Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @Wanderers82 said:
    Jesus this message board is turning ridiculous, why are we talking about cheese? because we asked JJ as stupid question on which is his favourite cheese? can we get back to the original thread ? if people are so interested talking about cheese can you set up a separate thread?!!

As a general gasroom rule, if fish or cheese come up, just leave for 2 pages as the tedious puns begin.
    For the halibut etc etc, yawn.

• Much better to have comments like 'this is shit!' 'Ainsworth has no clue!' Rather than all this cheese nonsense Grommit.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Much better to have comments like 'this is shit!' 'Ainsworth has no clue!' Rather than all this cheese nonsense Grommit.

But have we signed anyone this morning, have we?

• @Wanderers82 said:
    Jesus this message board is turning ridiculous, why are we talking about cheese? because we asked JJ as stupid question on which is his favourite cheese? can we get back to the original thread ? if people are so interested talking about cheese can you set up a separate thread?!!

Fair point, it's Emmenthal direction this thread has taken

• Mature cheddar is a very underrated cheese. I don't trust anyone who buys mild cheddar, obviously a wrongun.

• @drcongo said:
    Mature cheddar is a very underrated cheese. I don't trust anyone who buys mild cheddar, obviously a wrongun.

You can judge a man by the distance between his eyes, the length of his trousers, and his preferred cheddar

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Fair point. It is starting to grate a bit.

Sorry @ReturnToSenda. I read admiringly most of the output you post on here and Twitter but that is my favourite thing you’ve ever written

• edited August 2021

@bookertease said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Fair point. It is starting to grate a bit.

Sorry @ReturnToSenda. I read admiringly most of the output you post on here and Twitter but that is my favourite thing you’ve ever written

[Bows]

• After yesterday, it is now certain that whoever we bring in needs to be an excellent player even to get into the match day squad.

With the news that Tafazolli is due back this week we will have the height in the back 5 that is needed and we will have yet another goal threat.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    After yesterday, it is now certain that whoever we bring in needs to be an excellent player even to get into the match day squad.

With the news that Tafazolli is due back this week we will have the height in the back 5 that is needed and we will have yet another goal threat.

We have definitely missed that routine of outswinging corner for Taf to head back across goal. With Vokes around, we could have some fun with that!

• We need a quick athletic player to come on with 20 mins to go. A raw one from the under 23s will do just fine. Just be good to have a someone to stretch opposition players as they tire.

• I thought Mehmeti did that when he can on yesterday @TheAndyGrahamFanClub. He was fast and very direct and really put the wind up their defenders.

• The way the ball seemed stuck to his foot when he did that run was reminiscent of Eze I though

Mehmeti is a superstar in waiting and at some point he is going to win a game for us single-handedly

• Would be quite special if he did it away at Cambridge

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@drcongo said:
    Mature cheddar is a very underrated cheese. I don't trust anyone who buys mild cheddar, obviously a wrongun.

You can judge a man by the distance between his eyes, the length of his trousers, and his preferred cheddar

Don’t forget the number of sugars they have in their tea. More sugar = more likely to be on the wrong side of the law.

There is one exception to this rule. And that’s if you have had a little bit of a fright, and then one sugar is acceptable.

• @eric_plant said:
    The way the ball seemed stuck to his foot when he did that run was reminiscent of Eze I though

Mehmeti is a superstar in waiting and at some point he is going to win a game for us single-handedly

Hopefully he signs a long term contract with us before he does that.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Would be quite special if he did it away at Cambridge

I think it would be more special if he did it at an Oxford, Sunderland, MK game..

• edited August 2021

@Vincey said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Would be quite special if he did it away at Cambridge

I think it would be more special if he did it at an Oxford, Sunderland, MK game..

Oh for sure, was just thinking it would be nice as that was 'the Eze game'! He can do it at all of those.

• Can't blame the lad from wanting to better himself.
    Am sure Barton's relaying that to their fans.

• Bristol paid £150k in a tribunal ruling determined just a month ago. Lincoln are now offering less. Player wants to leave. Has to be a strong possibility that Barton has made up/exaggerated our interest to try to get Lincoln to pay more. May be proven wrong but I’d be surprised.

• I'd love to see us bring in a couple of loanees before the transfer window closes.

Luke Matheson - young (18), athletic full-back from Wolverhampton Wanderers. Can play both sides and would be a great back-up for Obita.

Brandon Cooper - centre-back (21) at Swansea City. Looks like Russell Martin has thrown him straight in the team due to injuries. Might be less than likely than I'd hoped.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I'd love to see us bring in a couple of loanees before the transfer window closes.

Luke Matheson - young (18), athletic full-back from Wolverhampton Wanderers. Can play both sides and would be a great back-up for Obita.

Brandon Cooper - centre-back (21) at Swansea City. Looks like Russell Martin has thrown him straight in the team due to injuries. Might be less than likely than I'd hoped.

Does he play both sides? He's always billed as a right back, or even right wing back.

• He has played left-back and left wing-back too. He would really give us some added flexibility.

Would have loved to see Ryan Haynes signed permanently from Newport County. He looks like a fabulous left wing-back but has signed on for another year at Rodney Parade.

• @DevC said:
    Bristol paid £150k in a tribunal ruling determined just a month ago. Lincoln are now offering less. Player wants to leave. Has to be a strong possibility that Barton has made up/exaggerated our interest to try to get Lincoln to pay more. May be proven wrong but I’d be surprised.

Would be a strange move even for Barton's standards to openly name a club who has made a bid if it wasn't at least slightly true - surely you'd stick to the "unnamed club" narrative?

• Can’t hurt that both Ainsworth and Akinfenwa went over and put their arm round him after that Rochdale game.

• @Chris said:
    Can’t hurt that both Ainsworth and Akinfenwa went over and put their arm round him after that Rochdale game.

I don't know. Have you seen the size of Bayo's arms?

• @DevC said:
    Bristol paid £150k in a tribunal ruling determined just a month ago. Lincoln are now offering less. Player wants to leave. Has to be a strong possibility that Barton has made up/exaggerated our interest to try to get Lincoln to pay more. May be proven wrong but I’d be surprised.

He's in the last year of his contract so that should lower his price, and he doesn't seem to want to sign a new one

• No idea why you'd want to leave Barton's care...

""Optimism, I’ve been reading a lot of Ernest Shackleton this week, trapped on the polar ice caps for two years, so look, we’re nowhere near that level of rescue and salvage, but we’re scrapping away here to turn the tide around.

"Again, I sit here today and I’m absolutely confident we’ll get promoted and absolutely confident in this group, but we’re fully aware of the work we’ve got to do and we’ve lost three games of the season and we’ve not scored in the past two and that’s a worry.""