngsters, yes, but not just youngsters.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mancity-delap-palmer-mbete-lavia-21611958

“City’s subs bench was made up of stars Kevin De Bruyne, Phil Foden, Ferran Torres and Riyad Mahrez, who could all step in against Wycombe.”

Oh. We’ll be fine.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Just noticed Man City U-23s or whatever are playing Doncaster tomorrow night in the Pizza Cup so unlikely they'll have a bunch of (extremely expensive and talented) kids up against us.

Football is very odd sometimes isn't it? I'm sure whatever team City put out they'll be more than capable of beating us, but that's not going to stop me thinking we're going to win.

• PBoPBo
    edited September 2021

If anyone hasn't received tickets for tomorrow, the club have provided a link for you to fill in your transaction number, to ensure that they take the ticket for collection to the ticket office.

Here's the direct link, I know it looks dodgy...(oh! click a random document link, that's safe, isn't it)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScgASiMUy1dYyY_3cJelzONliXzndfx6jSwNchBpcfnNxwJ0A/viewform

but it's the same link they quote on the official site, if you feel more comfortable clicking on there:

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/september/man-city-date-confirmed/?fbclid=IwAR0zd8iUEh6Yy2bwFV6X1veCEibayYLipx7usx2bM2VrWByNtYYopSlwZ6g

• @PBo said:

“City’s subs bench was made up of stars Kevin De Bruyne, Phil Foden, Ferran Torres and Riyad Mahrez, who could all step in against Wycombe.”

Oh. We’ll be fine.

It's that moment when you realize you left your suitcase full of money at home and have to use gold bars from your local bank vault instead...

• Thanks @PBo really helpful

• With Chelsea this coming weekend and a few on the injury list, local press is reporting that Pep is chucking in a number of the youngsters. Nevertheless, the headline is that it's a foregone conclusion: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-vs-wycombe-prediction-21621914

• I had as close to zero confidence as possible up to now, but the combination of callow youngsters and overconfidence that it is impossible for them to lose has me at the heady heights of 1% confidence.

• Man City 1-2 Wycombe - Baird & Devine…

• @Shev - even the betting firms have more confidence in Wycombe, 30/1 looks worth a punt to me.

• Anyone know last nights attendance!

• @johnthehair said:
    Anyone know last nights attendance!

Just over 30,000 I think they said on TV.

• @JohnBoy said:

@johnthehair said:
    Anyone know last nights attendance!

Just over 30,000 I think they said on TV.

Really?! That's great if true as it "felt" around 20k. With 2 massive tier 3 stands totally empty, tonnes of obvious gaps in tier 2 and even tier 1 not full.

• I did see over 30,000 on TV announced too. I would have got killed in the prediction league!

• @Shev said:
    I did see over 30,000 on TV announced too. I would have got killed in the prediction league!

As long as they pay out on 30k, then happy days!

Might still be less than 150k, but better than nothing.
    And about as good an experience as a 6-1 battering could ever be!

• Will there be a highlights programme on poor man's (non away attender's) telly?