Skip to content

Sam Vokes Signs

Comments

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2021

Has to be Vokes and Kashket doesn't it? League One defences won't know what to do. I'm salivating at the prospect. (Or it could be all these pictures of burgers the kids keep posting).

• I think this is the season Kashket finally has a really BIG year. 30 goals between them, dare I say?

• To be fair, I had a look at the Stoke forum and, although there are a large number of posters, probably a majority, who are just relentlessly negative, there are a fair few that say that he was played in a role he was unsuited for and would do well for us if we played to his strengths - that is crosses into the box.

It's surely also the case that you will be less tolerant of a player's failings if your club has paid £7 million or 10 million or whatever it was Stoke paid for him.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    To be fair, I had a look at the Stoke forum and, although there are a large number of posters, probably a majority, who are just relentlessly negative, there are a fair few that say that he was played in a role he was unsuited for and would do well for us if we played to his strengths - that is crosses into the box.

It's surely also the case that you will be less tolerant of a player's failings if your club has paid £7 million or 10 million or whatever it was Stoke paid for him.

Hopefully he can other somthing here but his wilki page shows a very low number of goals per game
    Will he be our highest earner.

• edited July 2021

For the Stoke mockers, I would just say:

1. Big step down from second to third tier.
    2. We have a history of getting the most out of players, whether that is developing younger players or helping old war horses fall back in love with the game.

It may not work out, but I am far more confident than otherwise, basing my hopes on him playing for a nurturing club with great management and dressing room in the third tier, rather than being stuck as the backup orc in Mordor F.C. in the second tier.

• @Shev said:
    the backup orc in Mordor F.C. in the second tier.

Nice turn of phrase

• Mordor F.C. would have won the European title but for West Ham hooligans running amok at their place.

• Well, I guess that’s one way to answer the “can we replace uche ikpeazu?” question.

It’s signings like these that make me wish there was a reveal all documentary series showing just how GA and Dobbo keep pulling these rabbits of the hat. But then, I don’t want other teams to know their secrets!

• Or a rarebit on this occasion

• @TheDancingYak said:
    Well, I guess that’s one way to answer the “can we replace uche ikpeazu?” question.

It’s signings like these that make me wish there was a reveal all documentary series showing just how GA and Dobbo keep pulling these rabbits of the hat. But then, I don’t want other teams to know their secrets!

I thought Rob C just writes an open letter to the fans telling GA what to do and they jump buy good players and play better...

• edited July 2021

May be wrong, but I think Andrew Howard takes most of the honours on this one?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Or a rarebit on this occasion

Superb

(£8 please)

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    May be wrong, but I think Andrew Howard takes most of the honours on this one?

That is also a fair point and a good shout. I know some have had a negative view on him in the past in regards to his fairly hard nosed approach to things - but I suspect that goes a long way around the negotiating table.

That said, the approach Of how we are as a club that attracts players to come to us sits firmly at GA and Dobbos door. I guess what I am saying is, Great team effort on and off the pitch.

• @Wendoverman said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    Well, I guess that’s one way to answer the “can we replace uche ikpeazu?” question.

I thought Rob C just writes an open letter to the fans telling GA what to do and they jump buy good players and play better...

That is a curiosity of coincidence that our league fortunes seemed to pick up after that letter. Guess we’ll never know exactly the effects it really had.

I’m sure there are some that think the letter came a game too late ??

• I sat behind Sam in the press seats last night and was taken by his engagement with the young lads in the development squad watching with him. He was totally engrossed in the match and was on his feet when Horgan scored. I think he’s bought into the Wycombe ethos on day one. A terrific signing.

• Wow! Looks like we've got through yet another 'No new players?????????' cycle of the Ainsworth regime, just before the first game. Not many can be unhappy with this one...or can they? I was a bit dubious about us finally having the 'marquee signing' that so many have been underwhelmed by in the past...but Sam Vokes seems like a good character itching to put the past behind him and I'm sure if there is anyone who can get the best out of him this season it is Gareth, Dobbo and the Generals. (Does he automatically become a Colonel?) Cannot wait to get back to league football!

• Speaking to a Stoke fan last night.. He said Vokes was played in the wrong system and fully expects us to play to his strengths... said we'd go up too

• Samuel looked like he had put on a bit of muscle in the summer. Same with McCarthy. Or those shirts are flattering. In which case I shall be off to the shop shortly.

• Make sure you leave in plenty of time @AndyGrahamFanClub

• @LX1 said:
    Make sure you leave in plenty of time @AndyGrahamFanClub

Too soon. Too soon. Still not over it

• A very entertaining read of the Yellows forum, dripping with envy of course

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    A very entertaining read of the Yellows forum, dripping with envy of course

The PNL freaks are distraught, the City's number one sport, Rowing have had a disaster in Tokyo.
    The only way they will get back on the sporting map, is if the Olympic committee introduce 'Aunt Sally' in Paris 2024.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Arrived home yesterday after a week soaking up the south coast sun (and being buffeted by gale force winds) so probably more challenged than usual in getting to grips with about 250 comments so didn’t understand what @TheAndyGrahamFanClub (every damned one of them) needed to get over before heading for the club shop and wasn’t sure which club had a Yellows Forum or what was causing them to drip with envy. Not a pretty sight.

• @micra said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Arrived home yesterday after a week soaking up the south coast sun (and being buffeted by gale force winds) so probably more challenged than usual in getting to grips with about 250 comments so didn’t understand what @TheAndyGrahamFanClub (every damned one of them) needed to get over before heading for the club shop and wasn’t sure which club had a Yellows Forum or what was causing them to drip with envy. Not a pretty sight.

Morning @micra i hope the weather on the Coast was good for you. I’m surprised you didn’t get the club it’s a nearish neighbour who has a predominantly yellow first team kit hence “yellow forum”.

• I thought that must be the club but didn’t know what, in particular, they might envy.
    Bootiful weather on Hayling.

• Stupid boy. Just look at thread title!

• @micra said:
    Stupid boy. Just look at thread title!

Totally understandable, they envy us in so many ways picking just one is difficult

• I love how Oxford see us as inconsequential but have a whole thread dedicated to us (in preseason, no less).

• Just read through their forum they do spout some
    Cr@p , think they will be in for a shock as will many other teams this season when we play them . It’s about time we gave them a good spanking.

• Indeed, a lot of opposition fans are totally writing us off again and underestimating us. Can't wait to upset them all again